Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright guys, due to some financial obligations that cropped up over night (literally) I am being forced to cut back heavily on my gaming budget (pretty much to zero) for the next 9 months (and no, its not a baby).

Heres the deal: I have $100 in my gaming fund right now for a final purchase (or purchases). As much as I love hex-and-counter games, I am craving something else to break up all the HnC monotony, as thats pretty much all I own. I'm looking for a grand strategy or empire building type game that plays decently with 2 but plays with more. Preferably a pre-modern setting but sci-fi is also ok. A beautiful map would be nice. I need a game thats going to make me not want to buy another game for a long while (a tall order, I know). Something thats not too complex so maybe I can rope some friends in. I'd like it to be a monster in scale but not size. Im going to be playing mostly solo so most CDGs are out but I have been really inspired by calandale and am ready to take on some multiplayer diplomacy games solo (it just looks so fun in his videos!). I am willing to drop all $100 on a single game if its gonna be worth it.

If you dont know of any games that fit those guidelines, take a look at my collection and tell me what game(s) I NEED to own.

If you're too lazy to look at my collection, tell me what game(s) would YOU get if you could purchase no more for 9 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I am leaning towards Empires of the Middle Ages, Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), High Frontier, and Civilization.

I am also looking at Silent War but Im just not that into naval combat. Convince me why I should get it anyway.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to be dry that long I'd try to hold on to the money as long as possible before making a decision. Also if you don't already go through your collection and see if there is stuff you can trade away. I often find trading a game is as satisfying to the acquisition itch as buying a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
If you are going to be dry that long I'd try to hold on to the money as long as possible before making a decision. Also if you don't already go through your collection and see if there is stuff you can trade away. I often find trading a game is as satisfying to the acquisition itch as buying a new game.

Im definitely going to be hanging onto the money for as long as possible. Im just getting some recommendations going now. Ive got stuff for trade but I might just auction them all off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
stemcider wrote:

Out of the bunch, High Frontier is probably the one which works best in two.
EotM will give the longest single play period.

One option you may want to consider is Age of Renaissance,
which feels rather civ-like, but scales better in low numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Right now I am leaning towards Empires of the Middle Ages, Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), High Frontier, and Civilization.

I am also looking at Silent War but Im just not that into naval combat. Convince me why I should get it anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Silent War is a snooze fest. High Frontier - highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the 'don't rush in' side. You got plenty of unplayed games. I saw your Victory Games list: The Civil War, the Korean War, and Vietnam will eat up most of those 9 months alone.

Then when that really big game comes along, you are ready with the money.

In the meantime, try to limit yourself to 2nd hand stores and trades (get rid of games that you don't think you'll ever play again). Unless a game just went out of print, chances are, if you are patient, you can get it for a good price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kenosha_kid wrote:

LotSM has pretty much been deprecated by Pax Porfiriana.

This is the one I most disagree with. The Lords system provides an
experience that there is no way a card game can. It ain't something
I'd suggest for what the OP asked, but even thought the topic is the
same, one plays like a wargame (sorta) and the other more like a game
of Illuminati.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
As much as I love Sierra Madre games, I wouldn't go with HF or LotSM given your constraints. (edit - see my other comment about HF three posts below)

LotSM has pretty much been deprecated by Pax Porfiriana.

High Frontier is a great game, but I don't think it has the replayability you're looking for. After about a dozen plays or so it starts to feel 'solved', if not a bit samey.

Frankly, if you're going to go for a meaty Sierra Madre game, I'd instead pick Origins: How We Became Human and the Era IV expansion if you can find them. A shockingly good game that plays very differently each time and plays well solo or multiplayer. I know Enrico will disagree with me vociferously on this one, but there you have it.

Pax is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I'm with the 'don't rush in' side. You got plenty of unplayed games. I saw your Victory Games list: The Civil War, the Korean War, and Vietnam will eat up most of those 9 months alone.

Then when that really big game comes along, you are ready with the money.

In the meantime, try to limit yourself to 2nd hand stores and trades (get rid of games that you don't think you'll ever play again). Unless a game just went out of print, chances are, if you are patient, you can get it for a good price.

This is the plan. I'm definitely in no rush (as much as I love [am addicted to] buying games). I want to know what game(s) will scratch that itch, do the research on the games, and know what I want so that when a deal comes up here or elsewhere I can swoop on it.

I'm sure trying to figure out how to play Fields of Fire would take me 9 months
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
stemcider wrote:

Out of the bunch, High Frontier is probably the one which works best in two.
EotM will give the longest single play period.

One option you may want to consider is Age of Renaissance,
which feels rather civ-like, but scales better in low numbers.

AoR looks great. Nice map. I'll look more into it.

HF has been on my want list for a while now. With the new expansion just coming out its pretty hard to resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenosha_kid wrote:
High Frontier with the expanded map might indeed fit the bill. That might just provided the extra playability you're looking for.

Does anyone know if the expanded map now ships with the latest printing? I have the first printing and had to buy the expanded map (and first expansion) separately.

If the latest printing has all the above goodies in one package, it's worth picking up.

Damn. Now I want to play High Frontier again.

I believe the new expansion (Colonization) has the 1st expansion included. And the 2nd Edition/1st Printing in combination with Colonization has everything you need for the solitaire rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stemcider wrote:

HF has been on my want list for a while now. With the new expansion just coming out its pretty hard to resist.

Just got it in the mail today. It gives rules for the big poster map
I have (which otherwise mainly would go to waste), and contains the
board locations on its own (though they look very tight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
stemcider wrote:

and contains the

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
kenosha_kid wrote:
High Frontier with the expanded map might indeed fit the bill. That might just provided the extra playability you're looking for.

Does anyone know if the expanded map now ships with the latest printing? I have the first printing and had to buy the expanded map (and first expansion) separately.

If the latest printing has all the above goodies in one package, it's worth picking up.

I believe the new expansion (Colonization) has the 1st expansion included. And the 2nd Edition/1st Printing in combination with Colonization has everything you need for the solitaire rules.

I think you also need to get the 'Interstellar' map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xmfcnrx wrote:
stemcider wrote:
kenosha_kid wrote:

I think you also need to get the 'Interstellar' map.

Ah I see. I missed that part. I would probably just play multiple sides anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
stemcider wrote:
calandale wrote:
stemcider wrote:

and contains the

The expansion board is really small - all of the prior expansion and
the outer planets on something the size of the first expansion.

It looks like it's playable, but it would be cramped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
stemcider wrote:
calandale wrote:
stemcider wrote:

and contains the

The expansion board is really small - all of the prior expansion and
the outer planets on something the size of the first expansion.

It looks like it's playable, but it would be cramped.

Ok got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
You got plenty of unplayed games. I saw your Victory Games list: The Civil War, the Korean War, and Vietnam will eat up most of those 9 months alone.

Darn right! The Civil War is a nice solitaire experience. Go VG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
airjudden wrote:
You got plenty of unplayed games. I saw your Victory Games list: The Civil War, the Korean War, and Vietnam will eat up most of those 9 months alone.

Darn right! The Civil War is a nice solitaire experience. Go VG!

'Nam could probably do the nine mos. all by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.