Subject: A bunch of newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yonatan Korem
Israel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. When the men take resources or a number token, do they flip it face up in their part of the table? I've read that the picking is done in secret, but after I've picked the token, do i put it next to me face up or down?

2. Is team communication ok during parts of the day (or between them)? For example, the man seeing that he won't be able to complete any contracts today could tell his wife right away (or at all) that he thinks work might not pay off today?
On the flip side, can the woman tell the man what of the cards she really really needs?

3. I'm having trouble differentiating between the wardrobe of a lady and her outfit. Can a lady buy (in her afternoon) items that she couldn't use? i.e. buying two dresses, one item from two designers and a second from the last designer

3.b. Can her gentleman buy her items to fill her wardrobe that she couldn't use? i.e. buying her a second handbag or second servant?

I'm asking this because obviously the lady will have to build an outfit that has only one of every item, but if she could build a wardrobe that gives her options for several outfits, she might be in a better position for the ball. (and in a better position if playing with gossip cards)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loic Lamy
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Not sure if I correctly understand... Men look at token, if he wants it, he put it in his other hand (hidden), if he does not want it he put it back on the table (hiden)

2) You can communicate at any time, but never give precise information and be roleplay ("sorry darling, this is a bad day today" ; "what, you cannot buy nothing !").

3) You can buy anything you want (so, yes, you can buy several dress, if your husband is very rich !), but during the ball you have to discard the cards that does not fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yonatan Korem
Israel
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you! very helpful and quick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackofhearts.yk wrote:
1. When the men take resources or a number token, do they flip it face up in their part of the table? I've read that the picking is done in secret, but after I've picked the token, do i put it next to me face up or down?

2. Is team communication ok during parts of the day (or between them)? For example, the man seeing that he won't be able to complete any contracts today could tell his wife right away (or at all) that he thinks work might not pay off today?
On the flip side, can the woman tell the man what of the cards she really really needs?

3. I'm having trouble differentiating between the wardrobe of a lady and her outfit. Can a lady buy (in her afternoon) items that she couldn't use? i.e. buying two dresses, one item from two designers and a second from the last designer

3.b. Can her gentleman buy her items to fill her wardrobe that she couldn't use? i.e. buying her a second handbag or second servant?

I'm asking this because obviously the lady will have to build an outfit that has only one of every item, but if she could build a wardrobe that gives her options for several outfits, she might be in a better position for the ball. (and in a better position if playing with gossip cards)

Thanks!

1. In my games it is only considered to be claimed if it is turned face up in front of the player. You can try to shuffle good tokens towards you while you look through them, but everyone may freely reach in and grab them.

2. This is one of the benefits of sending the Gentleman "off to work" in another area for their stock market phase. The Ladies have to do their morning work with little knowledge of how well their Gentlemen may do. On returning, we typically give a vague report on how the day seemed to go in character for their consideration during their afternoon card selection phase.

3. Her wardrobe are all the cards she has in front of her. Her outfit is the ultimate collection from her wardrobe that she puts forth to wear to the ball. In the Afternoon, she's really just compiling a list of wants to submit to her Gentleman for purchase. She may need to select opposing items to hedge against cost or perhaps she's upgrading one of her current items to something with more stars. There is no restriction to what she can take to submit to her husband ... only strategy on how best to utilize it!

3.b Her Gentleman can, and quite possibly would since it's really not the Gentlemen's business what goes on in a ladies wardrobe. Or in game terms, the Gentlemen don't know what server bonuses of gossip cards that the Lady is aiming for. Which is why it's important for the Lady to craft what she passes to him instead of just handing a stack of cards over and hoping he chooses right. (Gentlemen rarely do when it comes to fashion!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you claim a resource (or number) by placing it face-up in front of you. Your personal stock of resources is never a secret.

Team communication should always be vague, and always in character. "Good day" or "bad day," but not exact amounts of money. Likewise, a lady may not mention which specific items in her selection are most important to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.