Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Here's a hobby that looks interesting: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb

The opening banner says "Polish League Knights Fighting".

If the SCA had this kind of battles, instead of using "boffers" and wooden swords, I'd be much more interested in joining.

This looks more like what real Medieval combat was like, not what we usually see in the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

I've seen this before. Also, each spectator gets his own roast chicken, all you can drink Pepsi, and you're encouraged to throw the chicken bones on the floor. Way cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in!
Let me start my list.
1. Get armor, not the cheap stuff.
2. Get a sword.
3. Go to library, and get "Sword Fighting for Dummies"
4. Up the insurance.
5. Purchase tickets for Poland.
6. Request off from the grind for spiritual reasons.
I should be set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
After showing the first video to my wife, this second video popped up, and it turns out this is a professional league, with arranged bouts. So it's not as rough-and-tumble as the promo above made it look. Although, I suspect the melee bouts are pretty wild.

I'd much rather watch this than pro wrestling any day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmzero wrote:
But someone's going to lose an eye (or more) if this becomes popular.

At least no one's using a Daisy "Red Ryder" BB gun. Someone would get an eye put out for sure.

(Edited to fix trademarked spelling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
jmzero wrote:
But someone's going to lose an eye (or more) if this becomes popular.

At least no one's using a Daisy "Red Rider" BB gun. Someone would get an eye put out for sure.

"Red Ryder", thankyouverymuch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I know there's a joke in here somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The swords definitely have no points, and I don't think they have edges. (Look at the near-still shots at the beginning.) This is just boffing with heavier gear. They're way too close: it's a pushing and banging match, not a sword fight. A lot of these guys would be impaled with a stop thrust before getting in that close.

But if you like it, enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they're Polish.

How else would they get their suits so shiny?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boring,snoresnoresnore that looks far too safe. How about getting into a truly manly sport.

Like AUTO POLO

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=auto+polo&tbm=isch&tbo=u&s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
The swords definitely have no points, and I don't think they have edges. (Look at the near-still shots at the beginning.) This is just boffing with heavier gear. They're way too close: it's a pushing and banging match, not a sword fight. A lot of these guys would be impaled with a stop thrust before getting in that close.

They are blunted tourney blades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, more likely to have some broken bones, which I think is what happened in tourneys during the Renaissance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

They are blunted tourney blades.

I'm sure. A comment upthread suggested it was more realistic than the movies. To be sure, it lacks much of the totally silly cinematic moves (not all), but it's not as good as a movie trying to portray combat realistically--though that hardly happens in modern movies. And the engagement distance is just way too close: it gives up the leverage of the sword and its point; though as we've agreed, these swords are pointless. So to speak.

But it looks like a great way to burn off extra energy and aggression, and get concussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
If the SCA had this kind of battles, instead of using "boffers" and wooden swords, I'd be much more interested in joining.

I totally hear where you are coming from on that, and I do agree, it looks much nicer.

Still, I've had plenty of injuries just doing SCA fighting with the rattan weapons. I think I'd pass on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Of course they're Polish.

How else would they get their suits so shiny?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.