traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/09/25/star-trek-attack-win...

by: scottd | Published: September 25th, 2013
Star Trek: Attack Wing

5th Wing Patrol Ship/Jem’Hadar Attack Ship

2 of 4 Wave 1 Star Trek: Attack Wing Expansion Packs

Releases: October 2013

“Victory is Life!”

Welcome back, Star Trek: Attack Wing fans, to another peek into the ships of the Wave 1 expansion packs. This week we take a look at a starship of the genetically bred Jem’Hadar. The 5th Wing Patrol Ship Expansion Pack introduces one more Dominion ship to the game in the form of the Jem’Hadar Attack Ship. At 22 points, the 5th Wing Patrol Ship sports an extremely nimble movement dial and the ability to increase its damage output by gaining on additional attack die at the expense of losing a defensive die that turn. For 2 points less, a player can play the non-unique version with a more static attack and defensive capability.

Commanding the ship will be the Jem’Hadar’s Vorta in the form of Weyoun and Lauran. Weyoun can be disabled to keep your Crew Upgrades from harm while Lauran reduces the cost of a Dominion upgrade by 2 SP. The Crew themselves also provide great additions to the ship. Omet’iklan can convert any result to a hit while Toman’torax has the ability to discard a Crew Upgrade from an opponent’s ship even if it is cloaked or has active shields. Virak’kara also provides support by allowing the Dominion player to disable a crew upgrade on an opponent’s ship and then be able to use the ability of that disabled upgrade but it should be noted that he and the rest of the Jem’Hadar crew can only be purchased for a Jem’Hadar ship.

(Pics of) Ships - 5th Wing Patrol ShipCaptain - Weyoun Captain - Luaran
Crew - Toman'torax Crew - Virak'kara Crew - Omet'iklan

The expansion also comes equipped with Photon Torpedoes and the Phased Polaron Beam Secondary Weapons cards. The latter allows all damage to ignore an opponent’s shields thereby allowing hits to impact straight to the hull. Tech upgrades come in the form of the Long Range Tachyon Scan which basically allows the player to spend a Scan token to cancel out the Range 3 defensive bonus of its target while still impacting them with the normal effects of a Scan token as well as the Suicide Attack upgrade which will allow the Dominion player to roll an astonishing 8 attack dice against their opponent (at the cost of the destruction of their own ship).

(Pics of) Weapon - Phased Polaron BeamTech - Suicide AttackTech - Long Range Tachyon Scan

With all of the variety in the 5th Wing Attack Ship expansion and the new Effect Tokens to help remind players of cards effects, Dominion fans will find many different combinations to help bolster the Cardassian and Breen ships already available for their favorite faction. Try out the enclosed mission, The First Battle of Chin’toka using one Jem’Hadar ship to fly alongside the Gor Portas or the Kraxon or field a 3 ship wing against the encroaching opponent. Regardless of how a player decides to build their fleet, the Dominion forces have never been closer to securing control of the Alpha Quadrant than right now!

Keep a look out next week when we skip back to the past to take a look at a Romulan ship from the 22nd Century: the I.R.W. Praetus.

=====================================================

Really liking some of the options presented here!

Suicide attack, Weyoun and Virak’kara......looks like I might need to pick up some Ketracel-White as I will be having some new guests coming over to my games soon. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This might be the first expansion that I double-up on. Sounds really cool, and I do like that ship model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suicide Attack FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have enjoyed playing the Gor Portas and think adding a couple of these Attack Ships will prove to be a deadly combination.

I see Defiant and 5th Wing Patrol ship getting a lot of table time in a few short weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the Jem'Hadar crew are awesome is Sulu on that Cloaked Valdore annoying you. Get up and personal and get rid of him!

Luaran is a nice understated card too.

Do you want that second Energy Dissapator but can only afford a generic captain. Buy Luaran instead for 2 and get the upgrade for -2 same cost as before but now your captain has skill 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Nice! These cards fill up a lot of weaknesses the Dominion had. I do hope the ships will be maneuverable or have a good firing arc since they have to go so close.

I guess people won't be complaining about the mixing of factions as much any more. I actually expect more cards to have the "loyalty" trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Suicide Attack FTW!

Suicide attack plus the generic Jem'hadar ship costs 25 points so you better make sure it kills an expensive ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
Suicide Attack FTW!

Suicide attack plus the generic Jem'hadar ship costs 25 points so you better make sure it kills an expensive ship.

Yeah, not sure I would ever actually play it...just like the way they're being thematic and throwing in cool uses of existing mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
dc0nklin wrote:
Suicide Attack FTW!

That means you can buy four of them.

If an enemy is running a three-ship fleet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards, stats, and crew do look good for variety...I certainly am intrigued, but...

d'oh!

Another ridiculously-oversized, hideously-painted ship.

Has anyone done smaller minis of the Jem'Hadar ship? How do the micro machines stack up??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
The cards, stats, and crew do look good for variety...I certainly am intrigued, but...

d'oh!

Another ridiculously-oversized, hideously-painted ship.

Has anyone done smaller minis of the Jem'Hadar ship? How do the micro machines stack up??

I've been doing some research on this lately, and the Micro Machines seem to be all virtually the same scale (or lack thereof) as these ships.

I think I'm just going to have to decide to get over my scale qualms.

I do like the look of this ship and all it's nice crew options. :) I agree with a comment above- this will probably be the first expansion that I buy multiple of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
WakandaMan wrote:
I do like the look of this ship and all it's nice crew options. I agree with a comment above- this will probably be the first expansion that I buy multiple of.

I'm tempted but I think 1 of this will do - I'll just wait and see (and hope!) that they do a different sister ship at some point. Don't really want duplicates of all those unique cards hanging around. Would bug (pun intended...) me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to start with 1 (like most ships) but I'll probably end up with 2.

If all goes well(and I'm a judge/coordinator) Im looking to have multiples of these ships;

Absolutely
3 Warbird(D’deridex-class) (2 starters and the LE) the Romulan ship for me
3 Klingon Birds of Prey (2 expansions and the LE) the Klingon ship for me
2 D7s (2 expansions) as I like the look of that swarm.

Maybe
2 Valdores (2 expansions) it would be nice for the scenario and I like the ship
2 Scarabs (Patrol Ship/Jem’Hadar) (2 Expansions)

I think those are the only ones I'm looking at getting multiples of right now......there might be something in Wave 4 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WakandaMan wrote:

I've been doing some research on this lately, and the Micro Machines seem to be all virtually the same scale (or lack thereof) as these ships.

I hope you've checked out my scale thread if you're considering for other model options!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
dc0nklin wrote:
Suicide Attack FTW!

You must yell "Victory is Life" when rolling the dice cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
WakandaMan wrote:

I hope you've checked out my scale thread if you're considering for other model options!

That thread has been EXTREMELY handy to me! Basically, I've decided that the 'attack wing' items identified in blue and green are "close enough" for my taste, so I've been sticking to picking up those models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the looks of this ship. Has some very interesting options. Cant wait to get my hands on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.