United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the cartoonist is an agnostic atheist. Both the gnostics look smug/arrogant and the agnostic theist looks befuddled -- and I've yet to meet someone who believes in God but would describe the alternative as, "They're just silly stories."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, both of the Atheists have beards, too! What kinda crap is this guy tryin' ta pull??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I've yet to meet someone who believes in God but would describe the alternative as, "They're just silly stories."

This is a common Freemason posture.

The bible is a mixed up and confused pile of stuff that got screwed up along the way.

But there's a kernel of God in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
What about if you don't believe in god(s), nor do you NOT believe in god(s)?

A mollusk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
What if you only think about it when it's brought up in RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
b a n j o wrote:
What about if you don't believe in god(s), nor do you NOT believe in god(s)?

A mollusk.

As in, don't mollusk me for my religious beleifs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

What's narcissistic about that?

Anyway, replace "God" with "Unicorns" and then replace "God" with "Trees" and you'll find that the Agnostics come off sounding like idiots in both cases.

And that's my opinion on agnosticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

I just assumed everyone that posts in RSP is a bit narcissistic. "Hey, everyone, look at me, my opinions matter!"

I guess I just ruined the joke though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

I just assumed everyone that posts in RSP is a bit narcissistic. "Hey, everyone, look at me, my opinions matter!"

Most jokes are not ruined but forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

Anyway, replace "God" with "Unicorns" and then replace "God" with "Trees" and you'll find that the Agnostics come off sounding like idiots in both cases.

Replace "God" with "Love" or "Hope" or "Quarks".

I don't believe, but you are crossing the abstract with the concrete. To be fair it should be immaterial to immaterial comparisons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

I don't believe, but you are crossing the abstract with the concrete. To be fair it should be immaterial to immaterial comparisons.

"immaterial to immaterial" doesn't seem quite right here to me.
"love" and "hope" exist because we blieve (in) them. They come into existence because of us and through us. "hope" exists simply as soon as someone claims to "hope", nobody would then claim that that hope isn't "real". If i say i "love" someone, then that love is real, or it might be a lie, but it sure isn't eithe rin the category of something that might me real or maybe not.

Or maybe this is just arguing about semantics.

and i'm really not sure where in the bible it says that god is immaterial…

crankypants is on to something…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

"love" and "hope" exist because we blieve (in) them. They come into existence because of us and through us. "hope" exists simply as soon as someone claims to "hope", nobody would then claim that that hope isn't "real". If i say i "love" someone, then that love is real, or it might be a lie, but it sure isn't eithe rin the category of something that might me real or maybe not.

You beat me to it and probably said it better than I would. Abstract concepts exist because we define them as such. They lack physical definition but they exist in that we assign the "word" to the idea.

Abstract signifiers like "Love" and "Hope" point to ideas that I have experienced so I can affirm that they exist (even if they're really just by-products of neurotransmitters). And even though others might experience them differently we have some general consensus of their meaning.

I believe in the signifier "God" - I understand it exists as a concept - just like I believe in the idea of "Unicorn". But those ideas are usually understood to exist outside of our personal experience. For me, that final claim of "persistence" is what, for me, requires proof by the claimant.

ramble ramble ramble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasn't this come up before? Wasn't it decided that anyone on the right side is a moron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

You beat me to it and probably said it better than I would. Abstract concepts exist because we define them as such. They lack physical definition but they exist in that we assign the "word" to the idea.

Abstract signifiers like "Love" and "Hope" point to ideas that I have experienced so I can affirm that they exist (even if they're really just by-products of neurotransmitters). And even though others might experience them differently we have some general consensus of their meaning.

I believe in the signifier "God" - I understand it exists as a concept - just like I believe in the idea of "Unicorn". But those ideas are usually understood to exist outside of our personal experience. For me, that final claim of "persistence" is what, for me, requires proof by the claimant.

ramble ramble ramble

Barr barr barr... snrt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

If god were meant to be "just" an abstraction I don't think anyone would be arguing whether or not it exists. Love or Hope aren't anything over and above what people experience them to be. There is no one entity called Love or Hope which we all have a common experience of - it's an abstraction based on people trying to categorize and understand their feelings and experiences.

God, however, is supposed to be something over and above what people claim to experience. God isn't meant to be some sort of catchall term used to encapsulate man's religious experiences - it's supposed to be the singular and unified source of those experiences. At least to those who believe in such things.

At any rate I'd have to say agnosticism is the only way to go. God, as far as I can tell, isn't a sufficiently well defined enough concept (or even a coherent one for that matter) for us to be able to devise any sort of test that could begin to answer the question: does god exist?

May as well ask does oaishgiah exist for all the good it will do you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of a false dichotomy between "I think this is true but honestly I have no idea" and "I am 100% certain."

I'm really pretty certain that no god exists, but on the other hand, since I only apprehend the world through my senses and recognize the limitations of that system, I would have to say that I'm not completely certain of that fact. I think I'm a lot further from "this is what I believe but really who knows" and "I am 100% sure this is correct" I'm way closer to the 100% sure line, but nobody should ever say that they're 100% sure about anything, I mean, know your limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
This is kind of a false dichotomy between "I think this is true but honestly I have no idea" and "I am 100% certain."

I'm really pretty certain that no god exists, but on the other hand, since I only apprehend the world through my senses and recognize the limitations of that system, I would have to say that I'm not completely certain of that fact. I think I'm a lot further from "this is what I believe but really who knows" and "I am 100% sure this is correct" I'm way closer to the 100% sure line, but nobody should ever say that they're 100% sure about anything, I mean, know your limitations.

Which brings us into the realm of Solipsism because "I might just be a frog dreaming I'm a football which is dreaming I'm a person!".

I'm not above saying "Sure, why not!" to such a statement but it offers no practical direction on how to live our lives.

I live as if I'm 100% certain that God doesn't exist, just like I live as if I were 100% certain that Santa Claus isn't watching me when I'm sleeping (weirdo).

And I make no difference between acting with 100% certainty and believing with 100% certainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 30 years of arguing it on the internet, sometime about 4 or 5 years ago I finally slid solidly into the upper right bearded and snooty camp.

Sans the beard.

But I can be very snooty. very.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I'm guessing the cartoonist is an agnostic atheist. Both the gnostics look smug/arrogant and the agnostic theist looks befuddled -- and I've yet to meet someone who believes in God but would describe the alternative as, "They're just silly stories."

The gnostics look smug or arrogant to you? They simply look confident and wise to this gnostic atheist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Valuable bathroom real estate!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
After 30 years of arguing it on the internet, sometime about 4 or 5 years ago I finally slid solidly into the upper right bearded and snooty camp.

Sans the beard.

But I can be very snooty. very.

Same here... except I recently grew a beard. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"mocking".

Some other references list it as "smug" so that might be what the artist was going for.

The left sides look like "curious" above and "embarrassed" on the bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrspank wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The gnostics look smug or arrogant to you? They simply look confident and wise to this gnostic atheist.

Fuckin pastafarians, think they know everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
das Andere wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

A narcissistic mollusk.

Mine don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.