13 Posts

Forbidden Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can anyone clarify how a Diver moves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rule [+] [View All]
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group was confused. One of us thought the diver could only move in a straight line. I felt like the language on the card supported that the diver could move anywhere there is "water", but then how does that prevent someone from swimming from one end of the island to the other through the ocean that surrounds everything??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:
how does that prevent someone from swimming from one end of the island to the other through the ocean that surrounds everything??

The diver's ability doesn't increase her movement range: an empty/water space the size of one tile still counts as a move of one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I thought the diver can only dive through sunken spaces, NOT through the outer ocean??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:
how does that prevent someone from swimming from one end of the island to the other through the ocean that surrounds everything??

The diver's ability doesn't increase her movement range: an empty/water space the size of one tile still counts as a move of one space.

No, no, no!

The diver can swim in any direction, any distance: but ONLY through spaces where there used to be tiles, but which are now flooded, either temporarily or permanently. You can't swim through the ocean around the island!

Or, as the rules say on page 4:

"The diver may move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for 1 action."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/524604/diver-questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer's response on another thread:

mleacock wrote:
Hey Folks

I agree this could have been clearer in the rules.

Here's the short version that I posted earlier in the thread:
"Yes, the diver can swim through multiple missing (and/or) flooded tiles for 1 action."

And the long version:
The Diver can step off a tile, move thorough any number of missing tiles and flooded tiles (in any combination, in any order) then land back on to an unflipped tile (dry or flooded) for one action. He's really quite versatile, you know. This helps him hold his own when compared against the Pilot.

There aren't any arcane restrictions other than the fact that he can't move where there were never any tiles at the beginning of the game. You can rationalize this by saying the water is too deep there if you like.

Hope this helps!

- Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
Designer's response on another thread:

mleacock wrote:
Hey Folks

I agree this could have been clearer in the rules.

Here's the short version that I posted earlier in the thread:
"Yes, the diver can swim through multiple missing (and/or) flooded tiles for 1 action."

And the long version:
The Diver can step off a tile, move thorough any number of missing tiles and flooded tiles (in any combination, in any order) then land back on to an unflipped tile (dry or flooded) for one action. He's really quite versatile, you know. This helps him hold his own when compared against the Pilot.

There aren't any arcane restrictions other than the fact that he can't move where there were never any tiles at the beginning of the game. You can rationalize this by saying the water is too deep there if you like.

Hope this helps!

- Matt

I think that the bit that I bolded was a typo though. An "unflipped" tile is always "dry". I think that he meant to say that he can "land on a tile still in the game (dry or flooded)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No, no, no!

The diver can swim in any direction, any distance: but ONLY through spaces where there used to be tiles, but which are now flooded, either temporarily or permanently. You can't swim through the ocean around the island!

Or, as the rules say on page 4:

"The diver may move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for 1 action."

This is what I suspected. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the diver still has to swim in a straight line, correct?

For example, if I use the example set-up (O is missing tile, X is dry land):

A O X
O O O
O O B

In order for the diver to get from point A to point B he must spend one action point to swim over to X and then use a second action to swim over to B. He can't swim directly from A to B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:

A O X
O O O
O O B

In order for the diver to get from point A to point B he must spend one action point to swim over to X and then use a second action to swim over to B. He can't swim directly from A to B.

No, the Diver can go from A to B as a single action. I find it simpler just to consider that moves to an 'O' space cost no action points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

A O X
O O O
O O B

No, the Diver can go from A to B as a single action. I find it simpler just to consider that moves to an 'O' space cost no action points.

Okay, but where do you get that from? Because the rules say that except for the one role where it specifically says they can move diagonally, it appears that all others must move only in a straight line. I assumed that this held true for the diver as well who must end his move on a dry or flooded tile (which is why in my example he could not go A O O then O B).

I'm new to the game so just trying to clarify for myself not trying to argue.

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Phytoman wrote:
Dystopian wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

A O X
O O O
O O B

Okay, but where do you get that from? Because the rules say that except for the one role where it specifically says they can move diagonally, it appears that all others must move only in a straight line. I assumed that this held true for the diver as well who must end his move on a dry or flooded tile (which is why in my example he could not go A O O then O B).

I'm new to the game so just trying to clarify for myself not trying to argue.

Thanks,
Tim

I think it comes from the "any number of tiles." According to Matt's answer (as I read it), the diver has to move where tiles used to be/are flooded. As someone already stated, the diver still moves through tile spaces, but isn't limited by the number it can move. Since it's not limited by number, it appears that any flooded/sunken tile can be moved through, following normal rules (e.g., orthogonal movement). In your example, the diver could go from tile A down two and right two to tile B.

However, I think if you rearrange the tiles to this configuration:

A O X
O X O
X O B

Where X are "dry" tiles, and "O" are flooded/removed tiles, then the diver cannot go from A to B because it requires a diagonal move. But could A to any of the X's for 1 action by swimming through "O." At least, that's how we interpret it in our games and based on the forum answers we've seen (which admittedly we may have missed some responses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once tried to write a "comprehensive" rule set in the style of the comprehensive rules for, say, Magic: the Gathering. Here are the rules I wrote for the Diver, which are consistent with the iPad app.

Quote:
201.1a For one action point, a player may move from his or her tile to a tile which shares an edge with that tile.

300.2 As an exception to 201.1a, the Diver may also spend one action point to make a series of orthogonal moves, where the final destination is a flooded or unflooded Tile, and the intermediate Tiles are all flooded or missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.