Subject: Innsmouth - Return to the Sea clarification needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K C
United States
California
flag msg tools
The card "Return to the Sea" of the Innsmouth faction says:
"Special: After a base scores, put any number of your minions with the same name on that base into your hand instead of the discard pile."

How exactly does this card work? Can it be used if there is only one minion on the base? What about two minions with different names?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Arbogast
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It lets you choose a minion, such as The Locals, and then return all minions named that to your hand when the base scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets try an example:
On the base you have 3 'The locals' and 1 'Chronomage'.

You have 2 options to pick from:
1) Pick 'The Locals'. In this case you take all 3 locals from the base and put them in your hand, the chronomages go to your discard as the base scores.
2) Pick 'Chronomage'. In this case you take the Chronomage from the base and put it in your hand, the locals go to your discard as the base scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are correct. "Any number" can be 1.

Technically it can be 0, but why play the card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something about Smash Up: people either find the rules straightforward and intuitive or complicated and open to interpretation, as multiple threads in the Rules forum show.

BoogilyWoogily wrote:
Can it be used if there is only one minion on the base?

"Any number" includes one, so yes.

BoogilyWoogily wrote:
What about two minions with different names?

"Different names" is not "the same name," so no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
They are correct. "Any number" can be 1.

Technically it can be 0, but why play the card...

Because you're Ghosts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C
United States
California
flag msg tools
itchywookie wrote:

BoogilyWoogily wrote:
Can it be used if there is only one minion on the base?

"Any number" includes one, so yes.

Some of the players agreed with what you are saying, other players said something else and gave the following example:

"Let's say I have 3 Locals, 2 Ninja Acolytes, and a Tiger Assassin on a base and it scores. I can play this card after the base scores. Since 3 Locals share a name and 2 Ninja Acolytes share a name, I can put any number of them into my hand. I cannot put the Tiger Assassin into my hand."

Just trying to get clarification, thanks for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that. It's a stretch, but I can see it. The counterargument is that if he puts the Locals and Acolytes into his hand, they don't all have the same name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoogilyWoogily wrote:
Some of the players agreed with what you are saying, other players said something else and gave the following example:

"Let's say I have 3 Locals, 2 Ninja Acolytes, and a Tiger Assassin on a base and it scores. I can play this card after the base scores. Since 3 Locals share a name and 2 Ninja Acolytes share a name, I can put any number of them into my hand. I cannot put the Tiger Assassin into my hand."

Just trying to get clarification, thanks for the responses.

That is completely incorrect. You can choose the Locals or the Ninja Acolytes or the Tiger Assassin, but not a combination of any of them.

The card is simple and straightforward. Tell your friends to stop being obstinate and just do what the card says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C
United States
California
flag msg tools
downeymb wrote:
Tell your friends to stop being obstinate and just do what the card says.

We were just asking for clarification. No need to be snippy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Sutton
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BoogilyWoogily wrote:
downeymb wrote:
Tell your friends to stop being obstinate and just do what the card says.

We were just asking for clarification. No need to be snippy.

I thought the same as downeymb at first, because the card was pretty straightforward to me. But with your follow-up post, the confusion became more clear. In your example, the locals have the same name as each other and the acolytes have the same name as each other, so I can see how they may appear to qualify simultaneously, while the tiger assassin doesn't. The catch is that they don't all share the same name, so only one group qualifies. As for downeymb's response, I wouldn't let it get to you. Based on extensive reading of the forum, her default setting is set to snippy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brocksbricks wrote:
As for downeymb's response, I wouldn't let it get to you. Based on extensive reading of the forum, her default setting is set to snippy.

I prefer straightforward and direct as descriptions, but my communication style can come off as rather blunt in the rules forums, especially when you take into account the internet's inability to convey my facial expressions and hand gestures. I suppose I could use more emoticons?

Also, if you spent time on the RPGGeek side of the house, you would know that I am male and my avatar is my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.