Subject: Student Project About Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nagy
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, all! I'm doing a school project about the board game industry, and I'm supposed to talk with a lot of gamers for interviews, but it's hard finding people at the local game stores willing to chat for a bit. So I figured I woud post here and on a few other forums in the hope you guys can help me out a bit. I appreciate it! (To moderators, this is an unusual post, I'm sure, and I was unsure where to put it in the forums, so please feel free to move it!)

Please answer the following. Feel free to answer smome that are interesting, and ignore the rest, but I'd be grateful if you could answer as many as possible:

1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics?

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games?

3. How often do you play tabletop games?

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family?

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play?

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher?

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games?

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it?

Thanks again, all! I really appreciate your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? I play multiple themes and mechanics

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? I prefer boardgames and RPG's

3. How often do you play tabletop games? About twice a week, and twice a week for RPG's as well/

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? Gamers

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? As often as needed

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? £5

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? Yes

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? Sod all, if I am paying for it I want a decent product, not the kind of thing I could knock up myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? - I look for diverse themes to fill my library but the mechanics have to work for me. I think theme is more interesting and important than the mechanics.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? - I prefer board games. I like the components of them, the tactile nature of having a thing. I also find it easier to get another person to play a board game with you over most other types.

3. How often do you play tabletop games? - I try to host a game night at least a couple of times a month. Sometimes I can get one weekly game in but most often it's every other week I get to play a few games.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? - I mostly play with family and non-gamers. I'm the owner of the hobby I guess and try to collect games that will appeal to them but that I want to play as well.

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? - I always teach others how to play. If I can find someone willing, I will teach them. I rarely hand them a rule book and tell them to have at it.

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? - I would typically spend $20 to $30 on a game. If it gets good enough reviews here and it's engaging, I will spend like $40 but that's my limit. Then I'm looking for a used copy.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? - I have never tried print and play games although I'm considering it because I'm going broke buying games that I don't get to play that often.

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? - If I got a print and play game I guess I would try to keep the budget below $20 on materials and such.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? Theme has to hold my interest, but I enjoy good mechanics.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? In order role-playing game, board games, card games, online games, dice games.

3. How often do you play tabletop games? ~2/week including RPGs

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? gamer friends, wife

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? If it's the first game, I'll teach quite a bit for rules more than anything else. As far as strategy, I'll point something out now and then, but try to keep that manageable. I view the first plays of most games as rules learning more than tactical.

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? Only game I've bought from a new publisher had an established designer. If the publisher and designer were unknown to me, I'd wait for others to comment before buying.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? No

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? I doubt I'd try, but I'm thinking $15 at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mechanics
2. Board
3. 1-2 times a week (not including ipad conversions of boardgames)
4. Family gamer (wife)
5. Often. I am the rules reader, so of our 350+ games! only a handful I've not taught.
6. Whatever it costs if I want it. Don't care about names/cred. If it's good it's good whether it's big company for Bob in his Garage.
7. No too lazy and not enough time.
8. N/A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Canada
Pointe-à-la-Croix
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? Theme is just the 'esthetic' of the game. I play for the mechanics, it's the meat of games.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? Board games and some cards like Dominion.

3. How often do you play tabletop games? Once a week maybe less, i'd love to play more though.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? Family and some gamers.

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? Whenever we have a family gathering, so holidays, vacations etc...

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? Depends, if the game looks good I would spend the same as on a known publisher.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? No, unless you count maps I printed for Ticket to Ride.

I would say no more then $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mechanics, but a theme I'm not interested in can turn me off of a game.

2. If I have to choose one it's card, just for the portability.

3. At least once a week, I try to play as much as possible. I play digital versions every day.

4. I mostly play by myself, when I do play with others they are gamers.

5. I always want to try new games so I often have to teach a game to the group. Let's say twice a month.

6. I try to do research before buying so that the publisher would no longer be unknown. I've impulse bought up to $60.

7. Yes, checkout goodlittlegames.com

8. depends on the quantity and quality of components. If I'm printing it myself I'm not going out of my way to spend anything extra. To me the whole point of P'n'P is that you don't open your wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Definitely mechanics.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games?
- They're all nice at their time. But I prefer Board/card (where do you set the line?) games over dice games.

- As I don't have a regular group at the moment it is about once or twice a month

- mostly gamers or not-that-hardcore-gamers

- Almost every time we try a new game as we usually play my games or I'm the one knowing a game best.

- It totally depends on the game. I don't care for the publisher if the game is good. If the game isn't, I don't care either because I won't buy then. I generally don't buy games I don't know.

- I played prototypes but never printed a game myself.

- Almost nothing. After all I have to invest time/money to make the game, so the files shouldn't be that expensive. As a game designer with a normal publisher earns about 1 € per sold game, that would be the range I pay.

Good luck with your project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I play for subject matter and how it informs my understanding of processes.
I care nothing for window-dressing themes, and actively dislike
mechanisms which do not reflect the reality the game purports to
present.

Board I guess. Though I enjoy card and RPG a great deal too.

Every day. Unless I'm playing floor games (unlikely with more tables nowadays).

Mostly I just play with myself.

Once a week on average, via youturd.

I'm very hesitant to buy something from someone I don't know.
I'll usually wait until I hear enough about it - at that point,
it depends on the impression.

Sure.

The cost of paper and ink.
I'm not about to spend more on something I'd do a lousy job of producing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? -- Generally if one of these is really great (as long as theme was one I enjoyed) then I'd enjoy the game. When I'm looking at new games to buy I might look at theme and mechanics ... but usually when picking a game to play I'm basing my choice from my collection on which theme I feel like playing first and then mechanics for games with similar theme.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? A combination of a lot of those ... but I guess I'll go with board games

3. How often do you play tabletop games? At least once a week ... normally 2-3 days a week ... sometimes 4-7 days a week.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? Mostly with family and with friends who are interested in board games

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? Well it's the same group of friends but once a week we teach a couple of friends 2-4 different board games ... I suppose eventually we'll run out of games that we own to teach them, so will no longer have to teach them how to play them

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? I'd research it just like a game from a publisher I know and look at what the game is, what the components look like, quality of all the parts of the game, and I also look at what games I have similar to the game (is any) ... then based on all of that I decide what I'll pay for a game and if it's that price or under and we can afford it then we buy it. I have a difficult time paying more then $60 for a game no matter the publisher ... for more then that I have to feel pretty confident that I'm going to love the game.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? No

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? I guess I have no clue how much they cost or should cost ... but for something that I'm printing and putting together myself ... probably around $5 ... maybe $10 if it looked really interesting ... I hope those prices aren't too insulting or anything to people who make them, but I really haven't looked into them ... the most that I have are games on kickstarter that I've backed that have also come with the print & play, but I've always just waited for the actual game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb

Mechanics - I feel like this is a decision of substance over style. This said theme is still important to me - pure abstracts generally don't appeal to me.

I play all - board games are my preference as I like to play with others face to face.

Once a week (Wish it was more).

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family

Non-gamer/casual gamer friends.

Most of the time. I enjoy the process of teaching others to play.

I'd read the rules and reviews prior to buying. I generally wait at least a year prior to buying a game to avoid the hype.

Yes (Free ones). While these can be very enjoyable - it can be quite a lot of work to make them.

I probably wouldn't be willing to pay for a P&P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Myers
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Theme seems to be my thing
2 board games
3 one a week
4 gamers
5 will teach anyone that shows interest but does not happen very often at all
6 80 dollars or less if it interst me and I believe in the game
7 not much interest in it but I keep my eye on them
8 very little as I don't see a lot interest in it for me. 10 bucks or less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I play for both in equal measure. I love a good worker placement game, but I also love a good dungeon crawl. Conversely, it could have the best theme ever, if there's bidding, I'm out.

I play them all without much preference, to be honest. Most of my online gaming is online boardgaming platforms though.

Several times a week, on average.

Mostly solo, occasionally with family or friends (gamers and nongamers).

Once a month or so.

Depends on the game. I care much more about whether the game is structurally sound and whether I'm getting "bang for my buck" than whether I've heard of the publisher before. For example, if it's an $80 game, I don't care if it's being put out by Rio Grande or by Joe New Awesomepants, I want to know what makes that game worth $80. Lots of bits/very high production value? Variable setup/incredible replay value? Free additional scenarios/online support? If at least one of those things isn't present, it's not worth $80 to me, and I'll either skip it or buy used... regardless of whose name is on the box. If it's a $20 game, I'll take more chances... but I still have to think it's a sound game, and like the mechanics, the art, and the theme.

Yes.

I try to keep my materials cost under $5 a copy, otherwise there's not much point. That's for the copies that I mount nicely, box up, buy meeples for, etc. I've got plenty of P&P games I just print out in black and white so I can solo my way through, and I don't plan on "upgrading" those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? mechanics I suppose.... but mostly for the social aspects of gaming

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? Online games take away the social aspects so I don't really enjoy them however I am equally happy playing dice,tabletop, card, board or roleplay games with friends

3. How often do you play tabletop games? Every few months I will play tabletop i.e warhammer 40k, dreadball etc when I fancy it. I am a regular atendee of several local convention. I attend monthly boardgame meetings at my FLGS and pretty much board game ad hoc when there are several of us with time off together which is generally a few times a week. My partner and I usually end up playing a quick 2 player game whilst we are waiting for our evening meal to cook.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? other gamers mostly. Occasionally my daughter will wish to play.

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? do you mean new players i.e non gamers... or new games to gaming friends? new games to gaming friends is whenever I get a new game and I bring it to the table my flgs is really good so i get a lot of new games :). as for teaching new non-gamers I recently attended an event at the millennium stadium whereby I demo'ed several games to anyone who showed interest.

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? standard board game prices (plus my flgs discount) publishers and designers mean nothing to me. I like games based upon mechanics or theme or cutsy artwork

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? No if a game is not good enough to be publish them I am not interested.

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? Nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb

I guess theme is more likely to initially attract me to a game, but mechanics are more likely to keep me playing (if the mechanics are fiddly or no fun then I won't want to play the game even if the theme is amazing).

I enjoy them all, board and dice would be my preference (assuming "online games" means online board games, not just computer games in general).

As often as I can but never as often as I'd like

I'd say non-gamers and casual gamers (people who've played more than Monopoly but aren't necessarily as deep into the hobby).

Quite often, I'm usually the one who has the new game to try.

If I knew about the quality of the game in advance, the status of the publisher wouldn't bother me. Otherwise I'd probably not be comfortable spending more than £20-30.

No.

I don't think I'd pay for Print & Play. Like many people who work full time and have children, time always seems to be scarce and I'd rather drop some money on a finished product to be able to use my free time to play the game than save money but instead use my free time on a PnP project. I understand for some people that's a fun part of the hobby in itself, and I can see that, I just don't think I'd value it enough to want to pay for it. I wouldn't object to playing one if someone else did all the hard work and bought all the materials

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do you play more for theme or mechanics? A mixture, but theme is usually more important for the buying decision.

2. Do you prefer card games, board games, dice games, roleplaying games, or online games? Board games, RPGs and online games

3. How often do you play tabletop games? Every few days to daily.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? Gamer and non-gamer friends

Every 2 weeks.

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? Unknown as in having never bought from them, or as in first game on the market? Probably the same amount I would pay for a similar game of a known publisher.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games?Yes, once.

As little as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I play for the mechanics, but will not repeatedly play games that lack theme and am hesitant in general to try them (Terra Mystica, is VERY low on my play list based partially on aesthetics. I guess I'd admit to being a sucker for plastic pieces.

Quote:

Cardgames and boardgames. Dice-games I don't play unless you include stuff like King of Tokyo. RPGs I am not into.

Quote:

At least 2x a week.

Quote:
Other gamers mostly, my GF on and off depending if she's interested in the game.

Quote:

Depends. I think if we're playing my games I am always explaining. Happens 2-3x a month I guess?

Quote:

I payed 300 dollars once, and I would say they're a proven publisher, but I'll never do that again.

Quote:

Once, but I am interested in aesthetics so won't try PnP often.

Quote:

$0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Mechanics. Theme's not utterly unimportant, but I'm more concerned with the experience of playing than with the pictures on the box.

2. Online games are a wholly different kettle of fish. Of the physical products, board games over card games; I've never really played dice games other than craps.

3. 'Heavy' board games once or twice a week; 'light' games nightly in the college bar.

4. Do you play mostly with other gamers, non-gamer friends, or family? Depends on the game. Heavy games at the club with serious (read BGG-using) gamers, light games with a wider circle of friends.

5. How often do you try to teach others how to play? I light introducing new light games to my casual-gaming friends, so probably weekly.

6. How much do you spend on a new board game from an unknown publisher? Depends. In general, I'll only spend money on a new (read un-reviewed) game if I trust the designer. The boardgames market is sufficiently mature that there are plenty of games still new to me that are a decade or more old.

7. Have you ever tried Print & Play games? Only a few long-OOP things.

8. If you would try a Print & Play game, how much would you spend on it? At a guess, £10; that's the cost of a print-and-play quality new game from Cheapass Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BENagy wrote:

Theme, unquestionably. Ideally though, theme and mechanics are integrated to a point that they're almost indistinguishable from each other. I'm not a fan of pasted on themes.

Quote:

They all fill a different niche for me. If I was pressed to pick one though, freeform LARP. (I believe they're known as "theatre style LARPs in the States).

Quote:

It varies wildly, but averages out about once a month. As some points of comparision, I play RPGs weekly and LARP bi-monthly (although with LARP I'm running a lot more then I play these days).

Quote:

Other gamers. Non-gamer friends playing tend to be the SOs of gamer friends. I play with my family at holidays, but I come from a gaming family anyway; we're a lot more likely to crack out Shanghai Trader at Christmas then we are Trivial Pursuit: Genus Edition

Quote:

If I own the game. Generally, I'm the person who ends up teaching rules.

Quote:

Impulse game store buys, up to £30 or so. That's rare these days though. I generally buy games I've at least heard about on the net.

Quote:

Yes. I have a drawer full of the things.

Quote:

I would need a good reason to pay for a P&P in the first place and even then I'm not likely to go above £5. This may change if 3D printing takes off- that may be a game changer for the hobby in the long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mechanics, but theme is important too!

Board games + card Games

Maybe an average of night a week.

Other gamers and family

I play somewhere which is quite light hearted and good for new people. Most games I play include people who have never played before. – So I’m ALWAYS teaching.

The Publisher really doesn’t make much difference to me, if the game looks good, and I think my friends would like it, I’ll buy it. Regardless of whether it’s their 1st or 1,000th game.

Does Cards against Humanity count? – Never really been that impressed.

Very, very little. Maybe a £ or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.