Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the rulebook's description of Peril is quite.. lacking. Irritatingly so.

Does it essentially mean "this treachery card only effects the player that pulled it from the deck"? Or is there more to it?

If you're playing solo, Peril is essentially nothing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it would've been nice if they had fleshed that out a little bit more. I took a quick spin through most of the treacheries that have it and it does seem that most of them do just affect the player that drew it. But there were a couple of them that involved decisions that would either affect the whole group (whether or not to shuffle in another Black Rider) or could outright hurt another player. Since you're supposed to make those decisions without conferring with the other players that gives the opportunity to play in such a way that benefits you most regardless of how it affects the others, which seems thematic with the idea of being corrupted by the ring.

Also, I'm not sure but I also think it means that other players can't cancel any treacheries with Peril. The rules state that other players can't play responses during the staging of the treachery. Is the staging the act of drawing the treachery? Or would it be after the players have decided whether or not to allow it to resolve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Also, I'm not sure but I also think it means that other players can't cancel any treacheries with Peril. The rules state that other players can't play responses during the staging of the treachery. Is the staging the act of drawing the treachery? Or would it be after the players have decided whether or not to allow it to resolve?

Only the player who drew the Peril card can cancel it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grex22 wrote:
Does it essentially mean "this treachery card only effects the player that pulled it from the deck"? Or is there more to it?

If you're playing solo, Peril is essentially nothing, right?

Peril basically does two things: prevents the players from discussing how to resolve a card when there are decisions to be made, and prevents players other than the one who drew the card from playing responses to that card.

In solo, Peril has no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, guys -- I guess this makes more sense while looking at it in conjunction with the new staging step rules introduced for The Black Riders (where each player reveals a card that is "assigned" to them, which I suppose may only affect them if it has the Peril keyword).

There's a lot to chew on in the new rules for this expansion, so I wish they would've given a few more examples or fleshed out descriptions a bit more. As someone that plays this game several times a week, even I was left scratching my head a bit at some of the rules confusions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.