Popular Tags: [View All]
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the 6th round of TI for my group since picking the game up earlier in the year. In that time we’ve become fairly familiar with it and are having a lot of fun.

For this session we adopted the SE strategy cards and all of the game rules except:
- Preliminary Objectives
- Leaders
- Simulated Early Turns
- Mercenaries
- Political Intrigue

We had six players: Chris drew the University of Jol-nar; Joe was the Brotherhood; Ted had the Yssaril; Mike grabbed the Xxcha; Paul roved around with the Clan; leaving myself with the green-loving Arborec.

Our map ended up wildly imbalanced this time, with the bulk of the planets centered around myself, Ted to my left who would end up with more influence than anyone else in the game, and Joe to his left. On turn one the three of us quickly came to an agreement of who was taking what.

To my right, Chris was fairly unhappy with the available industry from his systems but the two bright spots for him were lots of influence and a three-planet system, “Ashtroth/Loki/Abaddon”, one space centerward from his capital. He would go on to load that with no less than 4 pds’s all outfitted with the deep space technology. This later helped him protect two artifact tokens.

Colonization was relatively peaceful. We’ve all seen what happens early to undefended home systems via Flank Speed and/or In the Silence of Space, but none of those shenanigans plagued us this time.

An early public objective was to spend six trade goods. I wasn't able to snag the trade strategy early on but managed to scrape together enough to get the victory point. But no! Chris to my right guesses what I’m saving them for and plays a Privateers action card stealing 3 for himself and dumping my other three. This forced me to save and scrounge even further, which I seriously didn’t have the economy to do.

I was almost completely forgoing tech in order to save for that objective as well as grow my ground pounders (aka mobile shipyards).

The first of two total tech’s that I invested in was Gravity Drive. I had a wormhole right next door to my home system as well as the system one to the galactic center to me. My Secret Objective was to set down on Mecatol with a space dock so once I was established two spaces away I planned to build then jump up there in the same turn utilizing the Production strat card.

Ted had his own aspirations though and gets there first with a fair sized fleet. I figured I could attack him at Mecatol and win but it would be close enough that I stood the chance of losing a carrier in the battle. In addition I'd be pretty anemic for anyone else who decided to come up there before I had a chance to build again.

Thus, I decided to instead cut into Ted’s space and get between his Capital and Mecatol, killing a lone dreadnaught and a shipyard. At this point my fleet capacity was six and consisted of two carriers, a dreadnaught of my own, and three cruisers. I was carrying 7 GF’s, 6 fighters and one free capacity.

The plan was to increase my fleet capacity to eight and again use Production to add a couple of carriers and assault Mecatol the next turn with even more fighters and GF’s. My fighters were fairly decent given my 2nd and final tech was Cybernetics.

However, the old adage goes: "No plan survives contact with the enemy"; or in this case, "enemy" would be replaced with "political system".

To my horror, the resolution to limit fleet size to "five" was too good for everyone else to pass up. My competitors were seemingly afraid of my warmongering as well as Paul on the other side of the map assaulting the point leader’s capital. As a result, one of my cruisers disappeared in effort to comply with my new fleet maximum.

At this point I was nearly techless and now lacked the ability to move large numbers of GF’s forward AND have enough space combat capability to where they could land safely. My assault on Mecatol would have to wait.

All the while, Chris had been acquiring techs and victory points and became the leader the same turn the Xxcha lost his capital. When he took Bureaucracy the second time in a row I immediately called for a truce with Ted to try and focus on Chris.

Unfortunately, my fleet was out of position and not adjacent to a wormhole or gravity rift but I figured I could apply pressure with builds. That thought was stifled by a Plague which cost me 3 of 4 GF’s and another action card, Secret Industrial Agent, which removed my space dock at the same planet. I had zero GF’s in my home system.

The next turn Chris took Bureaucracy a THIRD turn in a row and managed to turn the “Game Over” objective for the win.

The Leader Board:
Chris – 6
Mike – 5
Joe – 3
Ted – 2
Myself – 1
Paul – 0

I don’t think a single vote went the way I wanted it to, despite having a boost from Lazax Survivors. Still, it was a really enjoyable session and clocked in at 7.5hrs including a break for food.

Despite my political misfortunes I did like playing as the plants. The ability to take your shipyard forward with you and grow/replenish directly on the front line was powerful. I combined that with the Production strategy card several times in order to build and transplant myself on the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Entertaining.

You cannot use Production with your Ground Forces Arborec ground forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
Entertaining.

You can if there is a friendly Space Dock in the system. (Unless there is a ruling contradicting the FAQ that I've missed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
Entertaining.

You can if there is a friendly Space Dock in the system. (Unless there is a ruling contradicting the FAQ that I've missed).

Right, you can use production with the SD. But not with GF alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. The narrative is unclear as to whether there was a Space Dock in the system or not; I just assumed there was one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's my mistake then. We'll take that into account for future games.

At least the impact was small given most of my major build-n-move actions were implemented from my forward spacedock system... at least until it was destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.