United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
So I've been kind of forced into learning the Ruby programming language and also Ruby on Rails. I'm already a programmer so all I need to learn is the syntax as the concepts are familiar.

My question is:

How did you learn how to use Ruby? And if you know Ruby on Rails, what did you do to learn that?

And a follow up is:

Why did you learn Ruby?

I already have some personal opinions about Ruby, but I won't share them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Ruby for awhile (2-3 months), but discovered I hate the syntax. Ended up deciding at that time to 'go deep' into Python instead. So, while I didn't answer your question, I did put some more chit into this chat.

Context / End result:
For scripting, I pretty much only use Python these days, although long ago I learned Perl and Bash. I spend most of my days writing C code (been doing that for over 25 yrs) (and a little C++ and Java), tho as that is what I am paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, I don't care for the syntax. There are a few things that I like, but overall I'm not impressed.

But, when the boss says that we need to take over a project from a 3rd party vendor, and support the code they wrote for another department, you just gotta learn how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I played around with it for a bit when Rails was first released.

Ruby, in and of itself, is nothing extraordinary but the rails framework made design really simple.

Code Academy (http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/ruby) has a learning track for Ruby but like the other programs it looks pretty basic and might only serve as a beginners' guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
You find some interest in the Ruby Koans approach:

http://rubykoans.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I played around with it for a bit when Rails was first released.

Ruby, in and of itself, is nothing extraordinary but the rails framework made design really simple.

Strangely I am the opposite. Not sold on Rails at all. However I like some of the language bits a lot. The meta-programming and how it allows easy creation of internal DSLs etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.