Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else seen the Wartune ad which clearly states "men gamers only"?
Now I realize I could pay to lose all ads, but seriously!!! Why does BGG want to have something like this on their site????? I am flabbergasted -- and believe me,it takes a lot to get me to this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see these ads all the time on Facebook. I always x them and mark them as offensive. I don't really understand the advertising strategy with using statements like that. Others say, "Adults only" and other statements that clearly have nothing to do with playing strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
With everything going on in the world what phrase some company uses in an internet banner add is the least of my concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's all about getting prostate exams and discovering a cure for baldness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet that the publisher is scared of vaginas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you know that the game is definitely not about knitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
I see these ads all the time on Facebook. I always x them and mark them as offensive. I don't really understand the advertising strategy with using statements like that. Others say, "Adults only" and other statements that clearly have nothing to do with playing strategy games.

Thanks for your reply-I am typically on a smaller device & somehow never am able to use the 'x' that I would see on a computer. I am also basically an 'ignorer' of advertising in general - but I continue to be surprised that this is somehow profitable for these advertisers on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Maybe it's all about getting prostate exams and discovering a cure for baldness.

Good one. Have you seen it, though? Sorry, I guess I'm losing my sense of humor over this at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
At least you know that the game is definitely not about knitting.

Another good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Maybe not, actually. surpriseThanks for your reply. Have you seen the ad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
With everything going on in the world what phrase some company uses in an internet banner add is the least of my concerns.

Not a good one. Sometimes all we need is an empathetic ear. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now can you believe I have another one that says "Pirates," a game for men only etc. What the...????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
Now I realize I could pay to lose all ads, but seriously!!! Why does BGG want to have something like this on their site????? I am flabbergasted -- and believe me,it takes a lot to get me to this point.

Those ads have a button on them so you can turn them off. They are most likely coming from Google Ads, which BGG doesn't have direct control over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
kaysewill wrote:

Those ads have a button on them so you can turn them off. They are most likely coming from Google Ads, which BGG doesn't have direct control over.

Somehow on my little device I can't find the crazy 'x' to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Maybe not, actually. surpriseThanks for your reply. Have you seen the ad?
Well, it was my best guess. No, I haven't seen the ad - I bribe Aldie to keep the ads off my browser. Isn't there a page somewhere on BGG that lists all the ads currently in rotation? Or am I thinking of another web site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
Gola wrote:

Good one. Have you seen it, though? Sorry, I guess I'm losing my sense of humor over this at the moment.

No, haven't seen it, I chip in and block the ads.

I imagine it's some bit of puerile and misogynistic stupidity designed to appeal to brainless teenage boys, and somewhere some marketing whiz figured out that if you declare something to be for "men only!! wink wink" it draws in that demographic with wide vibrating eyeballs and a twitchy hand on a wallet. I do empathize with your annoyance at sexism in gaming (that sounds insincere somehow but it's not), but on the other hand I wouldn't feel too bad that you're being "excluded" from something designed for stupid people. It's when they lock the women out of the public library that you have to start getting angry.

On the other hand, maybe those sites are for male homosexuals, you know? I'm sure they like massively multiplayer online games too, and who wants a bunch of boring women messing up the vibe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
Gola wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
Okay, now can you believe I have another one that says "Pirates," a game for men only etc. What the...????

You have a guy that uses your computer? (Most specifically, same Windows/Mac/whatever login?)

If so, the ad servers have probably profiled you as a 'male', and so are serving you 'men only' ads because they think you ARE a guy.

If you had been profiled as female, the ads you would be getting would be toned quite a bit differently (IE., 'women only' equivalents).

The logic in how ad servers decide what content to deliver is...complex. But at least part of it is the gender of the person in question (and since there is obviously no 'data mining' of your computer or internet profile or anything like that possible, the only way to build that profile is 'best guess' based on the type of sites visited, search keywords used, etc.)

If you want to try something fun, load up BGG in a browser that has recently had its cookies cleared - you'll see quite a different set of ads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xander- this is my personal device!! No one else uses it! I do clear cookies occasionally, too. I think I will do that right now, thanks to your post. Thanks for your reply, too!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I log out of BGG I often see the "Tynon" ad, which is pretty much the same as "Wartune" (which I've only see once or twice). Once I switch to another page, it usually goes away. I'm sure advertisers have this laptop pegged as owned by a male, so that's the kind of stuff I'm going to see.

Makes me glad I've paid for ad-block so I don't have to see them while I'm here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've of complained about these ads in the past. The response I got from the admins was:

Quote:
Thanks for the message! Yes, we are trying to get these removed, but unfortunately Wartune is using many different methods to avoid being blocked effectively, so it's been an uphill battle. We're doing our best to zap as many as possible!

Admins will be on it soon, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I've of complained about these ads in the past. The response I got from the admins was:

Quote:
Thanks for the message! Yes, we are trying to get these removed, but unfortunately Wartune is using many different methods to avoid being blocked effectively, so it's been an uphill battle. We're doing our best to zap as many as possible!

Admins will be on it soon, I'm sure.

Thanks to you & others for all of the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
kaysewill wrote:
Why does BGG want to have something like this on their site????? I am flabbergasted -- and believe me,it takes a lot to get me to this point.

I've heard people mention these ads, but I've never seen them myself. I've never sold ads to Wartune, so it's definitely something coming through Google Adsense, which fills the unsold inventory that I don't have sold directly to publishers.

Based on URLs that have been provided to me, we've been trying to block them, but they must be using multiple URLs if they're still slipping through.

I apologize for the ads! Adsense (or some form of 3rd party advertising) is a necessary evil, unfortunately, but we're doing the best we can to at least keep them non-offensive.

As for why the ads are likely to appear on BGG, they likely see that BGG is roughly a 95% male audience, which is why Adsense would try to direct this sort of ad to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen L
United States
Grosse Pointe Farms
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the ads can be blocked somehow.
I cleared cookies & still saw them afterward.
Wow, is BGG's audience really 95% male? I'm an anomaly. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
As for why the ads are likely to appear on BGG, they likely see that BGG is roughly a 95% male audience, which is why Adsense would try to direct this sort of ad to BGG.
95%?!?

Wow. That's way more than I expected. I suddenly see those discussions about the W&G forum in very different light. Just Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.