Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Stanley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know the two games are completely different, but I was wondering whether anyone here had both, and wanted to offer any advice about which one they find more enjoyable/realistic etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on what you want to do. Fleet Captains corresponds to a season of television across several ships with different encounters, experiences, and crews. You get more of an adventurous experience out of Fleet Captains.

Attack Wing is a skimsih scenario, putting more focus on tactical moving and individual ships with more crewmen attached.

Putting it succinctly, I'd say Attack Wing is for tactical battles with single stories but Fleet Captains is more about adventure and the bigger picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet Captains is Star Trek. It deals with the random encounters, the occasional battle, but most importantly it accounts for a lot of the challenges the crew goes through.

Attack Wing is a great representation of the battles that happened in Star Trek. I kinda feel like I'm in the Dominion War or the different missions when I play those things.

It really depends on what experience you want to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: Play ST Fleet and when it comes time to do battle, switch over to Attack Wing with those ships and decide the outcome. Then switch back to Fleet and continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Besides what has been said, you can win at Fleet Captains and never fire a shot. Attack wing is all about the campaign. I like both, FC for just me and my friends and AW when you want to compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stocks
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsh4u2 wrote:
Idea: Play ST Fleet and when it comes time to do battle, switch over to Attack Wing with those ships and decide the outcome. Then switch back to Fleet and continue.

I've been thinking about this ever since I saw Attack Wing, balancing would be a nightmare though. Perhaps Wizkids has already thought of this though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alton Todd
United States
Ramona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robstanley1 wrote:
I know the two games are completely different, but I was wondering whether anyone here had both, and wanted to offer any advice about which one they find more enjoyable/realistic etc.?

Both are enjoyable and realistic. I have played both and decided to buy ST:AW. It has seen a lot more table time and it's so dag gone fun to play. I will play FC when it comes to the game table. However for my gaming bucks ST:AW is the go to Star Trek game.

BTW I also have played SW:X Wing and to be honest I enjoyed it, but sometimes it just gives me a headache and I'm glad to see the game come to an end.

With ST:AW I want to play to the bitter end and then do it again.

Beam me up for Star Trek: Attack Wing anytime baby!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stanley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very many thanks for all of the input, folks.

Fleet Captains is still quite a chuck of money (I know I'll spend just as much, if not more, with AW long-term, but at least it's not 'blind', in one go!)

Thanks to Alton's post, I'm convinced to go with Attack Wing; I may well still keep FC on the back-burner, but will most likely wait until I get find a pre-owned copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robstanley1 wrote:

I have both. Attack Wing is the one I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Tactics, Fleet Captains, and now Attack Wing.

Fleet Captains feels more like an evening of role playing than anything. Your ships explore new territories and you hope the next hex of space you flip over will be something your ships can handle. You also hope that the next hex of space your opponent's ships flip over will be something your opponent cannot handle or will trigger an encounter that her or his ships cannot handle.

Sometimes there's great combat. I almost annihilated every ship in my brother's Romulan fleet but while we were pounding each other to scrap our friend Dan won on victory points from completing missions and building starbases. My Klingons were impressed but not happy. Still, great game. Loads of fun.

Often, very little combat and more of a fun evening of fun exploring space, completing missions, building starbases, and defeating encounters. The encounters themselves can be pretty fun too. Lots of suspense in the game. I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woloszyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone tell about the diffrence in size of the minis in the FC and AW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Gash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
jwm00 wrote:
Can anyone tell about the diffrence in size of the minis in the FC and AW?

They're exactly the same models. (D7 and possibly Defiant excepted. Same size though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woloszyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So i will buy FC & AW starter, then print cards. Need only to magnetize bases or something... There are 24 ships in FC so price isn't that high...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
jwm00 wrote:
Thanks. So i will buy FC & AW starter, then print cards. Need only to magnetize bases or something... There are 24 ships in FC so price isn't that high...

FC round bases have less diameter than AW so they would move somewhat slower if used in AW. They would still work though, especially if used against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woloszyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the size of bases is important in FC? If not, i can glue a base from cardboard or something in size from AW under it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
The bases have no gameplay bearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.