Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, we have just discovered that due to manufacturing and shipping delays, we will not receive our version of the Deluxe Hanabi in time for Essen.

On the plus side, this gives us a little time to rethink it and we are considering dispensing with the wooden box in order to reduce the final price. I'm including a poll here to get feedback as to what type of box people would be most interested in. Here's your chance to let us know your preferences.

Poll: Deluxe Hanabi box type
let us know your preferences for the packaging for the English edition of Hanabi Deluxe
What type of packaging would you prefer?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Regular game box (reduced price point, faster production)
37.2% 86
Wooden game box (high price point, longer production time)
26.0% 60
Velvet bag (reduced price point, portable, makes drawing new tiles easy)
43.7% 101
No packaging, just tiles (lowest price point)
7.4% 17
Not interested in Deluxe Hanabi set
10.0% 23
Voters 231
While we're on the subject, what would you pay for this version?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
$30
46.3% 99
$40
29.0% 62
$50
30.8% 66
$60
12.6% 27
$70
8.9% 19
Voters 214
This poll is now closed.   233 answers
Poll created by rnrgames
Closes: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any place to subscribe for more information about Hanabi Deluxe to make sure we don't miss the pre-order opportunity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the bag but I don't think tile drawing is an advantage.

It would be very difficult to avoid seeing your tile when drawing it out of a bag.

EDIT: I voted for the bag anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

It would be very difficult to avoid seeing your tile when drawing it out of a bag.

I agree with this.

However, I still like the idea of a bag, because bags are cool and can easily fit into odd spaces in the game bin or luggage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:
On the plus side, this gives us a little time to rethink it and we are considering dispensing with the wooden box in order to reduce the final price. I'm including a poll here to get feedback as to what type of box people would be most interested in. Here's your chance to let us know your preferences.

It would have to be a heavy, heavy cardboard box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

Have the person to your left (or right) draw the tile out of the bag for you. They are going to see your tile anyway, so they can be sure to place it in front of you in such a way that you can't ever see what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Have the person to your left (or right) draw the tile out of the bag for you. They are going to see your tile anyway, so they can be sure to place it in front of you in such a way that you can't ever see what it is.

My group does this already with the cards to help prevent people accidentally looking at their card when they draw it.

Another alternative is to lay out all the tiles face down and draw them from here. Takes a little more table space but not a big deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Is there any place to subscribe for more information about Hanabi Deluxe to make sure we don't miss the pre-order opportunity?

We'll post something up here and on our Facebook page when we have the details hammered out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you've got a bit of time to rethink things please consider adding an asymmetrical symbol on the back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're still making some requests, I'd like to see a thicker tile as my main concern about the tiles is that they'll fall over:

vs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

The bag is quite a bad idea, particularly tile drawing from the bag, which I doubt has been thought through properly.

Start of game; Rummage through the bag to find and remove all the multicolour tiles (we don't usually play with them).

End of every hand; Sweep all the tiles up and dump them all back in the bag.

I expect that the bag storage and all of the above, will be quite rough on the tiles.

Remember also that you will need to close your eyes when your neighbour draws and lays out your initial hand, and again for every subsequent tile pick thereafter.

Mah Jong players are well used to the practicalities of tile management on the table. Incidentally, we fully intend to deal a Mah Jong style wall when we play Hanabi with tiles. I couldn't think of a Mah Jong (or even domino) set that might be credibly presented in a bag.

A decent box (wooden or sturdy cardboard) is befitting a deluxe set. Please don't compromise the quality of this special edition, just to shave a few percent off the cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

The bag is quite a bad idea, particularly tile drawing from the bag, which I doubt has been thought through properly.

Start of game; Rummage through the bag to find and remove all the multicolour tiles (we don't usually play with them).

End of every hand; Sweep all the tiles up and dump them all back in the bag.

Remember also that you will need to close your eyes when your neighbour draws and lays out your initial hand, and again for every subsequent tile pick thereafter.

+1

Highland Cow wrote:
I couldn't think of a Mah Jong (or even domino) set that might be credibly presented in a bag.

+1

Highland Cow wrote:
A decent box (wooden or sturdy cardboard) is befitting a deluxe set. Please don't compromise the quality of this special edition, just to shave a few percent off the cost.

Even cardboard doesn't befit a truly deluxe set like this. Heck, even reasonably priced mid-level MahJong sets come in nicely finished cases or lacquer boxes.

Nothing less than a nice wooden box would excite me personally.

There's already a $10 card game edition to cover those on a budget.

With a 60 Eur MSRP we're talking a luxury game item and shaving 5 or even 15 off is not likely to significantly change the number of people serious about purchasing it.

If you're going to offer a "deluxe" edition cutting corners on the presentation and storage is entirely counterproductive.

A good box will endure generations. I've got a domino set from my grandparents with nothing more than a bit of corner wear on the box. I doubt any bag you package these in is going to have anywhere near that kind of longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think changing the tiles is an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

I've no doubt you could be right Lee.

Even so, with manufacturing delays and no specific mention of the tiles being in full production I can't see any harm in folks putting their ideas out there, however small the chance may be of them being actionable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
2 minutes on google, and up popped this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decorate-Plain-Unfinished-Wooden-Tre...

I would definitely embark upon sourcing my own wooden box (not necessarily this one), if this deluxe edition is sold to me in a bag.

Edit:
As others have already pointed out, we already have an economy version of the game. I would fully expect a "deluxe" edition to be absolutely complete, and would willingly pay for the quality materials it deserves.

Given the existence of ready made, unfinished items as above, I am wondering whether the publishers really need to design and manufacture a new box completely from scratch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

We will listen to all feedback and all options are on the table. We want the end user to be happy with this item since it is a costly purchase so we certainly will consider all suggestions. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Since you've got a bit of time to rethink things please consider adding an asymmetrical symbol on the back!

Certainly, I see your point. Any suggestions for such a symbol if we are able to accomplish that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
rnrgames wrote:
lfisher wrote:

We will listen to all feedback and all options are on the table. We want the end user to be happy with this item since it is a costly purchase so we certainly will consider all suggestions. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.

That is very good to hear. It is important that this Deluxe set is well accomplished, even if these design refinements cause delay to the release.

I had assumed that the tiles were "set in stone" so to speak. Which brings me to This Thread, where there was a lot of debate about tile handling, feeling, visibility etc. Would it be possible for the publishers to UPLOAD A VIDEO showing a tile game actually in progress? This would demonstrate how you expect the game to be played, and would hopefully allay all such postulated concerns.

The fact that you are now suggesting that we can draw tiles out of a bag (thus creating a brand new set of potential issues), has got me worried about the level of practical testing that you have actually invested in these tiles.

Thank you for listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Certainly, I see your point. Any suggestions for such a symbol if we are able to accomplish that?

Well there are two different approaches which would provide the same functionality.

1) A small symmetrical symbol that is off center in it's placement. (near the top or corner for example)

2) An asymmetrical symbol which could then be either centered or off center.

The symbol itself could quite literally be anything but could certainly just be done in keeping with the fireworks theme.

For the symmetrical you could go with the graphical AbacusSpiele Hanabi Logo or any other symmetrical fireworks burst:

For the asymmetrical you could use the actual Hanabi text logo (at the top of one short side, centered on the long side, or diagonally) or any other asymmetrical burst:

You could even combine both ideas with the Hanabi text logo at the top of one short side and then have a fireworks design beneath it.

All that matters for functionality in play is to be able to visually identify whether the tile is face up, on it's right or left side, or upside down. The rest is just a matter of esthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting asymmetric symbol on the back would be like the silhouette of the building shown on the cover of the box.

Thematically, playing the game might look like fireworks over the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for chunky Mah Jong tiles. I can easily make tiles that look like the ones you have here...but not if they are chunky Bakelite tiles. That makes it a worthwhile investment.

I opted for a bag to save on costs, but I would go for a game box with a bag inside if this were truly deluxe. A wooden box would be cost prohibitive (think of shipping alone). shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

It is clear from the foregoing posts, that many people (including myself) have high hopes for the Hanabi Deluxe Edition. Designing the set obviously presents quite a challenge, because it is more than just a regular component pimping exercise.

Most game upgrades or special editions simply involve the replacement of basic components with better components or different artwork. However, the re-working of Hanabi into a tile game, won’t be a straight component substitution, it will create a radically different gaming experience. Some have even said that it will be like playing a different game. Factors such as tile stability, tile visibility, (accidental) touch reading of engraved tiles etc, are just some of the influences that will be unique to the tile game.

Some have also said that the tile version will inevitably be inferior to the original, and not worth the additional cost. I sincerely hope that both will provide different, yet highly rewarding playing experiences, (the tiles more luxuriously so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents which will conflict with others.

The bag is a particularly good idea. My hive game is in a bag and my tiles have not suffered inordinate wear. There will be more wear from shuffling on the table which brings me to my next point.

The bag is for storage only. In almost all tile games like this I shuffle the tiles by mixing them on the table and then stacking them facedown into draw piles. No need for symbols on the back or worry about accidentally feeling the face of the tile when you draw.

I voted bag, but would also go with a wooden box.

The one area where I fully agree with others is thicker tiles if possible to prevent accidentally knocking them over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A velvet draw bag, simular to Hive Mini would be a fantastic idea. It's very light, portable and durable; I carry the game with me everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents, if at all possible, make each tile engraved with the 5 pips. Just paint each of the different numbers accordingly. At least it means that people who may be accidentally cheating will not be able to guess the number by feel.

And yes, change of heart. Make it a decent little cardboard box.

Unfortunately I am most likely too price conscious to be the right audience for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.