Hanabi» Forums » General

Subject: Win with 25 points question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
Greece
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I like playing Hanabi using the win/loss condition and not accumulating points at the end. But I have a question.

In the rules it says that if you play by this variant you can continue after the last round is being played. Meaning that someone can have less than 4 cards in his hand if he keeps discarding to get action tokens back. That results playing many more actions in total to gather up the complete 25 score.

On the other hand, if you play only for scoring you play an extra round and then it is over. Isn't this way harder to get a complete 25 points, thus winning? You have less actions meaning you have to be more efficient to win. Using the first variant I posted, it gives you more time to set up your win.

My question is this. How do you play this if you agree at the start to go for the win condition?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Washburn
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only personally played the typical way where you total the score and only get one round after the deck is spent, so unfortunately I can't answer the initial question you pose...when I first read the variant you mention it was before I'd actually played the game at that time it sounded a whole lot less forgiving. I didn't give it a second thought I never went back to the rules to re-read and forgot about it completely.

Now reading this thread, being reminded of it and thinking back on the games I've played in my head I've got to think it would be a whole lot easier to actually get to 25 after your group has developed some conventions that allow you to accurately identify and deal with "danger" cards. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone further modifies things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, that variant makes the game easier in exchange for narrowing the victory condition. I imagine it was done both in order to keep the variant from being too much harder than the basic game, and in order to avoid the potentially frustrating case of being unable to win due to a key card being stuck on the bottom of the deck.

All that said, when you hear about people saying they play only for perfect scores here on BGG, most (if not all) of them are playing for a perfect score without the luxury of the extended end-game. I haven't heard of anyone using the printed variant from the more recent editions which you are referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.