Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Fight for the Hegemony rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been my first game of Polis.

We sorted sides and I obtained the blue proxenos, I'd be Athens.

As Athens, my aim, from the beginning was to create a powerful navy and commercial fleet.

The first turn we danced around, a little unsure on what to do. We were positively stuck with Prestige which seemed to be always too little. We fenced without battling but manoeuvring for the 4th turn. Sparta created a mighty Temple in the Capital, while Athens was enlightened by the work of Protagoras.

Turn 4 opened with a navy build up on both sides. Sparta wanted to force its way to the markets in the east and to threaten Ionia, while it was experiencing a disastrous campaign in Sicily.

As Athens I accepted the summons for battle and screamed to my men to row faster, the rams cleaved the water and they slammed into the red clad fleet. Many Spartan ships broke in two and plunged to the bottom of Okeanos, into the watery court of Poseidon.

With that major battle won, Athens could choke the spartiates' claim on the eastern seas. Athens was also able to enter Corith, besiege it and conquer it, while Sparta was fighting many turns to conquer Gela, with no success.

The red Proxenos darted in the north, on board of a light boat, and under cover of darkness crossed many leagues, in his hands scrolls with words of promise and threat. The cities in the north started taking sides. Athens replied with a contingent of crazed hoplites which torched the cities after a brief siege. The Spartan Proxenos was captured!

A large land battle was fought in front of Corinth, the city was besieged and taken. Now Sparta had a means to access both seas, but the city was deserted...

In the final turns Athen was able to completely choke Sparta's markets, while creating an impressive mercantile fleet of its own. And even after a disastrous Athenian sea venture, where its sea hegemony was finally broken, Sparta hadn't built many commercial ties with the barbaric markets of the east, as a result of a long time of isolation.

Thus Athens was able to attract Socrates and create a Temple in Thebes (of course after besieging it and re-capturing the just liberated Spartan Proxenos!).

Massive battles reduced both countries to ashes and charred bones. But while Sparta had the bare minimum to survive, Athens grew its population nearly to the maximum.

With the final tally of the points it was 47 to 33 for Athens.

Athenian Major Victory! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up of a very good game. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Herzog
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:

Great report! But I think it was the last time, that you score over 40. In later match with a experienced opponent you have no chance to make more than 40 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
360_Piranha wrote:
Gorgoneion wrote:

Great report! But I think it was the last time, that you score over 40. In later match with a experienced opponent you have no chance to make more than 40 points.

I bet.

We'll see in the next games.

Have to say, it has been a while that I played a game that felt this strategic. The only thing that my opponent didn't like, which I thought quite thematic, were the combat cards. He said that they don't give you the feeling of tactics, but maybe it is us that we don't have a clue on how to build a strategy on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
The only thing that my opponent didn't like, which I thought quite thematic, were the combat cards.

I like the combat system. With all the mind blowing decisions you have to do on every turn, a simple combat systems is quite welcomed, also I feel is gives some tension selecting what to play now and what to hold for next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.