Figo 3434
msg tools
1. If, due to an encounter card effect, heroes can't gain resources from card effects, does this also mean you cannot transfer resources via card effects?

2. Is an attack declared via Hands upon the bow considered a ranged attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomek Szymanski
msg tools
mb
Not sure about Bifur, but I'm positive that Errand Rider's ability is disallowed in this situation

Hands Upon The Bow is not ranged attack - there was a clarification by Caleb on this matter. Bard is certainly not too happy about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Skull
msg tools
Is there a link to that clarification? I'd like to see the official word.

I'm less happy than Bard could be; I've run it as a ranged attack throughout the entire set of dwarf packs and I may as well dump Bard to coaster status and switch over to Outlands or whatever power combo is running hot this month if that is the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomek Szymanski
msg tools
mb
I'll try to find an appropiate link for you.
Meanwhile, compare the wording on Hands Upon The Bow with that on Great Yew Bow - basically same effect, but the Bow explicitly says about ranged attack, while the HUtB not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RollingSkull wrote:
Is there a link to that clarification? I'd like to see the official word.

I'm less happy than Bard could be; I've run it as a ranged attack throughout the entire set of dwarf packs and I may as well dump Bard to coaster status and switch over to Outlands or whatever power combo is running hot this month if that is the case.

from http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/798...

Quote:
Got an official ruling on HUTB and attack type:
Rule Question:
Is the attack provided by "Hands upon the bow" considered a "normal attack" or a "ranged attack" ?
In other words: does HUTB played on Legolas with a Rivendell Bow attached result in a +2 ranged attack against an enemy in the staging area ?

"As the card is currently worded, Hands Upon the Bow grants a normal attack and not a ranged attack.
Cheers, Caleb"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Skull
msg tools
Sounds like that may get an errata. Hopefully.

Maybe thematically it's supposed to be beating the guy over the head with the bow.

Thanks for the research

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one case where even though the card as written is pretty clear (it doesn't specify a "ranged" attack in the card effect, so it's a normal attack, as Caleb points out), I think it should have been otherwise. So I'll be adding this to my... well, not so much house "rules" as house "errata". In my games, I'm going to consider Hands Upon the Bow as if its effect text said "This attack is considered a ranged attack" at the end of its current text. That means it triggers Bard's effect, Rivendell Bow... and if any future enemy comes out with "immune to ranged damage" or "gets +2 defense against ranged attacks" or similar text, it will also trigger that negative condition as well. (I'm not trying to unbalance my game, I'm just trying to fix a card that in my opinion should have had a slightly different effect -- so I'll take the negative, if any, with the positive). If it does get an official errata erratum in the future, great -- in the meantime, I'm going to play it as if that hypothetical erratum had already happened.

RollingSkull wrote:
Maybe thematically it's supposed to be beating the guy over the head with the bow.

Or like that scene (which I can't find a Youtube link of, sadly) where the orc is too close to shoot, so Legolas stabs him with an arrow, then pulls it out and uses it to shoot the next orc. Though that one is more "Hands Upon the Arrow" than upon the bow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
This is one case where even though the card as written is pretty clear (it doesn't specify a "ranged" attack in the card effect, so it's a normal attack, as Caleb points out), I think it should have been otherwise. So I'll be adding this to my... well, not so much house "rules" as house "errata". In my games, I'm going to consider Hands Upon the Bow as if its effect text said "This attack is considered a ranged attack" at the end of its current text. That means it triggers Bard's effect, Rivendell Bow... and if any future enemy comes out with "immune to ranged damage" or "gets +2 defense against ranged attacks" or similar text, it will also trigger that negative condition as well. (I'm not trying to unbalance my game, I'm just trying to fix a card that in my opinion should have had a slightly different effect -- so I'll take the negative, if any, with the positive). If it does get an official errata erratum in the future, great -- in the meantime, I'm going to play it as if that hypothetical erratum had already happened.

i'm in the same boat; I recently played through the entire Dwarrowdelf cycle with Bard the Bowman occasionally using Hands Upon the Bow in my second deck thinking the the resulting attack from Hands Upon the Bow was ranged, and I'm not in a hurry to replay those quests and/or discount those results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
rmunn wrote:

i'm in the same boat; I recently played through the entire Dwarrowdelf cycle with Bard the Bowman occasionally using Hands Upon the Bow in my second deck thinking the the resulting attack from Hands Upon the Bow was ranged, and I'm not in a hurry to replay those quests and/or discount those results.

If you use the Great Yew Bow this would count as Ranged FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurries wrote:
supermaxv wrote:
rmunn wrote:

If you use the Great Yew Bow this would count as Ranged FYI.

Thanks, yes, that's not what I was referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:
1. If, due to an encounter card effect, heroes can't gain resources from card effects, does this also mean you cannot transfer resources via card effects?

tomtomiszcze wrote:
Not sure about Bifur, but I'm positive that Errand Rider's ability is disallowed in this situation

This feels very counterintuitive to me, but there's been a ruling by Caleb Grace (as reported by the COTR Podcast guys) that says that Errand Rider does NOT count as "adding" resources to the resource pool of a hero you control, and therefore can NOT trigger Harbor Master's effect. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13523432#13523432 for the details.

And for consistency's sake, if Errand Rider doesn't count as adding resources for the purpose of Harbor Master's effect, it shouldn't count for the purpose of encounter card effects that say "heroes cannot gain resources", either. So even though it feels counterintuitive to me, in light of that ruling by Caleb Grace regarding the Errand Rider / Harbor Master interaction, I would rule that Errand Rider would be allowed while under the effect of an encounter card that prevents heroes gaining resources. Because if it's not a gain in one situation, then it shouldn't be a gain in the other situation either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.