Empire of the Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Japanese Card #48: New China Army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Burma Road is closed and hence Chinese units OOS, do they get the bonus of this card?
Quote:
Bonus: The Allies receive one Chinese ground replacement step for a reduced Chinese unit. This replacement step cannot be saved and is lost if not used immediately. Additionally, all Chinese army units may then be activated at no additional activation cost.

Normally units can't get replacements or be activated if OOS; but card text supersedes rules according to 5.3:
Quote:
If the text of an event contradicts the rules, the card text supersedes the rules of the game and is used instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lopo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
Miste Fox is here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps if the HUMP is active so Kunming is a supply source and you can put your replacement step there... Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is that Chinese Army units can be supplied through a Commonwealth HQ in India, so perhaps the Burma Road Open or Closed or Hump are not relevant. I don't know if I am correct here, but somebody check me on this.

My second thought is, what if the Chinese units are unsupplied and not in activation range? Apparently the answer would be yes, they would get the benefits of this card. Obviously not fitting the theme, so maybe we will get a clarification on this, but that is how I read it right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toker wrote:
If Burma Road is closed and hence Chinese units OOS, do they get the bonus of this card?
Quote:
Bonus: The Allies receive one Chinese ground replacement step for a reduced Chinese unit. This replacement step cannot be saved and is lost if not used immediately. Additionally, all Chinese army units may then be activated at no additional activation cost.

Normally units can't get replacements or be activated if OOS; but card text supersedes rules according to 5.3:
Quote:
If the text of an event contradicts the rules, the card text supersedes the rules of the game and is used instead.

I do not believe that this is a case where the text of the cards is superseding the rules. The card does not say that you can receive the replacement if you are out of supply, which would supersede the rules. If you cannot use the replacement, e.g., you are OOS you lose it. The same thing for activations, you have to be within range of an HQ and in supply.

The only card that I can think of that allows for OOS activation is the General Adachi card.

I hope that helps,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks Mark, that helps very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.