Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I plan on combining these two challenges the first time I get this expansion, as a way of getting a basic handle on how the lab works before foisting it on other people. From my understanding of the rules, I would use all of the roles except for Dispatcher, Epidemiologist, Field Operative, Local Liaison, and Researcher.

I understand that the Epidemiologist, Local Liaison, and Researcher are removed from the solo game because there is no Share Knowledge in the solo game, making these roles the equivalent of laymen. (I actually like these kinds of roles as in Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Forbidden Desert, where everyone is mostly alike except for a few differences as noted on the role card, more than the complex stat-based ones in other co-ops, but I digress.) However, in the Lab challenge, they have the ability to perform various Lab actions as free bonus actions (to compensate for the reduced importance of sharing cards), making their removal seem less necessary. However, I do recall something the game designer said about why Hidden Pocket is removed from the Team Game:

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Hidden Pocket was excluded from the Team Game for similar reasons. I actually wrote up the extra rules to make HP work in the Team Game. It was one long, ugly, paragraph, even as a rules sidebar note. Matt took one look at it and told me, "Get rid of it." I agreed.

Re: Curious about Field Operative exclusion

Lehmann and Leacock are great game designers; I assume it occurred to them to consider using the Epidemiologist, Local Liaison, and Researcher in the solo Lab challenge, but similar reasoning to the above ultimately won out.

On a tangential note, I don't think the rules specify this, but I also assume you can't use New Assignment to change the CDC's role. Surely there are times when a single Scientist is more useful than the entire Center for Disease Control. (Actually, I just got a really funny idea about changing the Bio-Terrorist's role with a New Assignment card. "I'll be good, I promise!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mathgrant wrote:
use all of the roles except for Dispatcher, Epidemiologist, Field Operative, Local Liaison, and Researcher

Yes.

Quote:
you can't use New Assignment to change the CDC's role

Correct. The CDC is not a "player".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.