Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: How do you guys play Harsk's ranger ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how other people play Harsk (or any card that lets you)when he is able to examine the top card of the location deck at the end of his turn. Do you announce and show to the whole group, only show to the person in the same location, or something inbetween like "There is something there a Warrior would like..."

Just curious...

ALSO, the rules state that after defeating the henchmen you should examine the deck to make sure there are no villains present... even if you KNOW there is only one villain. And in Rodney Smith's video where the developers played, they alluded to the fact that even though they knew there was no villain in the deck, "It's just a good idea to check".

This would be a way for a player to see if there is anything else good at the location that should be searched for, even after the location is closed... seems borderline unfair. Interested in how people play that as well.

Not asking for rule clarification (wrong forum), just asking how YOU play.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first, it's a cooperative game with no restrictions on sharing known information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
This would be a way for a player to see if there is anything else good at the location that should be searched for, even after the location is closed... seems borderline unfair. Interested in how people play that as well.

If you've closed the location, there won't be any cards left there (they all get banished), so looking at them doesn't help you at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
dkyzar wrote:

If you've closed the location, there won't be any cards left there (they all get banished), so looking at them doesn't help you at all.

That's just for villains, not henchmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
medwards wrote:
dkyzar wrote:

Not so. Rulebook, page 13:
Quote:
If you succeed at meeting the “When Closing” requirement,
search through the location deck, take out the villain if it is there,
and banish the rest of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
dkyzar wrote:
medwards wrote:
dkyzar wrote:

Quote:

Exactly, take out the villain if he is there and banish the rest of the cards.

Read the last line in that section...
Characters may move to the closed locations, and, if there are cards there, may explore and encounter those cards as normal."

If you have been banishing location cards that only have the henchmen in them, you have been playing incorrectly.

Man, this thread went over like a lead zeppelin. Was hoping it would be a light hearted discussion about theme and role-playing... instead it's a rules explanation (didn't need it) and people thumbing wrong information. Nothing else to see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Knodel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Sorry friend, you have been playing it wrong. If you close a location for any reason, you flip the location over and banish all the cards.

No wonder so many people are complaining that this game is too easy, many many are playing it wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:

Quote:

Exactly, take out the villain if he is there and banish the rest of the cards.

Incorrect reading of the if/then statement.

Your reading would be supported by, "If the villain is there, banish it and the rest of the cards."

Both "take out the villain if it is there" and "banish the rest of the cards" are dependent on the "If you [close the location]" clause. "Banish the rest of the cards" does not care about the truth value of "if [the villain] is there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrovar wrote:
Sorry friend, you have been playing it wrong. If you close a location for any reason, you flip the location over and banish all the cards.

No wonder so many people are complaining that this game is too easy, many many are playing it wrong...

It's ok pal.
Just point out where it says to banish cards here in the same section on page 13.

"If you don’t find the villain,perform the “When Permanently Closed” effect and flip the location card over. The location stays closed for the rest of the scenario, so the villain may not escape to that location (see Encountering a Villain on page 18). Characters may move to closed locations and, if there are cards there, may explore and encounter those cards as normal."

It only says the banish the cards when you defeat/find the VILLAIN!
Why would you be able to explore a closed location as normal if you banished every time?
*drops mic*
I suppose you can play how you think it should be played, that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to respond to the OP, I'm fond of just flipping the card over for all to see; being a cooperative game and all, I see no reason for the Harsk player to try and keep it all straight in his head what is where. Flip it, ooh and ahh over it and back to more adventure!

Though admittedly making Harsk's player try to remember could lead to some entertaining situations; "Oh yeah, its safe to explore there...I think...um or was that there?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom is correct. You take the villain out if it is there, then banish the cards whether you found it or not. It does not say if you do not find a villain, do not banish them. It it just telling you to check to make sure the villain is not in the deck before you banish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that has already happened in a 4 player game... I forgot that I had examined it and by the time it came around to me, I forgot what it was. So yeah, we started leaving them face up after a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Terrovar wrote:

It's ok pal.
Just point out where it says to banish cards here in the same section on page 13.

"If you don’t find the villain,perform the “When Permanently Closed” effect and flip the location card over. The location stays closed for the rest of the scenario, so the villain may not escape to that location (see Encountering a Villain on page 18). Characters may move to closed locations and, if there are cards there, may explore and encounter those cards as normal."

It only says the banish the cards when you defeat/find the VILLAIN!
Why would you be able to explore a closed location as normal if you banished every time?
*drops mic*
I suppose you can play how you think it should be played, that's fine.

That is for the locations, such as the General Store, that add cards to the location after you have closed and banished the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
Tom is correct. You take the villain out if it is there, then banish the cards whether you found it or not. It does not say if you do not find a villain, do not banish them. It it just telling you to check to make sure the villain is not in the deck before you banish it.

Well then I guess I am confused as to why I would be able to adventure to a closed location, and if there are cards there explore normally. For some other future effect that can move location cards?

Edit : Ninja'd in the explanation.

My sincere apologies to M, Tom and Scott for being rude and dismissive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait what?

The rules clearly state when you close a location, you examine the deck and banish all the cards remaining. However, if the villain Escaped to that location from a previous encounter, then you keep him in that location, and the villain becomes the location. All other cards are STILL banished.

There are no other cards at that location, just the villain, which allows the players to close the other locations, or move to them to do the temp close.

Also, on Harsk's ability. This is a co-op game, you would likely want to show your group what's at your location to help everyone out. Eg. If the next card in the deck is a spell, Ezren would want to know so he could quickly jump over there on his turn and grab that spell so Harsk doesn't lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's clear. I was playing it wrong.
I feel suitably stoopid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question, in the games we have played so far, we just have Harsk's player reveal the card to everyone. If the others are close enough for him to fire into their combat, he should be close enough to yell to them what he has found, right? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple villains in some scenarios, that's why they want you to get used to always checking for villains. That also means it's going to be possible to have more than one villain at any location.

Also, it's quite possible to find/defeat a henchman, and if your successful with your one chance closing the location, you check to see if the Villain is there. If it is there, it's considered the only card at that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We share the info. If I forget to do it or forget what was there I sneak another peak at the start of my turn.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not telling what Harsk sees if he peeks. And when we use a Spyglass we don't tell either. Or any other similar instance.

I should probably explain this a bit better though. If it really matters, then we might tell. Basically, we aren't interested in anything that makes this game easier. That's not the game of Pathfinder we want to play because we haven't ever lost a scenario. However, if Harsk were to peek and somebody else was considering exploring at his location, then he'd probably warn them that they had better be ready for a fight if they do, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I mostly play with people who aren't heavy RPG/Boardgamers we just flip the card over (and leave it flipped over.
Did play so it was just a peek at first, but not all the players have that good a memory for abilities etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
anoirtrou wrote:

Well then I guess I am confused as to why I would be able to adventure to a closed location, and if there are cards there explore normally. For some other future effect that can move location cards?

Some locations when closed will tell you to roll a die and add x# of boons to the closed location, so then you could go to this closed location and explore normally to try and acquire the boons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to role play it a little. Our Harsk player peeked at a card, then said to me (the Rogue), "I need your help over here." "Did you find a barrier?", I asked. "Yes."

This approach ups the player interaction a little, and makes the game feel less mechanical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:

*drops mic*

*picks the mic up and points out that some locations such as the general store add cards to them after you close them*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Yep, it's clear. I was playing it wrong.
I feel suitably stoopid.

Especially as you were so humble in the way you dismissed people's information...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.