Subject: $100 Bucks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
$100 Bucks - come on guys - when are there going to be more reprints? More sales means more profit. A few sales at ridiculous prices means less profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seeing games sell for around $80-100 still so I assume the profit levels are there. Until the game comes back into supply, I don't see the prices coming down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was it selling for (online) when it was in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I KNOW - RIGHT - IT'S LAME.

It's stores like coolstuffinc.com looking to rob us just because the game is not yet back in print

........arrrh................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
I'm seeing games sell for around $80-100 still so I assume the profit levels are there. Until the game comes back into supply, I don't see the prices coming down.

oh yeah - tell us where it's $80 please !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy something, that's one thing.

If they don't, and you pay too much, that's your problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
If someone puts a gun to your head and forces you to buy something, that's one thing.

I don't think a gun is required; I think overpricing for profiteering on necessities (water, medicine, etc.) would still be morally dubious. I agree though that for any luxury good (such as games), the price is fairly what the market will bear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

I don't think a gun is required; I think overpricing for profiteering on necessities (water, medicine, etc.) would still be morally dubious. I agree though that for any luxury good (such as games), the price is fairly what the market will bear.

I wasn't very clear - I meant board games only. I am in agreement with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From another post
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1041903/update-on-z-man-edit...

Seems like the reprint is out mid to late October!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up from Amazon (sold by Amazon) for $66.60. It has been coming in and out of stock for the last week or so. I think it's been out of stock for a day or two now but it may be worth watching if you want the game right now as it could come back in stock briefly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait less than a month when the 2nd wave ships and get it for $55

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is $80, so $100 isn't horrible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can thank ZMan for the ridiculous prices. If they printed more you wouldn't have this problem.

Hopefully they do a new printing sooner than it has taken them to do a reprint for Terra Mystica. Still waiting on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Nothing to do with what the OP is saying. Sometimes bitching about about a distributor's publisher's ineptitude is just bitching about a distributor's publisher's ineptitude, not an attack on capitalism and your values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
You can thank ZMan for the ridiculous prices. If they printed more you wouldn't have this problem.

Hopefully they do a new printing sooner than it has taken them to do a reprint for Terra Mystica. Still waiting on that one.

Yeah, people should complain about the time required to do a reprinting if anything. Or, I guess their marketing/production staff for not anticipating demand accurately.

Secondary markets gauging people on low supply luxury goods is normal. I doubt it's something Z-Man really wants either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in print it sold for between $40 and $65 (USD). Once it goes back in print it will most likely sell for around that again, though there may be a bubble of higher price due to initial demand.

I hope no one buys the game at this higher price as z-man games might get the idea they could sell the game for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
My local store in BE still has 5 in stock. they are the Z-man English edt.
http://spelfanaat.be/webshop.php?s=robinson&x=0&y=0
65€ is not cheap either. about 88US$
I suppose transport will be expensive also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:

Also the local store has multiple terra mystica copies in stock
http://spelfanaat.be/webshop.php?s=terra+mystica&x=20&y=7

I'm not from any company but I know that printing can in some cases be difficult and even more expensive when you need more copies. I don't think many bg-companies (save maybe FFG) or multimiliondollar businesses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing in small quantities can be costly, but with the speed at which RC sold out, I think they'd profit off of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm assuming they don't create the shortage on purpose, it's not Splotter. (I like some splotter games but they are overpriced)

It's not that they get more money for the game either, all the extra greed goes to the reseller prementioned in this thread. (I guess)

So either they gauged the interest in their game wrong or something else is going on/went wrong? Not guilty until proven otherwise. (or is it the other way around in us? )

Also, I believe there is nothing wrong with making money on something but nobody wants to feel be-cheated. And like stated previously here, you don't like the price, then wait some time for the next print. It can only get better, right? (newer rules versions etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
Well, I'm assuming they don't create the shortage on purpose, it's not Splotter. (I like some splotter games but they are overpriced)

It's not that they get more money for the game either, all the extra greed goes to the reseller prementioned in this thread. (I guess)

So either they gauged the interest in their game wrong or something else is going on/went wrong? Not guilty until proven otherwise. (or is it the other way around in us? :D)

Also, I believe there is nothing wrong with making money on something but nobody wants to feel be-cheated. And like stated previously here, you don't like the price, then wait some time for the next print. It can only get better, right? (newer rules versions etc)

I think it's the new philosophy of Z-Man.

It feels like they care more about the bottom line now. Obviously, they would rather sell out quickly compared to having a bunch of copies sit in a warehouse. It's almost like they feel people will still buy it at a later date when it gets reprinted so why not have smaller print runs to reduce risk? I think that's a bad move because it screws the customers and pretty soon you build a bad reputation and some customers are less likely to buy your products.

I completely understand the new philosophy of Z-Man, but I think they are currently missing the mark by a long shot on how conservative they are going with these print runs. TM sold out before it even fulfilled its PREORDERS. It can't get much worse than that. At least Robinson was a bit better.

I hope they continue to get better in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought it last friday (9/20/2013) for $60. It was mislabeled on Amazon as "Robinson Crusoe Adventures on The Cursed Card Game"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKRDMQU/ref=oh_details_o...

Of course, I go to that page now and it is 'unavailable'. I got lucky I suppose :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:

It is clear why Splotter would have conservative print runs. It's the side gig of a couple guys, who decided to cut the middle man and publish their own games. One game every couple years. Splotter's business is making games, not being a publisher.

Z-Man on the other hand are a publisher, and publish numerous games every year. They can take on a lot more risk than Splotter, but even that is not the issue. With games like RC and Terra Mystica not being able to fulfill their preorders it seems like they don't want to take on any risk at all. And in cases like RC and Terra Mystica this hurts them, because they could've been selling copies of their games, not having a few retailers sit on a few overpriced copies for months.

I hope they get better too, but this has been going on for a while. I'd be very surprised if this strategy works out for them in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
lievendp wrote:

It is clear why Splotter would have conservative print runs. It's the side gig of a couple guys, who decided to cut the middle man and publish their own games. One game every couple years. Splotter's business is making games, not being a publisher.

Z-Man on the other hand are a publisher, and publish numerous games every year. They can take on a lot more risk than Splotter, but even that is not the issue. With games like RC and Terra Mystica not being able to fulfill their preorders it seems like they don't want to take on any risk at all. And in cases like RC and Terra Mystica this hurts them, because they could've been selling copies of their games, not having a few retailers sit on a few overpriced copies for months.

I hope they get better too, but this has been going on for a while. I'd be very surprised if this strategy works out for the in them long run.

And the whole "The Palaces of Carrara" z-man debacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
lievendp wrote:

I hope they get better too, but this has been going on for a while. I'd be very surprised if this strategy works out for them in the long run.

I can understand splotter cutting the middle man to get more margin on their games, no issue with that.

But I feel that the result is more or less the same as the market-starvation of zman games: RC and TM.

However, while for splotter this makes them look like good guys and it gives their games some kind of "elite" status, zman is blamed as being scared of riscs. It will cost them some sales yes but I don't think they should be ehrm.. insulted for that, they're no better or worse than Splotter in my opinion.

for the record: I love splotters' "the great zimbabwe" and I like both TM and RC, the (non-)issue is with the production and not the quality of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.