mbmbmbmbmb
So I have been reading through the AARs from
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
on the play throughs of the Ancient World series games, and I'm itching for good Roman Fall of the Republic game at a similar scale. Anyone have any suggestions? I have Imperium Romanum II in the queue to hit the table, but I couldn't think of any others that cover the era in detail at a scale above tactical, ie I'm not looking for GBOH. I thought this had been discussed before but my BGG search-foo failed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Civil War by Joe Miranda may be your thing. Ptolemaic maps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:

+1

Awesome series of games, and this one in particular is the coolest since you can use maps from the other three to make World War Zero between Pompey and Caesar.

I highly recommend the optional rules and battleboard from Moves Magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar is a block game of the Caesar vs. Pompey civil war.

Caesar XL, also by Joseph Miranda, also covers this period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
xmfcnrx wrote:

Didn't know about the Moves magazine issue. Would you happen to have the issue number??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:
chuft wrote:
xmfcnrx wrote:

Didn't know about the Moves magazine issue. Would you happen to have the issue number??

But of course. Moves #77, from Oct-Nov 1993. Has optional political tables, more rules, etc. and the battleboard system (based on Trajan's - don't recall the differences offhand). Also has a Pharsalus Battleboard scenario I believe.

Edit: This issue also contains the Expansion rules for adding in the other maps and counters to the Civil War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, went ahead and added the whole series to my list to buy. I'll probably grab the Trajan expansion box from Decision, and round up the other two somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingMonkey127 wrote:
Thanks, went ahead and added the whole series to my list to buy. I'll probably grab the Trajan expansion box from Decision, and round up the other two somewhere.

Excellent games. I got the expansion box as well. I can't recall if it includes Trajan, since I already had Trajan/Roman Civil War/Caesar in Gallia/Germania.

Germania uses a different, simplified set of rules, including a very significant change to the supply rules. I would not use those rules with any of the other games. I think Caesar in Gallia had the latest and greatest rules for use with the first three games.

I need to get around to fussing with the expansion stuff. I seem to recall it including some cool earlier Republican era stuff like units from the Mithradatic Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
I would like to nominate this thread for the "Old School Nerd Award."

(No sarcasm intended. Far from it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingMonkey127 wrote:

The Trajan 'Expansion' package from DG has all you want as there is no need to get all four magazines. And congratulations for picking up the best ancients gaming system. It plays like what you would read in the histories as it generates quite a realistic narrative as you go along.

-------------------------

Thanks Captain, I'll pick up #77.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Trajan 'Expansion' package from DG has all you want as there is no need to get all four magazines..

The expansion kit only includes 2 of the 4, but the full Trajan box has all 4. Unfortunately, the full box is out of print and seems to be a bit harder to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction. I got the big box, whatever it's called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
xmfcnrx wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I got the big box, whatever it's called.

No, both come in a big box. The difference is that if it's an expansion kit box, not everything is in it, as opposed to the full game box.

FWIW, this is probably my favourite ancients operational system, ahead of Imperium Romanum II.

My experience with the Ancient World series series does not go beyond Rise of the Roman Republic - I was a playtester, and it was not capable of replicating the historical moves. (Though admittedly, the Trajan series can have the same weakness - at least in Caesar in Gallia, Roman armies are unlikely to range all the way across the country the same way that Caesar did.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it has been published yet, but you might want to look into Alea Iacta Est from Ludifolie Editions (some of their stuff gets resold by GMT).

Quote:
Alea Iacta Est is a strategic historical wargame for two players. It narrates the civil wars that tore the late Roman Republic to shreds and paved the way for the establishment of the Principate.

The period covered extends from Caesar’s crossing of the Rubicon with soldiers of the XIII Legion (12 January, 49 B.C.) to Octavianus’ closing of the doors of the Temple of Janus (11 January, 29 B.C.), the act that symbolized the return of peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For something beyond the purely military, you can also consider The Republic of Rome. Multiplayer, and focuses on the political intrigues. Not really historical, but full of period flavoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
grognard wrote:
For something beyond the purely military, you can also consider The Republic of Rome. Multiplayer, and focuses on the political intrigues. Not really historical, but full of period flavoured.

I would SO love to use this as a scenario generator for IRII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Schuthof
Netherlands
Zandvoort
flag msg tools
Can these rules be obtained somewhere on the Net ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
grognard wrote:
There's also a simplified PNP version of it. Roma Celer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
grognard wrote:
There's also a simplified PNP version of it. Roma Celer

But don't forget IRII if you have it - one of the most impressive games ever made. Probably a better game design than a fun type game, but I really like it. Generally you find out if you love it or if you hate it pretty quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really understand the artwork, but this game is awesomely thematic for the Late Republic - the designers must have done their research carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.