Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Dominion War Month 1 – My Experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Meilleur
msg tools
We played our Month 1 event at my local gaming store last week-end (GamersVault in Montréal) and I must say I really enjoyed the experience! Everybody I played against were good opponents and everybody had fun! There were a total of eight players (for a new game is pretty good!!!) which is great since there were no byes so everybody got a chance to play 3 games.
Before anything else, let me just list what my Squad build was:

1- U.S.S. Enterprise-D 28pts
Jean-Luc Picard 6pts
Montgomery Scott 5pts
Hikaru Sulu 3pts
Counter Attack 4pts
Total: 46pts

2- U.S.S. Enterprise 22pts
Christopher Pike 4pts
Parem 1pt
Klag 1pt
Miles O’Brien 1pt
Total: 29pts

3- U.S.S. Reliant 20pts
Donatra 5pts
Total: 25pts

Total Squad: 100pts

As most of you can see, my TANK/Battleship was the Enterprise-D…and I did get a few times where I got to shoot 8 dice at an enemy ship. After having play tested the scenario before the event, I realized that controlling DS9 could be very powerful, so that was Pike’s job with his Crew the only one that might (depending on the game) stay on the ship was O’Brian if I was to face a Muon or Energy Dissipator. The Reliant was there to support my Enterprise-D and hopefully absorb some hits.

Game 1

My first opponent played an awesome squad, he had Enterprise-D with Picard, supported by Donatra in the Kraxon which had Counter Attack on it (the ship has a 180’ Fire Arc by the way). He also had the Apnex with a Capt skill 1 and 2 Crew. Things did not go well for me. I got Pike on the Station with his Crew and kept O’Brien for the Muon token. Then set up my 2 ships to face his. In return, he put his Apnex Captain & Crew on the Station and set-up his attack line.
On the Station, I should have killed him in one turn, but rolled 2 Crits and a Hit (only hits count, not Crits) he failed his save and I made mine when he returned fire. However we played the scenario wrong and did not fire the station since we were both on it (should have fired at his Apnex which was not cloaked). The rest saw my ships falling in combat one after the other, he used his Apnex’s special ability hitting my Reliant, Enterprise and the Station. Then he managed 6 hits and 1 crit out of 8 dice on my Enterprise-D. After a few more turns, my first game became a loss and I got 0 kill points.

Game 2

Second game I faced Mike, who played a Fluffy 2-ship build using Enterprise-D & Picard and the Enterprise & Kirk well supported. The game went well for me, I sent Pike and all his Crew on the Station placed my 2 other ships to target his. Then he surprised me and beamed down Kirk with the 2 crew he had from the Enterprise on DS9. I was really surprised as I had 4 men on the station, and by doing this he lost a great Captain Skill. I ended up making quick work of his 2 ships using the fact that I could focus fire on one. So I won my second game and got 100 kill points (No Station).

Game 3

At this point 2 players had to drop out because our event had started late (there was a Magic release event at the same time as us which caused a delay to our set-up). This is unfortunate as my 1st opponent was leading the event with 2 Wins 0 Losses and both wins with 100 kill points. My 3rd game was an easy win, I played against the store owner who had stayed up all night for the store’s midnight release of Magic. He also had a fun fluffy squad, his highest Captain Skill was Koloth at 7…but he was on a D7 with Tribbles. Having no Cloaking device and I didn’t want to deal with the Tribbles so that ship quickly became my 1st target! I then focus fired his 2 other ships also using the station. He also had a lot of activation problems, playin’ bumper cars with his ships. I won game 3 and got 110 kill points (bonus for controlling the station)

Game 4

This was a 3 game event but Carl (the EO) and I were both tied for 1st place, so instead of deciding the winner by a roll-off… we opted to play an extra game! Carl and I had tested the event together so I knew this was not gonna be an easy game! I also had a good idea of how he was gonna play his squad. He had a Breen ship with the Energy Dissipator, the Kraxon backing it up and used the Khazara with Toreth and 2 crew to beam on the station. Play began with our 2 ships bolting for the Station and our others setting up for battle. We both beamed down our crews to the station and then the station fired at my Enterprise (which had its shields down) and destroyed it outright!!! So early game I was short 1 ship! The next turn he focused his fire on my support ship (Reliant) which quickly exploded. So it was my Enterprise-D vs all of his 3 ships, mind you some had taken damage. I then used the Enterprise-D’s great speed and made use of Sulu and Scotty (repair Shields) to stay alive, and get close to the station which after 2 rounds of fighting I had control. My Enterprise-D then maybe touched the edge of the board…usually that means out of the game…however since this was anticlimactic and our 3’ x 3’ mats where hand made using tape on a larger surface, we figured maybe the boards weren’t perfect. We decided to fudge this a bit and let my ship play on…then using defensive actions/moves I managed to bring his Khazara and Breen near the Station and destroyed them both!!! One was in range to be shot by a Pylon and the Center of the Station so took 2 volleys of 5 dice!!!! Then it was my Enterprise-D vs a damaged Kraxon…it took me a turn to take care of that and take 1st place!!!

All-in-all, it was great fun! I did not expect winning this event especially after my 1st game where I felt totally out of it! If you haven’t played it yet, let me tell you, remember controlling DS9 can win you the game…it’s really worth it! I also was happy to see there were plenty of builds, very different squads one to the next. Thank you GamersVault! I can’t wait for month 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report Daniel. It was fun playing you in the first round, although having to miss the last round when in the lead because the tournament started more than an hour and a half late did leave me with a sour taste.

I'm happy that if I couldn't win it, you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
Fantastic that you won. Am I missing something though? Did you pay the +1s on all those off faction crew? I think your list is actually over the max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Love to hear how the events went.

gordash wrote:
Fantastic that you won. Am I missing something though? Did you pay the +1s on all those off faction crew? I think your list is actually over the max.

hmmmmmm. That does seem to come to 101 pts (didn't pay the +1 for Donatra.....and taking in the Pike discount on his ship).

Is that the team played?

Edit: I found the mistake.....

1- U.S.S. Enterprise-D 28pts
Jean-Luc Picard 6pts
Montgomery Scott 5pts
Hikaru Sulu 3pts
Counter Attack 4pts
Total: 46pts

2- U.S.S. Enterprise 22pts
Christopher Pike 4pts
Parem 1pt
Klag 1pt
Miles O’Brien 2pt (1 pt)
Total: 30pts

3- U.S.S. Reliant 20pts
Donatra 4pts (5 pt)
Total: 24pts

Total Squad: 100pts

Just a pair of typos.....still 100 pts. All is well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Meilleur
msg tools
Thanks Jean-Luc,

Hope you can make it on the 20th for the month 2 event!! It was fun meeting you and I'm up for a rematch! You had a great Squad and are a great player!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Meilleur
msg tools
Yep, sorry guys...it's all typos, I did pay the penalty for Donatra and you're right about the Pike discount I had that included...

I was tired when I put this up on BBG...I just fixed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.