Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall 1939.
The pre game chit was the infamous “Why die for Danzig.” Britain and France step back from the brink leaving Poland in the lurch. She buys peace by giving up the free city of Danzig and the polish corridor but received Slovakia making her a Nazi client. Russia agreed to declare on Germany for 40 BRP from the UK and France. South Africa stuck with the commonwealth, British trade in the med was suspended..
France had a standard set up, TAC and strong army in the Maginot line. She bought carriers but not SAC.

Italy allied with Germany and put most of her army and TAC on the French border. 1 TAC in Trieste to control the Adriatic. Yugoslavia looks safe from invasion. None of his TAC or Surf are based in the central med so I will be able to land where I choose and block reinforcements to Libya. The Italian LC was tucked away, low down in the Whilhelmshaven stack.

Germany based all 30 TAC on the North Sea coast and spent 15BRP on a general offensive. Pretty clear evidence that he intended to invade the UK. He built infantry before panzers with 5 in Austria ready to bolster Mussolini’s regime.

Russia garrisoned her forts and placed everything else along the Polish border. He forewent his TAC to make sure he had enough funds for winter.
Britain scrimped on infantry to pay Stalin’s bribe. 2 fleets sat in Portsmouth. I really should have paid more attention to the axis build up across the North Sea and set up back in Plymouth. My LC started in Suez with 10th Indian.

Diplomacy. Italy went up and down with Spain. The axis wasted 24 BRP trying to make some minors hostile to the soviets. France succeeded in bribing Romania.

Sea zones. Russia controlled the Baltic and we raided the iron ore route. Germany put 30 TAC over the North Sea which I decided not to contest as I only had 16 TAC and 4 CV available. Italy sent 9 to the Western Med and 1 over the Adriatic. Britain controlled the North Atlantic, western approaches, central and eastern med. U boats and Italian subs raided the North Atlantic.

Declarations of war. USSR declared on Poland, Germany and Italy. If she didn’t she might sign up to a year of peace in winter aka the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact political chit. The US is angry at such aggression and won’t be sending material for a year. The minor European nations react badly. Britain and France joined in. I contemplated waiting a season to ride out his general offensive but I’d promised Jon he could call me a weasel if Russia didn’t get 20 BRP straight away.

Strategic Redeployment. The US sent aid to France. France shipped an army to Newcastle and a garrison to Algiers . Britain shipped supplies to Stalin and railed ground troops to all the juicy remaining invasion spots. There was the Norfolk beach which would double the amount of troops he could lift and allow him to exploit, a hex next to London that would block US aid in winter, both in range of paratroops too, Edinburgh where he could land 10 TAC and fly over the Western Approaches in winter and Scapa Flow which could block Murmansk convoys. The channel coast was secured by minefields. Of course this meant no troops going to France but I figured she was safe for a turn as he hadn’t declared on Belgium or Luxembourg. Russia moved up some of her builds. Poland sent 13 BRP to Germany. Germany might have reinforced Poland but chose to hold them back at the Oder at least temporarily.
Operations. France attacked with 2nd rate infantry and managed to push into Italy along the Mediterranean coast with a bit of lucky rolling. The Italians countered with tankettes out of Genoa and destroyed a French corps. 5 German infantry corps and South HQ marched into the Po valley.

Britain infantry sailed from Egypt and landed unopposed at Tripoli losing one landing craft. The remaining LC stopped in Tripoli. I think I can use 10th Indian for another landing next turn.

French TAC strafed empty airfields at Bonn and rebased to the coast. I didn’t risk attacking across the Rhine as I was expecting to run into panzers and have to face a big counterattack but actually he only had 2 panzers on each front. Next turn they will even up the air battle to control the North Sea. Invasion barges loaded with panzers and transport planes with paratroops sat idly under friendly blue skies waiting for orders that never came. I thought he could probably have made it ashore at the Wash.

Russia cleared the approaches to Warsaw and gained the city itself during exploitation. The Germans crept forward to the Vistula but didn’t launch any attacks and left Konigsberg undefended.
Poland surrendered. Britain couldn’t even afford to build up the western desert force.

Winter 39. The weather was fairly mild though the Baltic froze as far south as Riga. The political chit was no event. France rebuilt her infantry and reneged on the promise of material to Russia. Stalin accepted this quite well as he had more BRP than the UK and France put together. America sent 20 BRP to Britain and France. Hungary declared on Russia which rather opened up the southern flank of the Vistula front and will give the allies a boost with Romania in spring.

Germany, France and Britain clashed for control of the North Sea. 2/3rds of the British carrier fleet went to the bottom but overall it was a draw with both sides having 22 TAC left at the end. It would be a brave admiral who set out with an amphibious fleet in the face of all that. Subs raided the North Atlantic and Norwegian Sea. Italy controlled the Western med and Britain held the central and eastern med. Russia railed her garrisons forward. Britist GHQ, WDF, an infantry and a fleet sailed to Malta whilst the garrison went in the opposite direction.

Operations. Britain landed in the toe of Italy leaving Tripoli empty. The LC survived intact and returned to Malta.
France and Italy fought back and forth with no change to the position of the front line. Along the Rhine 1 German garrison was destroyed. His line held though he had little to counterattack with.
Russia and Germany sparred along the lower Vistula with neither side able to gain a bridgehead. We discussed whether supply could be drawn over the frozen section of the Baltic and decided it could. Konigsberg and Danzig fell to the soviets and they began to turn the headwaters of the Vistula up in the Carpathians.
The Italians put 4 TAC from the western med to Messina which threatened my landings supply line.
Britain built up WDF.

Spring 1940. No political event again. Britain built her infantry, garrisons, SAC and laid down replacement carrier hulls . Germany built u-boats and panzers. French TAC losses were rebuilt in Marseilles and the infantry in Lyons. Italy also bought her heavy bombers and replaced lost infantry.

Diplomacy & SR. Italy went down with Spain but the axis declared on Portugal so she’ll probably join in Summer. Russia went up from hostile to neutral with Turkey, and Spain. Romania allied with France and declared on the axis. Sweden declared on Russia. American aid unloaded in Plymouth and St Nazaire.

Sea Zones. Sweden sent 2 TAC to the Baltic to be destroyed by 4 from the USSR. The Russian fleet and allied subs raided. France put 3 TAC concealed beneath a surf into the western med and 7 surf into the central med. If Italy splits her TAC Britain would have added 2 TAC and 2 carriers to the western med and made a battle of it. I would accept French surf losses to secure the supply route to the British landing in Italy. Italy put all 9 TAC into the western med which Britain didn’t contest so the French fled for Tunis after just 1 round. Italy still controlled the Adriatic with 1 TAC. Britain held the Eastern & North Atlantic, Western Approaches and eastern med. Axis subs were unlucky taking 8 losses to inflict just 9 BRP on Britain.

Germany gave up on controlling the North Sea as the allies, even outnumbered 5:4, can afford the losses more easily than him. Instead he declared on the Netherlands who set up well forward leaving space for the British army which flooded in during SR even as half her BRP went out. With only 2 panzers but 5 infantry and 30 TAC Germany cleared the Dutch border but thought better of pressing on in exploitation against the well formed British line. The RAF swept in low on Wilhelmshaven. Losses in the air were even and 2 surf and both Italian LC sank
France laid into the Italians and bled the Germans a bit but couldn’t make any ground. Italy regained her frontier for the loss of a tankette corps.

10th Indian marched to Messina. Her place was taken by WDF and 12th infantry under GHQ.

Russia attacked at both ends of the Vistula making a little progress around Krakow but parts of the line were weakly held. 1 cavalry army advanced far behind the German lines and rode down centre HQ. That completely disorganised the German counterattack. Hungary knocked out a 1 point cavalry and cut off 3 Russian armies. The Romanians swept in from Transylvania. Budapest was wide open and fell easily but they lacked the strength to relieve the Russian pocket. Tragically the pocket couldn’t draw supply through Romanian territory as they are neutral to each other. 2 Russians died out of supply and never to return and the other was reduced and looking very vulnerable.

At the start of Summer Italy had just 5 BRP left, Germany 43, France 86, UK 92 and Russia a mighty 156.

Thanks to James (Germany & Italy) and especially my ally Jon (USSR & photographer) for a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
A thousand yards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin, you have WAY too much fun with this game.

I need to get it or Great Pacific War on the table one of these days.

Love your AARs...

-Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Adams
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Great Pacific War is quite a bit of fun after playing ETO--a completely different puzzle to solve with the same ruleset. More of a chess match, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.