Subject: Designer Diary #1 - Inspiration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz Woźniak
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About two and a half years ago, when I had no games published with my name on it, I had an idea for a game. A fast, easy game, where one player controls a king walking through a medieval city, and the other player leads group of assassins aiming to kill him. I imagined crowded streets of a medieval town: street urchins running around, farmers selling their crops, merchants trading, and so on. On those streets I imagined a king with his guards, walking towards his castle. But someone unsuccessfully tries to kill him, so he orders his guards to move faster towards safety. He is sure that there are other assassins hidden among the crowd, so he must move quickly but also carefully. The setting for the game got me so excited I had to start working on it right away, so I prepared my first prototype.

The game had a small board divided into square spaces - there were buildings and streets on it, and action cards. Each player had his own deck of cards, with various actions to perform. I invited my friend to playtest the game and it was not a good game. I tried to make it simple, interesting and innovative –and failed. The game gave players too little choice, and the mechanics in general didn’t work properly.

Disappointed with my failure, I decided to give up the idea. At that point that decision was driven by my lack of patience and my focus on other projects. As it turned out, the decision was the best one I could make. Idea for a game about king and assassins remained in my mind, but the mechanics came later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea. Can't wait to hear more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(nudge nudge...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Woźniak
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
so just subscribe to the game on BGG, and you will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David T
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Subscribed! Very interested in learning more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mb
Reading about your game makes me think about the king Joffrey... ninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.