2 Posts

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey» Forums » General

Subject: The Hobbit vs The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
I am going to cross post this in the other forum as well...

I went to buy The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and got confused and picked up The Hobbit instead. Both are from the same designer Reiner Knizia and both have that kind of thin board used in Lord of the Rings.

I wanted to get The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey as I LOVE Lord of the Rings and the Dice Tower Review made it sound like a spiritual successor to that game but focusing on dice chucking instead of hand management, like the original. Dice chucking is always fun, I love Ghost Stories and Elder Sign

I can not return the game as I got it form a online store and I didn't realize it wasn't the same game until after I punched all the chitz.

So the question is... do I try nd sell it or give it away and get the other game.. or should I keep this and forget the other, or get both?

What is the real differences and witch one do you guys think is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I also post my answer to both forums

None of them are amongst the greatest Knizias but both are fine. The Hobbit is more of a family game or a game to be played with non-gamers. The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey is a true cooperative game which might or might not feel less thematic - it's really about rolling the symbols required. It's pretty much like Elder Sign, a game that you do own (and which has "original dice game mechanism: Reiner Knizia" written in the rules), while probably it's going to feel a bit less thematic to you.

Both games have the special dice and the need to roll what an adventure needs, and in both you get some extra help from the dwarves but the basic mechanism is quite different in the two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.