Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having played the first three scenarios with Kyra the cleric, I have encountered quite a few blessing other than blessing of the gods. Now, how to make up my next deck of cards?

Would you rather include more blessing of the gods as they offer more flexibility (being able to copy the topmost card of the blessings deck) or would you rather include any other blessing in the hope of being able to recharge it due to a match with the blessings deck? TO me the second option sounds rather weak, but then again I have not many plays under my belt....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the more "advanced" blessings gives you more control over what you can use which turn. If you're playing with a lot more players, that becomes key, as each character has fewer turns. They need to make sure those turns count, so making sure that you can do what you want, when you want it is pretty key.

Blessing of the Gods also doesn't recharge...and recharging is pretty useful and a great way to conserve health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither.

I think the best option is to collect the blessings you actually want to use the most.

Relying on BotG isn't practical because the top card will rarely be what you wish it was for a given check.

Collecting "any" other blessings in the hope of matching the top of the deck for a recharge is equally frustrating because there are only 4 or 5 (I think) of each blessing type so your odds of making a match are very low (I think I only manage to recharge a blessing by matching once every few scenarios.) Plus, the more of one type you collect, the less likely you are to match since you're taking them out of circulation from the blessing timer deck.

If you instead collect the blessings you actually want most, you'll get the most use out of them -- I'm grabbing all the Pharasma's that I can get on seoni for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking (and every character has their own nuances) I'll replace as many blessings as I can with upgrades that either enhance their combat checks, or overcome their weak stats (especially solo). However, I always try to keep one Blessing of the Gods in the deck to keep a blessing that's flexible to use with whatever comes up on the turn deck.

A strong argument could be said that keeping that single BotG is too much at the whim of luck and it will come into play that it's useful in that regard less than advanced ones will (especially with recharge) and I'd tend to agree. I just hate being stuck without the ability to use the upcard on blessings deck when it would come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good trick with Lem is to trade with people to get 5 different named blessings in his deck. Since at the start of his turn he can trade a card in his hand for a card of the same type in his discard pile, it increases the chance that he can recharge a blessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
A good trick with Lem is to trade with people to get 5 different named blessings in his deck. Since at the start of his turn he can trade a card in his hand for a card of the same type in his discard pile, it increases the chance that he can recharge a blessing.

I have not played with Lem yet, but checking his stats, this seems like a very smart move - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
For Seelah, I like to collect every single one of the "crap" blessings (ie. the noncombat blessing cards).

The reason is simple: you want to ensure your deck is full of blessings so you can maximize your power. To do so, you need to pull out all the non-blessing cards from your deck and keep recharging blessings. This means you need to play blessings whenever they match the top card of the blessing deck to get them out of your hand and into your deck.

In order for this strategy to work, you need to ensure you keep only a single copy of each crap blessing across all party members, otherwise you dilute the chance of your crap blessings showing on top of the blessing deck. If people replace those with blessings of the gods instead, it increases the chance of those crap blessings from appearing, since you just reduced the number of available blessing of the gods in the box.

Ideally, you want all 5x lamashtus, erastils, pharasma, desnas and gorums into the players' deck, and keeping 4 copies of each of the remaining ones in the box. Then as Seelah, you keep only 1 copy of each of those remaining blessings in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "upgrade" all the time, unless it is really no use at all to anyone in the party. Blessings should be considered as party boosters not self boosters.
The chances of having a useful card on top of the blessings pile to duplicate with BoG is almost non-existent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've cleared both available advantures with my Seelah solo, plus I revisited two scenarios with her in multiplayer(no worries, I didn't took the reward listed on the scenario cards I've already cleared before).

I took every blessing I could muster. And from all these plays I got in total 7 non-Blessing of the Gods blessing. I dream of getting at least one copy of blessing of Lamashtu into my deck, but no luck.
The blessing I've gathered on my Seelah to this moment:
Irori, Gorum, Iomedae, Torag and Shelyn x2.
The seventh I discarded once was second Irori, because with my 1d4 Int it's most useless blessing from all.

Still, I got some decent other cards - Half-Plate, 2 Elven Chain Shirts, Bastard Sword +1, Warhammer +1, Spiked Chain, Holy Light, Cure, Soldier and Father Zantus, so even without Blessing of Lamashtu I feel kinda OK.
Can't wait to face next upcoming advantures with her.

On the side note, I'm very sad I can't use the only existing to the moment loot card in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So nice to find this thread on top just when I was coming to check on this. I'd say in general principle BotG are not terribly useful - in two runs through the intro adventure I've only wanted to match the revealed blessing once. I also tend to keep cards that bolster weak skills, particularly ones that are common on boons. I haven't managed that much diversity yet, but that's the goal.

therealtheshader wrote:

This is an excellent trick! I'll have to see how much I can use it as I really swap a lot of spells for Cure with Lem. I may not have much opportunity to do it.

johncraven wrote:
For Seelah, I like to collect every single one of the "crap" blessings (ie. the noncombat blessing cards).

The reason is simple: you want to ensure your deck is full of blessings so you can maximize your power. To do so, you need to pull out all the non-blessing cards from your deck and keep recharging blessings. This means you need to play blessings whenever they match the top card of the blessing deck to get them out of your hand and into your deck.

In order for this strategy to work, you need to ensure you keep only a single copy of each crap blessing across all party members, otherwise you dilute the chance of your crap blessings showing on top of the blessing deck. If people replace those with blessings of the gods instead, it increases the chance of those crap blessings from appearing, since you just reduced the number of available blessing of the gods in the box.

Ideally, you want all 5x lamashtus, erastils, pharasma, desnas and gorums into the players' deck, and keeping 4 copies of each of the remaining ones in the box. Then as Seelah, you keep only 1 copy of each of those remaining blessings in your deck.

It's unfortunate, then, that my solo team consists of Lem and Seelah - their blessings goals conflict. Still, it's an excellent point. I'm not sure how often one can make this work, but there's nothing more depressing than 3 or 4 blessings in Seelah's discard pile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Snooze
msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:

I'm playing Lem in my current campaign. The way I read it, this doesn't work as you describe. You have to swap the card at the start of your turn. To me, this means you have to do this before you do anything, including drawing from the blessings deck. So you can swap a blessing out before your turn starts, but since you won't know what's coming up in the blessings deck, it doesn't really help in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ttoida wrote:
therealtheshader wrote:

I'm playing Lem in my current campaign. The way I read it, this doesn't work as you describe. You have to swap the card at the start of your turn. To me, this means you have to do this before you do anything, including drawing from the blessings deck. So you can swap a blessing out before your turn starts, but since you won't know what's coming up in the blessings deck, it doesn't really help in that regard.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong - Lem's power doesn't say "before your turn" it says "at the start of the turn." Your turn doesn't start until you advance the blessing deck, therefore you would know what "your" blessing card is for your turn. Then, before doing any other action Lem would have to swap cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Lem, as a weak character, really benefits from having Pheresma, Erastil and Lamashtu blessings to help his combat checks so I wouldn't no go for 5 different and focus on those instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.