Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rauh
United States
Arlington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question on a minor country "deactivating."

A minor country is either active or inactive. It activates when war is declared on it, when it is invaded (which must lead to a declaration of war), or when it becomes allied.

I know a minor country deactivates when it no longer is an ally (e.g. upon play of an alliance breaker card). Its units are removed from the map, etc.

I also know a minor deactivates when it is conquered.

I assume a minor deactivates if war was declared on it, but it survived the turn into the interphase if the invading party declares peace and ends the war. I also assume this must occur during the "Politics" phase of the interphase when wars are declared or ended. If I assume incorrectly, please let me know.

But when does a minor country deactivate when it is attacked by nomads (Cimmerians and Scythians). Let's just say it survives the nomad attacks and somehow the nomads are eliminated or left the country by the end of the turn. Would that minor country deactivate, and if so, when?

And that is Question: Outside of losing alliance status or conquest, when does a minor deactivate?

This has a bearing on the game. In the interphase, an "inactive" minor gets to remove all its pillage and city damage markers. If it deactivates before or at the beginning of the interphase, then it repairs all this damage. But if it deactivates later in the interphase, like during the "Politics" phase, it can't repair the damage and it may lose "Eco" points if it has seven or more pillage markers.

I have been playing it this way (but welcome any corrections, hence this post). When nomads attack a minor, a "war" exists and lasts the whole turn whether the minor survives or not. During the politics phase of the interphase, that minor would then deactivate (assuming it is not allied or conquered) since that "war" ends. Of course, like with Urartu, if they survive the Cimmerian invasion of turn two, the instantly go to war with the Scythians on turn three. And because the nomad "war" technically ended during the "Politics" phase, no damage markers are removed.

An alternate method I tried, but it doesn't seem right. As soon as a nomad leaves a minor countries borders, it deactivates. If the nomad re-enters that country, it is activated again, gets a mercenary and a card. But when I played it this way, I had Phrygia, for example, activating and deactivating several times during the turn. That didn't cut it.

Another way I though of, but which does not seen right, either. Once a country activates because of nomads, it remains active all the time, simply being controlled by whatever power is controlling until it is conquered. This felt strange.

I believe I have the rest down pat, but not this one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.