Subject: Questions from a new player... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steeve Beaupre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing this game recently and wanted to know:

When encountering any ice that allows clicks to break subroutines, does that change the usual way to break subroutines (via icebreakers)?

I see the term facechecking a lot on these forums (along with other lingo) and I wanted to make sure I understand. Facechecking = running just to see what the ice is then jacking out (or dealing with subroutines in the case of the outermost ice)?

Any other important terminology I should know?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asidwolf wrote:

When encountering any ice that allows clicks to break subroutines, does that change the usual way to break subroutines (via icebreakers)?

I don't know what you mean by "does that change the usual way." The point of the click-breaks is that, as an alternative to using icebreakers to break subroutines, you can spend clicks, if you have them left in your turn of course.

Quote:
I see the term facechecking a lot on these forums (along with other lingo) and I wanted to make sure I understand. Facechecking = running just to see what the ice is then jacking out (or dealing with subroutines in the case of the outermost ice)?

Facechecking is, in effect, running blind, and without icebreakers. It's a calculated risk on the runner's part--does the Corp have money to rez hurting ice, or will the corp let the run go? Depends who you're playing (both what corp and what you know of the player).

Quote:
Any other important terminology I should know?

Thanks!

Oh, lots. Meta, the ongoing click-credit exchange rate...I'm not sure we can list it. Just hang around here while and you'll soak it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Beaupre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what you're asking with the clicks, yes it does change the way you interact with ice. More specifically (aside from spending a click to do it, of course), you do not need an icebreaker of equal or greater strength in order to interact with that part of the ice. As a general rule, anything above the subroutines doesn't require icebreakers to interact.

Facechecking is running into unrezzed ice and having it rezzed on you, forcing you to encounter it.

For more terms, look here. Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Beaupre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much so, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've always found it interesting that there doesn't appear to be more overlap between video gamers and board/card gamers on BGG. Face-checking is a term that's been used so long in video games (which I'm sure is how it eventually ended up in this game) that I can't even remember when it first started, and I'm always surprised at how how many people haven't heard the term before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
I've always found it interesting that there doesn't appear to be more overlap between video gamers and board/card gamers on BGG. Face-checking is a term that's been used so long in video games (which I'm sure is how it eventually ended up in this game) that I can't even remember when it first started, and I'm always surprised at how how many people haven't heard the term before.

I guess it can depend on the game. I consider myself a video gamer, certainly, and I understood what "facecheck" meant, but I hadn't ever encountered the term. If, as I note, it comes from certain types of games (I don't do much with RTS game), that could explain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I've never heard the term facecheck and I'm as gamer as they come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I've never heard the term facecheck and I'm as gamer as they come.

Likewise. I can't think of a single other game that I've heard that term used in. But it's understandable well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I've heard the term facecheck in League of Legends lingo. From what I can tell, it means pretty much what we mean: you scout face-first. I think it's more fitting in Netrunner because of an alternate meaning of the word 'check:' "a sudden stopping or arresting of forward movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:

Huh! For some reason, I thought it came from hockey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apparently, the use of the word might just not be as expansive in gaming as I thought it was.

Agent Archer wrote:
I've heard the term facecheck in League of Legends lingo. From what I can tell, it means pretty much what we mean: you scout face-first. I think it's more fitting in Netrunner because of an alternate meaning of the word 'check:' "a sudden stopping or arresting of forward movement.

This is where someone is most likely to have heard it (someone asked about genre earlier), since this is the most widely played PC game in history (it took over World of Warcraft around a year ago if I recall correctly). I definitely think LoL can be credited for having the most widespread use of the term.

I believe (but have no proof for this) that the term came from a predecessor term called "face-pulling" from MMOs back in the day of Everquest, making it a very old term for me, but I can't recall the first time I heard the term called "face-checking" vs "face-pulling". Defenders of the Ancients, maybe?

In any case, in gaming context, it means determining whether or not you are about to stumble into a trap by simply walking straight into it. In the context of League of Legends, it typically means walking into bushes that can hide enemies. Once you're in the bush, enemies that are also in the bush are revealed, so you did find out whether or not there are enemies in the bush, but if there were and they set a trap for you, then you are likely in deep trouble now

Use of the term in Netrunner is precisely the same!

Anyway, sorry for the topic derail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
pirate_chef wrote:
lluluien wrote:

Huh! For some reason, I thought it came from hockey.

That was my thinking, until I looked it up. I guess it makes sense, since a blow to the face is technically illegal in hockey... unless you're in a fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trekkienz wrote:
That was my thinking, until I looked it up. I guess it makes sense, since a blow to the face is technically illegal in hockey... unless you're in a fight.

I dunno, I think I just associate hockey with getting hit in the face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
asidwolf wrote:

If you are new to the game, this site will help you:
http://netrunnercards.info/rules/

Even if you aren't new to the game, that site will help you. Not only can you link directly to paragraphs in the rules that you don't understand, but you can link to them when you're answering rules questions as well (pet peeve warning!).

As long as you have online access-and most people do these days-you can very quickly find answers to almost any rules question you might have. Getting familiar with the rulebook is definitely preferable to getting familiar with asking questions on the rules forums.
Of course you are welcome to ask, but becoming self-sufficient will help your game experience much more.

Happy reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.