Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Industry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gansey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do a little research but can't seem to get many specific results. How many board games do you think the average family owns, and what percent of the overall board game market do you think classic games like Monopoly or Clue still make up?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2

And I would bet that most of the games are made up by monopoly and the like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gansey wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do a little research but can't seem to get many specific results. How many board games do you think the average family owns, and what percent of the overall board game market do you think classic games like Monopoly or Clue still make up?

Thanks!


I'd be surprised if hobby games have more than 5% of the market.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
6. 98% or more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
6. 98% or more.


Yep. Families really don't own board games anymore. I think the Wii is the closest thing to a family board game these days.

Most kids know what Life, Monopoly, and Clue are because they are iPad apps. The few board games that sell are the ones on the Walmart shelves and are given as gifts.

I'd love to know how many games on the top 100 here have ever been heard of by the average person.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
calandale wrote:
6. 98% or more.


Yep. Families really don't own board games anymore. I think the Wii is the closest thing to a family board game these days.

Most kids know what Life, Monopoly, and Clue are because they are iPad apps. The few board games that sell are the ones on the Walmart shelves and are given as gifts.

I'd love to know how many games on the top 100 here have ever been heard of by the average person.


I had never heard of any of the games in the top 100 until about a year ago.

I think the average family has Monopoly, Checkers, Scrabble, UNO, Sorry, Candy Land, Battleship, Life, Chess, and Apples to Apples. I don't think electronic devices have completely eliminated board games for families with young children.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I don't think electronic devices have completely eliminated board games for families with young children.


I think this is true. I know we try to keep my 20 month old from too much screen time - though that kid can already navigate an iPad or phone to his favorite apps.

But he has shown a budding interest in board games (because daddy likes them). And has played (or, at least played with the pieces of) Wicket The Ewok. I think board and card games will be a staple for families with younger kids.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are talking about the average American family?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Our Lady of Perpetual Yelling
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess, as a newbie who is rediscovering games, is that the average American household has 3-6 of the types of games you'd find at Target. I have two stores in my smallish city, and they both have a fairly decent collection of traditional/classic games.

I had no idea there were so many different and fun games until I stumbled across Forbidden Island on Amazon, and the BGG a year later. We play a lot of games that I think BGG calls fillers, but they are a lot of fun to us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.