Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About to start a full campaign game of this. I'm relatively new to wargaming -- and not knowledgeable about Market Garden -- but I'd like to at least put a fight as the Allies. Since we won't be playing the historical drop zones, I wonder: Are there any generally agreed upon superior drop zones? I'm too unfamiliar with the conflict to figure it out from the map alone.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical reflection on 1st Abn was that, besides the obvious of landing on top of a panzer division, they landed too far from Arnhem and the bridge. Finding a dropzone closer to the objective. Possibly even near the designated Polish DZ and then rushing to grab multiple crossings and hold with whole Div in good defensive terrain. Also acts to block reinforcement of Nijemegan. 82nd DZ is okay, but they need to abandon the Dz's near Groesbeck and move everything to Nijemegan ASAP. 101st is okay too unless you want to drop in open area immediately east of Eindhoven. It's a fun game. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
gatorskin wrote:
About to start a full campaign game of this. I'm relatively new to wargaming -- and not knowledgeable about Market Garden -- but I'd like to at least put a fight as the Allies. Since we won't be playing the historical drop zones, I wonder: Are there any generally agreed upon superior drop zones? I'm too unfamiliar with the conflict to figure it out from the map alone.

Thanks!

Look at the map from a defensive stand point. Where could you hold the longest and be of most value to the other formations? The Paras dont need to 'OWN' Arhnem, they just need to provide a bridge head to allow 30XXX to cross.

Blocking reinforcements to the south is worth is weight in gold. I'd think teh entire Eindhoven thing could be handled by 30XXX alone. You could pound Nij, with 2 Divisions!

30XXX is a juggernaut, with the air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Airborne Div's at Nijmegen? I like it Kevin.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Two Airborne Div's at Nijmegen? I like it Kevin.....
It did not work for me. It MIGHT have worked for me if I had blocked the German reinforcements from the south but some "clever German misdirection" (I was told the wrong reinforcement letter when I asked) created a huge mess for me. The German player was sincerely apologetic, but it was far far too late to do anything about it.

I would also have needed some actual bombardment success (I think I was one success in 25 tries by the time it was too late which is not very good for 1:3 odds) to help get to that darn bridge.

Dreadful dreadful day for the Allies in our game. The only thing that did go well is that the German player could not blow bridges! Catastrophic failure to be effective at bombardment or combat meant that all three Allied advances were held off. Ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, when you suggest dropping the 1st ABN "near the designated Polish DZ," where exactly are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the campaign game under historical dropzones the initial DZ for the Polish is just the other side of the river from Arnhem. I don't have my game up anymore so I'm not sure of the exact hex number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.