John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd test the waters by asking you all out there in BGG land about what you think about Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp being made into an IOS App?

It's a solitaire game without AI so it should be fairly easy to program: just randomize the drawing of the cards, molecules, proteins, etc.

As for graphics, it could be based on the current board design but optimized for a letterbox layout. Double tapping would bring up an area the player wants to focus on.

Anyhoo, no promises, just wanting to see what you guys think. Would you buy it? How much would you be willing to pay for it? $5.99? $0.99? Do you think more people would buy the IOS version instead of the box version? Would people be interested in buying the box version after buying the IOS version, or would the IOS version be a box game killer?

Now discuss... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't own an iOS device, so I don't know how much my opinion counts. But I will say that I would DEFINITELY pick up a copy for my iDevice if I had one. Especially if it was under $7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Peters
United States
Saint Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it and would happily buy an iOS version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy it. But $3.99 is about my limit in terms of price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
I thought I'd test the waters by asking you all out there in BGG land about what you think about Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp being made into an IOS App?

It's a solitaire game without AI so it should be fairly easy to program: just randomize the drawing of the cards, molecules, proteins, etc.

As for graphics, it could be based on the current board design but optimized for a letterbox layout. Double tapping would bring up an area the player wants to focus on.

Anyhoo, no promises, just wanting to see what you guys think. Would you buy it? How much would you be willing to pay for it? $5.99? $0.99? Do you think more people would buy the IOS version instead of the box version? Would people be interested in buying the box version after buying the IOS version, or would the IOS version be a box game killer?

Now discuss... meeple

I'd buy it for $5.99, but it might make me less likely to buy the cardboard version. Though probably I'll buy the cardboard version before the app can be made, and then if I liked the game I'd end up buying both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Cordwainer

Burlington
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't spend more than $10 on a solitaire game under any circumstances.

I'd happily pay $7 or so for this game in iOS format, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Chang
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes, this would be a great way to get some visibility and marketing.

I'd go for 2.99-3.99 price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only be in the market for Android Apps, but I know that's not profitable for the makers. I think it's a great idea at a 2.99-3.99 range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems ideal for an app to me.

I would pay $5. However, I think you would make more money from it pricing the app at $.99 since that seems to be the magic number for "give it a go" people.

With Pandemic just released and other games already out there (Plague, Inc. for example), you need to stay competitive, even if this game is actually different than those. You might have a regular price of $2.99, but have a 2 week launch sale at $.99, then drop it every few months or so.

But Infection should absolutely be an app. I would get in front of it before someone decides to do a knockoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the primary advantages of board games to apps are the physical components and the social aspect. Normally I might buy a board game to play with friends and the app to play alone vs an AI. With a game that is already solitaire, like Infection, one of those advantages is already gone. The app offers the same solitary play experience as the board game. So it comes down to the much lower cost of the app verse having the physical components of the board game. If I got the app, I would not likely buy the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:

Now discuss... meeple

Yes, I would definitely by an iOS or Android (I have both devices) app of this game. If the app got good ratings quality-wise, I'd be willing to pay $6-8 for it.

Hope this happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is starting to look doubtful. The problem is risk. Will the cost of making the game be recouped by sales? There are so many games out there for apps with varying degrees of production values. The challenge is how flashy would an INFECTION app have to be in order to get enough attention from hand held public? This game has no AI since it is totally card/token/dice driven.

I'm concerned that whoever gives of their time and talent to develop the game for iOS/Android will not be rewarded financially enough for their efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
This game has no AI since it is totally card/token/dice driven.

This will make it much easier and thus cheaper to implement. AIs can be tough to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the curious, further discussion here:
App News: Victory Point Games Gets Partner and more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.