Subject: Variants wanted: especially of the anti-exploit kind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Brought this game out last night for my son to play for the first time (it was a previous favourite of my wife and I)

Now I remember hearing there are a few exploits in the game.. I implemented a house rule that you could only buy two of each ingredient at a time (meaning there would always be at least one available for other players).

I noted during the game that if I made two of any potion then one of the other players couldn't make it. This stumped my wife because I had to draw a free potion and got one of the Elixir parts that I had already made. I was initially disappointed at my bad luck but soon realised my wife couldn't now make this brew. Effectively this killed the game.

Also another exploit could be hiring a stranger and then never using them.. that way they can never be used against you.

I wondered if anyone remembers the variants that make this a less exploitative game while still keeping it challenging?

I wondered if the stranger issue could be dealt with by making you pay them a wage each turn in order to retain them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
We had a similar issue when playing this with one person. While it is a smart tactic its very annoying for everyone else and the only tactic against it is to do the same, then games never end.
There are a couple things you could try that we thought of.
Wizards can enter and steal 1 item from another wizards lab(if the wizard isn't there of coarse).
Wizards can only carry 3 items of each category at one time(herbs, special items, & gems). This does not count items in your lab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
vazzucious wrote:
Wizards can only carry 3 items of each category at one time(herbs, special items, & gems). This does not count items in your lab.

I take it that's for a 4 player game? Or do you leave all items in the shops at the start no matter how many players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just curious if anyone can comment on the fixed economy of this game in general such a small the limited bank, ingredients and potions. How necessary is the limited supply? Does this add tension or does it provide opportunity for messing with the game play like previously stated in this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.