Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Miniature Market has Krosmaster Arena and expansions 1-3 on clearance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Link:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kros...

Base game at $45
Expansions 1-3 at $15 each.

best I've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really interesting. I wonder why that is the case. I also remembered they were the only one that had the Amelia promo.

Very tempted to pick up another copy. I could field two of the common ones. There needs to be a way to trade for the the common units ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it's just what I was waiting for. I promised myself I wouldn't pick it up until I saw a sale like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mode
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn it, & here I am trying to pay bills off. Looks like I'll miss out on this deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All ordered! Thanks for sharing!

Also threw in Quebec and Tikal II, both of which were also $20. Not bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, ordered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Link:

Base game at $45

best I've seen so far.

Great looking price, but not sure if I'm sold on the game. Hopefully the stock will hold out while I read up on it some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a better deal than the kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It was $150 to get the game + Expansions 1-3 via KS. However, that also came with the alternative trees (~$30-40) & the 2 Promos (~$30 each).

So, taking away the promos the KS was still a better deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Thanks for this, ordered.

Yes, thanks for the heads up. Bought all of them. Don't know if I should really be thanking you though. I've got to justify this to my wife now.

LunarSoundDesign wrote:

It's pretty close. To get the game and first three expansions on Kickstarter was $150. You also got three or four promo figures and some upgraded trees. I'm pretty happy getting the game and three expansions for $90!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Link:

Base game at $45

best I've seen so far.

So what you're saying is that the original price was already a rip-off and the clearance price is what many would consider a higher-priced normal board game price. Ah, well then. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$100 gets you pretty much the $150 Kickstarter Commander pledge level (minus Yugo, a poster, and alternative trees.)

Sold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
I wonder why that is the case.

170 in stock of the base game and 100+ of each expansion points to them over-estimating demand and want to free up capital tied up in costly slow moving inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, didn't bother checking the qualities. That would explain it.
NuMystic wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:
I wonder why that is the case.

170 in stock of the base game and 100+ of each expansion points to them over-estimating demand and want to free up capital tied up in costly slow moving inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaahhh it's torture having to pass on this! TORTURE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoGenesisX wrote:
Very tempted to pick up another copy. I could field two of the common ones. There needs to be a way to trade for the the common units ^_^

The expansion packs of three characters each include duplicates of the commons from the base game, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to hear some critical feedback on the game putting aside the component quality entirely.

From a strictly gameplay perspective do folks really feel this offers $90 worth of game?

Obviously the miniatures are top notch but if this game was 1/2 the price and being played 2D (like say Small World) I'm wondering just how much it would hold up on the strength of the mechanics and gameplay alone.

If this had no miniatures whatsoever do you think it would be a game that you were eager to take off the shelf for years to come?

Despite the adorable esthetic the game seems a bit too complex to serve as a true gateway game, and I've already got a ton of tactical skirmish games including Heroscape, X-Wing, Dungeon Command, Nexus Ops, Battles of Westeros and more so I have to wonder if Krosmaster would genuinely fill a unique gameplay niche in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this and picked it up and came here to post about it. I'm curious as to why the Geekrating on it is so low, when the average rating is 8.4 with not a massive standard deviation. Oh well, I'll judge for myself whether it's good or not, but I suspect it to be right up my alley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
quietcorn wrote:
Link:

Base game at $45

best I've seen so far.

So what you're saying is that the original price was already a rip-off and the clearance price is what many would consider a higher-priced normal board game price. Ah, well then. shake

The KS was indeed a rip-off. To me, the clearance prices are about what the game should have been priced at to begin with. Even so, $90 at MM goes a long way (for example: Spartacus, the expansion, and Firefly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Would love to hear some critical feedback on the game putting aside the component quality entirely.

From a strictly gameplay perspective do folks really feel this offers $90 worth of game?

Obviously the miniatures are top notch but if this game was 1/2 the price and being played 2D (like say Small World) I'm wondering just how much it would hold up on the strength of the mechanics and gameplay alone.

If this had no miniatures whatsoever do you think it would be a game that you were eager to take off the shelf for years to come?

Despite the adorable esthetic the game seems a bit too complex to serve as a true gateway game, and I've already got a ton of tactical skirmish games including Heroscape, X-Wing, Dungeon Command, Nexus Ops, Battles of Westeros and more so I have to wonder if Krosmaster would genuinely fill a unique gameplay niche in my collection.

I primarily play with my girlfriend, so we can't get into say The Game of Thrones caliber heavy games, she will play Mage Knight with me, but gets frustrated with all the rules. I think this is right up our alley. We don't have any other tactical skirmish games, and looking at the cost of the games you have it seems to be on par with those, much cheaper than X Wing or Heroscape. So for someone who already has tactical skirmishes, this probably isn't worth it. But for me, a person without a tactical skirmish yet, I think it's a steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
NeoGenesisX wrote:

The expansion packs of three characters each include duplicates of the commons from the base game, I believe.

Nope. The expansion descriptions specifically state "4 New Characters".

Base game: Anna Tommy, Bad Aboum, Bill Tell, Kassius Kaos, King of the Gobballs, Lil Healey, Oscar Kass and Queen of the Tofus

Expansion 1: Drop Knight, Maskun John, Jems Blond, Flame Knight
Expansion 2: Percimol, Makum Bah, Naz Rael, Coa Gulary
Expansion 3: Ally McZeal, Remington Smisse, Srammy, Fern Sock'em

AtStapley wrote:
I'm curious as to why the Geekrating on it is so low, when the average rating is 8.4 with not a massive standard deviation.

Anything over 8 is a incredibly high rating here! As for the difference between Geek and Average rating, the Geek Rating takes into account additional factors in it's algo besides average user ratings. Takes many many more copies owned and rated for a game to climb higher in the rankings than Krosmaster has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
NuMystic wrote:

I've found it quite enjoyable.

Of the games you've listed, I've tried all but the last two. It's on par with Heroscape, but with fewer options (as of now). Better than Dungeon Command, but I also wasn't a huge fan of that. X-Wing is amazing, and I'd say they're on similar complexity levels.

As far as complexity goes, I haven't had issues teaching anyone. The intro scenarios are great, and you can pick and choose them based on the level of the person to whom you're teaching the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

AtStapley wrote:
I'm curious as to why the Geekrating on it is so low, when the average rating is 8.4 with not a massive standard deviation.

Anything over 8 is a incredibly high rating here! As for the difference between Geek and Average rating, the Geek Rating takes into account additional factors in it's algo besides average user ratings. Takes many many more copies owned and rated for a game to climb higher in the rankings than Krosmaster has.

That's what I figured. I was startled from the geek rating after watching the game reviews around that said it was a pretty good game. The Geek rating puts it on par with one of the Munchkin expansion -.- I figured it was from lack of rating (only a couple hundred vs. the thousands that Catan has) that caused it to be so low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

It's not as complex as one may think. I've taught it to a few non-gamer friends and they were hooked onto it by the end of the first round. Give them only 2 figures each from the base game and have them go at it. I will have to admit, what got them into it was the miniatures. I don't think I would touch it if it wasn't for the minis, they really bring the game to life. With that said, I think the amount of "bling" for this game is worth it.

If you need to appeal to younger audience/non-gamers, the chibi style might be it to pull them in (I have problems getting X-Wings on the table).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

If you like tactical gameplay that is heavily spatial-tactical, you are likely to enjoy this. I have compared it to Final Fantasy Tactics, though obviously without the leveling element. The various characters play out differently enough to provide interesting tactical diversity. The victory conditions are unique and a refreshing change on "kill everyone." The demonic rewards add further variety and provide a nice tension in terms of how much time to spend collecting kama vs fighting, as well as how to spend them.

I recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.