Subject: need recommendations for Young Girls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spring Line
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have three daughters - ages 12, 10, and 6. Looking for non-violent, non gory, game with (as they put it) "girls in it!" (meeples ok too) We have and enjoy Carcassone, Scotland Yard, Ticket to Ride, Sleeping Queens. Have Pandemic but they bicker over who can be the girl characters.... cuz boys are gross...

Considering Stone Age, Loch Ness and Santiago de Cuba but haven't played any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a good choice.

Zooloretto - girl animals in it

Fauna - no girls or boys, but animals and they might learn a thing or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niagara - A beautifully produced game about collecting gems from the banks of the Niagara while avoiding falling off the waterfall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls are the same way when it comes to female characters.
I know there are non-violent game with female characters as I can see them in my head but I can't quite remember what games they are.
Many games with characters have some form of abstracted violence in them. Depending on your definition of violence you could check into The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac and The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus. They are press your luck games that do involve player character death via traps. Think Indiana Jones.

Flash Duel: Second Edition is a fighting game so it is violent but it is excellent for kids. The mechanism is a great counting and deduction system, it has several female characters and it can be played as an all of them against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only issue with The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac is that the female bits are busting out all over. That may not give your girls the kind of message you want. I tweaked our character cards in photoshop, and left our figures unpainted so it isn't quite so noticeable, but it still irks me. yuk

Perhaps they would like Takenoko. No girl characters but an adorable panda!

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are non-gender specific, cooperative and I like that the game board is always different.

Nuns on the Run only has female characters, and it involves novices trying to sneak around the Abby at night without getting caught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Pastiche? It has no characters, no meeples. It's about blending colors to create pictures. All three of your daughters will be able to play it. I should have checked whether it's still easily available, but I didn't.

Another game without male or female characters is Finca. It does have meeples, but they aren't associated with any particular character. I've taught it to a 10-year old who caught on right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spring Line
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks! daddy's got some homwork to do tonight researching these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
photojenic wrote:
Perhaps they would like Takenoko. No girl characters but an adorable panda!

Takenoko is a good choice. One of the cutest games in my collection that always gets a lot of "Awwww"s when I bring it to the table. And...it's a good game. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Johnson
United States
Orinda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter, of course!
It works for all ages, is a good mix of simplicity plus strategy, and girls like the theme, in my experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 12YO and a 5YO. They love Forbidden Island. I'm getting Love Letter for them next, and hopefully Mice and Mystics soon - I've had M&M recommended every time I've asked this kind of question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten very good responses to Winner's Circle from girls of that age. The nicely colored horses are a real draw, and it seems that, in general, more girls are attracted to horses than boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Tales of the Arabian Nights. I believe some of the characters are girls (or could become girls depending on your fortune in the game). The game is story driven and non-confrontational. All the women in my family, wife and nieces, love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old daughter's current favourite games are:

1. Zooloretto
2. Dr. Shark
3. Sleeping Queens

There's no characters in Zooloretto, but it's a cute set collection game that is super easy to learn and plays in under an hour.

Dr Shark is a fun dexterity game where you're trying to collect pieces of various jigsaw puzzles - sometimes you identify pieces by shape, sometimes by feel (texture), other times you have to sort by colour etc. There are female characters, done in a cutesy cartoony style:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Thorson
United States
Albert Lea
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second, or is third now- both Zooloretto and Takenoko. Cute animals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spring Line
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
United States
redondo beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 girls 6 and 8 - they love Forbidden Island and Hey thats my fish (no female characters, but I got the deluxe version and it has really nice penguins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife Safari - My 7 year old daughter loves this one. She also enjoys Qwirkle, Zooloretto, Sultan and Sheepland. Also, check out Dawn Under. My 4 year old daughter loves this one and holds her own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.