Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Avast, y'scurvy dogs. Tis a hankerin' fer gold and silver and jewels y'has? Well, y'come to th' right place. Jus' so hap'ns th' Cap'n's lookin' fer some fine mates and deckhands.

Monday, September 23. I took Francis Drake for a second voyage, this time at one of my nearby FLGSs. Mondays are open board gaming nights, so I took the game to show and demo. Immediately upon setting out the components, conversation started. Of the nine players in attendance, three were up to the challenge of trying the game after semi-kinda-sorta believing me when I said the game might look complex but it's really not.

(btw: The kid who looks extremely excited in this photo is one of my boys...who is actually a big fan of the game, but who was getting board waiting to play it.)

After the groups paired off, I ended up with my two sons and two players from the gaming group. I sat out, wanting to demo the game and let them discover the fun of adventure. So, after a quick rundown of the strategies and the two game phases (and after I had to flip a coin to see who of the two wanting green actually got that color), we began the task of walking the streets in search of supplies, crew, and all the materials needed to achieve fame and favor of the Queen.

Round 1 was a learning round. Although the only questions anyone had about getting supplies was what some of the spaces meant - Drake, the Queen, the Governor, etc. With purchases made, it was time to set sail.

I explained the mechanics behind the disks, and the players began their voyages. My son, who had played before, took an early lead, and jinxing himself by getting a bit cocky. The other players were very savvy gamers and, after the one round, were very comfortable with the play mechanics.

Side note: I'm finding this is the case. After one round, most people have caught on to the game and the strategic thinking begins. That's a sign, to me, of just how good this game is - simple to pick up but filled with strategic possibilities)

I purposely didn't tell the group the streets would change, the tiles being randomly positioned, so when my son gathered up the tiles and began placing them the others were --- let's just say surprised. Taking a minute to regain their bearings, round two began. The Pinnace was a popular tile, as was the favor of the Queen and the Governor and Admiral. Their value in final scoring had become apparent, so everyone vied to get at least one of those.

The second voyage saw everyone battling a fort and a town, but no one was in the position to battle a Galleon, so the jewels were left in the possession of the board.

Round three became a study in frustrated strategic one-upsmanship. Everyone knew it was the final round, the last chance to get points and take victory. Large jumps ahead on the streets became the norm, with good-hearted groans coming from the knowledge that few, if any, battles were going to be won. So, the ships sailed, their meager attack capabilities limiting their progress. Dave, one of the three new players, did decide it was best to get coffee, tobacco, etc, during the last two rounds and had collected a full set of commodities as well as three-fourths of a second set. My son forgot to stock up to do anything and had to flounder through the round, getting nothing. At all.

Poor cocky guy!

At the end, Richard had 50 points, Jim and Brandon tied at 78, and Dave became the all-out grand champion with 112 points. Both Dave and Jim wanted to know when the game would be in stores.

Unfortunately, there was no time left to play another game and we had to pack up. But...I'm scheduled to go back next week, because those who didn't get to play want to get a chance to do so.

Big success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the report. This games sounds very tempting. Can you comment on the length of the game? The BBG entry states 120 minutes, but with only 3 rounds, that's 40 minutes per round. Where is all of the time spent? Based on your review (and others) I would expect it would take only around 1 hr. A 2 hr game decreases the chances of getting this to the table in my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
VivaDaddy wrote:
Thank you for the report. This games sounds very tempting. Can you comment on the length of the game? The BBG entry states 120 minutes, but with only 3 rounds, that's 40 minutes per round. Where is all of the time spent? Based on your review (and others) I would expect it would take only around 1 hr. A 2 hr game decreases the chances of getting this to the table in my family.

It is closer to 2 hours than 1 hour. You get to place up to 10 tokens on Plymouth Street, per player, and this happens three times in the game. Then you sail out, placing and resolving mission disks, up to four per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest game I have played is an hour and a half. Most are a little over an hour. Here's why...1) I'm not including time to teach. 2) no one who has played has suffered from AP. 3) Once the flow of the game is understood, it's really fairly quick.

The street phas is the longest. Second longest portion, setting up the voyage. But I have found some ways around that with a couple small house rules I use when not demoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.