Graham Weaver
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried playing six characters solo? Was it overwhelming to manage or not as bad as you would think? I'm thinking about giving this a try so I can experience all of the locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds overwhelming. But it can't hurt to try once, right?

I wouldn't do it just to experience the locations, though. I haven't played with more than 4, but I've heard that the strategy is very different. That's the reason I'd really like to try playing with 6. I've seen how different the strategy in this game is with 1, 2, and 4 characters, so 6 would take it to a whole new level.

With 6, you have 80 cards to explore in the location decks, and only 30 cards in the blessings deck, you have to really make a point of exploring 2-3 times every single turn, or the timer might run out on you before you can finish.

My group of 4 is great at this, and with using "scouting" cards like Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Augury, Spyglass, and that elven ally whose name I can never remember. We usually find the villain before actually fighting him. Then we can close a couple of the other locations, spread out to be reading to temporarily close the locations that don't have the villain, and have someone with lots of firepower pick a fight with the big bad. Because of good strategy, we made it all the way through all 8 scenarios in the box without a death or failing a scenario. Usually, we had 6-10 cards left in the blessings deck, but we had more than 10 left at least twice, and I think we only got down to less than 5 once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
grahamweaver wrote:
Has anyone tried playing six characters solo? Was it overwhelming to manage or not as bad as you would think? I'm thinking about giving this a try so I can experience all of the locations.

I have run 4 and 5 character solo.

It is a little more difficult, and I will sometimes "forget" things that could have helped ("Oh, shoot, I forgot to use Valeros's power to help on that combat check." Or "Darn, I wish I had remembered that Seoni had a blessing in her hand when Harsk flipped that barrier last round")

I think 6 would still be doable, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate to play a six-player game for a few scenarios, and it was an amazing experience, for differences already listed in numerous forum posts.

As overwhelming as it seems, I fully intent to play the full campaign solo with six characters, but probably not until the full game is done. I'm only going to do it once, I'm sure, and I'm going to do everything I can to maintain momentum while I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromper wrote:

I wouldn't do it just to experience the locations, though.

It wouldn't be only to experience the locations. I Love this game and think it would be cool to blast through the campaign making all of the decisions for 6 characters. I'm currently playing my set with 2 separate groups and when I think about the set up and tear down to run my own game it makes me groan a little. I guess to further my initial question; to anyone that's tried it, has it been rewarding to play it six player solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Fromper wrote:

With 6, you have 80 cards to explore in the location decks, and only 30 cards in the blessings deck, you have to really make a point of exploring 2-3 times every single turn, or the timer might run out on you before you can finish.

No. On average, you're only seeing slightly over half the cards, not all 80. Give or take, given all the things that can happen, like extra explores, villain moving around, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playing a location is not a problem. As noted by Vic Wertz, the Chief technical officer for the PACG forum on Paizo:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q6s7?Anyone-else-want-to-be-abl...

If you're worried that you'll never play with some of the locations allocated to higher numbers of characters, just note that many locations will be reappearing in later scenarios, and some of them will be intended for smaller groups later.

For example, Guard Tower is a location for 6 players in The Poison Pill (B), for 4 players in Approach to Thistletop (1), and for 1 player in Crow Bait (2).

This is a year-long game. Clearly they will be reusing some of the base set cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Fromper wrote:

No. On average, you're only seeing slightly over half the cards, not all 80. Give or take, given all the things that can happen, like extra explores, villain moving around, etc.

On average, yes. But you have to play as if you're going to face worst case scenario, which is every villain and henchman being the bottom card in their location deck, and the villain being in the last location you clear out.

When you're only playing with one or two characters, you don't need to spend cards like blessings and allies to explore extra times per turn very often. The more characters in the game, the more important this becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a six-character solo scenario recently. It was a lot to keep track of, especially at first. I did the same thing cgrater did - kept forgetting to, for example, use Harsk's "recharge" ability to add 1d4 to other combat checks (which is also a useful way of cycling cards to get to the blessings without "losing health"). I won it with one card left in the blessings deck; it was pretty close.

It's a great way to quickly explore the play-style of all the different characters, which are all very different. Time is also a lot more of a factor than health is...most of my characters had pretty large discard piles. The only character that I thought was at any "risk" of dying, though, was Ezren.

I would say that it's probably a lot more fun to play with six other people, but there's something to be said for taking six on solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running 4 since I got the game last week, and I just got up to BO. After finishing that, I'm going to have to decide if I'm going to run 5 or if I can rejigger my table layout to fit 6 of the remaining characters (should be easier since I picked the least used from what I've read--Amiri, Sajan, Harsk, and Lem). That would be the only reason I wouldn't run 6. Sheesh this game takes up a lot of room, and this is from a Mage Knight player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a 4 character party, solo, atm, and I just lost Harsk in Black Fang's scenario, as I lost track of his deck (coupled with three really pathetically bad rolls).

It's not super duper hard to manage multiple characters (if you keep their turn order the same, you will quickly memorize their special abilities), but there will be times you forget about certain cards that you could have played/card count in a deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromper wrote:
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Fromper wrote:

On average, yes. But you have to play as if you're going to face worst case scenario, which is every villain and henchman being the bottom card in their location deck, and the villain being in the last location you clear out.

When you're only playing with one or two characters, you don't need to spend cards like blessings and allies to explore extra times per turn very often. The more characters in the game, the more important this becomes.

And, in a six-player game everyone gets at most five turns, so you can burn through your deck faster than when you potentially facing 30 turns alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real trick of the 6 players game is that if someone encounter the Vilain when he is not ready then you risk losing 5 blessing from the deck... That hurt a lot more than with less people.

Of course with 6 people you are supposed to have plenty of blessing (except you are supposed to play them for exploring) but no one is safe from a bad roll or two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think you would have to plan for that a little bit more by starting people where they could easily close the locations temporarily so it would only be 2 blessings off the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried it with everything from 1 to 6. Like everyone points out, it's quite different with 6. The biggest issue is the number of turns. I'd blow through every blessing and every way of getting more turns that I could.

I found 2-4 being the most fun though. Resetting 6 decks at the end isn't any fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodi de Boer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried one scenario with 2 characters and will do that one again with 3 for my next run. I guess 3 is a middle ground. I think I might be able to get the characters to help each other better too.

Just haven't decided on what characters to bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with six. I've also tried with two and four and I like six the best because I get to use a variety of characters, and you actually do feel a time crunch, making for a different play style where you're geared toward exploring as quickly as possible while also spreading the characters out among various locations so they can temporarily close them if necessary.

It's not overwhelming to manage although it does go slower than if you had only two. Each character has 2-3 special powers and only a subset of those can be used outside of that character's turn. If you want to make it more manageable, I suppose you could intentionally pick characters that don't have powers or spells/items/etc. that can be used outside of their turn.

I haven't had problems with table space; a six character game takes less space than a typical board game for me using the suggested layout in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horace Darksaber
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never did six, but I *only* play this solo and I *only* play with 4 characters at once.
I think the game is more fun with multiple players, like an old school RPG.. but it does make the game WAY more easy with 4 than with only 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.