Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm currently listening to Roger Crowley's Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World.

The part about the siege of Malta has been absolutely gripping, and naturally, I started wondering what sorts of games might be out there. It looks like there aren't many. I was only able to find Knights of Justice: The Siege of Malta, 1565.

There's plenty of WWII stuff on Malta, though!

Is anyone familiar with any other 1565 siege of Malta games? Any comments on Knights of Justice, from those who are familiar with it? Is it worth a look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with a game suggestion but if you want to read more Ernle Bradford's 'The Great Siege' (1961) is a great little book..Bradford was a British historian who dealt mainly with naval topics and had a special interest in the Mediterranean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Potemkin
Germany
M√ľnster
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Wherever I stand I stand with Israel
mbmbmb
I think there was a free print and play game about this topic from the german society for historical simulations (GHS). It was on their website but i can't find ot anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea about a game, but wanted to second your praise for the book. Really good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that book last year and was very impressed. The story about the Knights suddenly finding the fresh water spring in the basement of one of the buildings sticks out in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop that! Stop that! I have a stack of books already to read. I do not need...stop...noooooooo!

*click*

This is sort of crack for history buffs. "Last night I did a line of the Middle Ages. I was seriously doing some Malta."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
Any comments on Knights of Justice, from those who are familiar with it? Is it worth a look?

Decent little game IIRC - the mag also had some background articles on the siege. One of the better 3W games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Cierpicki
Malta
Gharb
Gozo
flag msg tools
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges . . .
badge
Hey, stop tickling me with your cursor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Knights of Justice several times when it was first issued and agree with Eddy that it's a decent little game. I have since spent an increasing amount of time each year in Malta and have walked many of the places that featured in the siege - Malta is a living museum and surely the best place on the planet to study the art of fortifications through the ages.

I don't know of any other games on the siege, but it's a fascinating subject, worthy of a new treatment. I would be the first in line if such a game were to be published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
I would agree that Knights of Justice is one of the better magazine games that 3W put out. It's can be rather frustrating to play the Turks, though. Also has one of the better looking maps I've seen.

Also agree - superior for a subscription game, but I think the Knights are a little better than the Turks.

The article is really good also, as it explains issues like the ground on Malta was too hard for tunneling operations and that had a very large impact on the seige, realtive to most medieval seiges. Anyway, it really helps understand how the tiny garrison withstood the overwhelming Ottoman power at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations on Knights of Justice. I was able to find a copy on eBay for $7. Look forward to trying it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Ernle Bradford's 'The Great Siege' (1961) is a great little book..Bradford was a British historian who dealt mainly with naval topics and had a special interest in the Mediterranean

Could not agree more - one of my favorite books of all time. Bradford cut his teeth as a Navigator on a Royal Navy destroyer in the Med in WWII. His first glimpse of Malta was sailing into Valetta harbor on a warship. His wartime experience moved him so profoundly that he spent the rest of his life sailing the Middle Sea and writing gripping histories with distinctly Mediterranean and nautical themes - on Ulysses, Cleopatra, the sack of Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade, and Thermopylae, among others.

In my next life, I want to come back as Ernle Bradford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pino
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Its so cool you mentioned this, I was just looking over the last month for the same thing, and purchased Knights from a seller here. I love the map.

I would add to my recommendation for the The Great Siege. Great book.

I had also read a fictional novel called Knights of Iron, by Nicholas Prata. A little heavy handed on the catholic knights bit but still a good read if you are interested in the siege.

This battle needs a new game, and I wish I had the design chops to design it. I do think of it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
navigator37 wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Ernle Bradford's 'The Great Siege' (1961) is a great little book..Bradford was a British historian who dealt mainly with naval topics and had a special interest in the Mediterranean

Could not agree more - one of my favorite books of all time. Bradford cut his teeth as a Navigator on a Royal Navy destroyer in the Med in WWII. His first glimpse of Malta was sailing into Valetta harbor on a warship. His wartime experience moved him so profoundly that he spent the rest of his life sailing the Middle Sea and writing gripping histories with distinctly Mediterranean and nautical themes - on Ulysses, Cleopatra, the sack of Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade, and Thermopylae, among others.

One of the things that really comes through in the book was though the heavily armoured Knights were the hard fists of the defence the backbone was the local Maltese themselves..the same in World War II..a resiliant people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His book on Hannibal is amazing as well. Lots of fun to read, and very engaging. One of my favorite books, actually.

navigator37 wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Synchronicity or such : this month's (October) issue of Miniature Wargames has an article on the siege and how to wargame it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted an AAR of my playthrough of the The Battle of Lepanto...

Showdown in the Ionian Sea - October 7, 1571

I received my copy of Knights of Justice: The Siege of Malta, 1565 and have that all punched, clipped and ready to go. I plan to set it up at the club tomorrow and do an AAR of that when finished as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also now have posted the first of (hopefully more) DAR videos for Knights of Justice: The Siege of Malta, 1565. I'll probably hit this about once a week, as I have it set up at my club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.