Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi All,

I currently own Pandemic (my favorite co-op game) and Forbidden Island (love it for its simplicity and introductory capabilities), and love both of them! BUT they are similar in many ways.

Both Flashpoint Fire Rescue and Forbidden Desert look great to me, but I'm just not sure either are different enough from the two I own, to warrant a new purchase. (on my very limited budget, ie. maybe 1 more game this year).

Do you think either of these are different enough and why?

Thanks for your help!
-Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and Forbidden Island are from the same designer and, IMO, are basically the same game (to the degree that I don't recommend owning both of them. I know that you and others disagree with me on this.)

I haven't played Forbidden Desert. I own Flash Point, it does play differently to the degree that it's worth owning. (This said if you're only able to buy one more game this year you might want to ask for recommendations for that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apenheul
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert but I personally wouldn't recommend Flash Point if you want a very different experience from Pandemic. They ARE different of course; compared to Pandemic I feel that Flash Point emphasizes tactical decisions over strategic ones. The main reason for this is that using dice instead of cards makes the fire behave more unpredictably than a virus would in Pandemic. It's a very good game though, I just think that another game might complement those games you've mentioned better.

By the way, Hanabi proved to be a surprise hit with my group, as did Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island although that one might exceed your budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely go with Flashpoint. It's a great game, and it plays out differently than the others you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
We have all three of the Gamewright games and Forbidden Desert is our favorite. It's much more dynamic than Forbidden Island. They took out the more tedious and chance based mechanics, streamlined some of the other stuff and added a few more levels of complexity with the classes that actually requires you to work together in order to survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.