Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I have found some cool looking asteroids that i want to play with to increase the look and feel of the game. But the rules don't work with them.

Does anyone know if there is any house rules that i can use when i play with them? They look sooo much better than playing with the cardboard ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CeeTee2001 wrote:
Hi there!

I have found some cool looking asteroids that i want to play with to increase the look and feel of the game. But the rules don't work with them.

Does anyone know if there is any house rules that i can use when i play with them? They look sooo much better than playing with the cardboard ones.

We play with 3D asteroids and the normal rules as written. It might help to know why your 3D asteroids won't work with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watt
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Well, with ships you go solely by the base of the ship. The position of the mini and whether it's touching is immaterial. So I'd do the same here. A lot of the asteroids I see are connected to the cardboard tokens with small plastic stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I think I get it. You can still use the cardboard tokens but cover them with your 3D asteroids (whether elevated on a stand or otherwise). When a ship moves close, remove the 3D component and play with the 2D cardboard as usual. After ships have moved away from that asteroid, replace the 3D component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the tokens underneath the 3d asteroids. So when measuring or during movement (if needed) I can move the 3D asteroid and still have the game token in place.

Also, only if you think you need it, Corsec Eng has bases that are exactly to same size as the FFG asteroid tokens. But really any base should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think i'm gonna go with Jeffs tip, use the cardboard ones underneath. I hope that wont look to bad though. Thanks guys!

But keep the house rules coming. I really think there is better ones out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CeeTee2001 wrote:
I think i'm gonna go with Jeffs tip, use the cardboard ones underneath. I hope that wont look to bad though. Thanks guys!

But keep the house rules coming. I really think there is better ones out there.

We use the Corsec Engineering bases that Ken mentioned. Here's what they look like (the asteroids are lava rocks for BBQ's):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually look quite nice. Where can i find those stands? or do i have to buy them with the asteroids as a part of a kit or something?

I wonder if they sell them here in Sweden...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it does not matter if an asteroid base is a bit smaller or larger than the cardboard token would be, so I just use the asteroid bases as they are. My set of asteroids included some rocks without stand, so I have some larger obstacles as well. This is good enough for me.

In the rare event that a ship actually stops on a rock you can either apply ship collision rules and move the ship back or temporarily remove the asteroid, replacing it with a token to remember its position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Corsec Eng Asteroid Base

http://corseceng.com/omni-stand/omni-stand-asteroid-bases/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is lava rocks on basic plastic stands on top of the cardboard counters:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.