5 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first win with a Shuttle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played a match against a fairly regular opponent at the FLGS today. I was running Captain J and Colonel J (I mix up which is which - surely I'm not the only one!) and a couple Scimitars each with an Assault Missile. The shuttle was (just for kicks) set up with the Target Lock Super-Combo(TM) of Fire Control System, ST-321 Title, and Weapons Engineer. The Colonel or Captain (whichever one is in the bomber) had a seismic charge also.

His list was admittedly (by him) weak, being made up of super-focused Kyle, (Recon, Crow title, and Blaster Turret) plus Dutch (Ion cannon and that nearsighted scrap-heap Target Locking astromech) and Horton (with both regular AND advanced Proton Torps, and Blaster Turret).

He was using his action swapping to good effect, getting off both the regular and advanced proton torp for major damage. Nevertheless, since he did not outright kill any bombers in the first round, I was able to strike back with one of my Assault missiles. Unfortunately, despite being lined up to fire the other one, I was hit with the "Discard a secondary weapon" crit by the proton torp before I could get my turn to fire.

Later I was able to drop my seismic charge for another damage on Kyle and Dutch, not even caring that it damaged my shuttle too.

I was on the ropes for a bit, with two bombers at 1 hull each, and a shuttle at nearly full life, against two of his ships. But, I was successful in getting him to chase my last bomber while I SLOWLY turned the shuttle around for about 3 rounds. I think he made a big error in maneuvering so that my shuttle was able to take out the last Y-wing, leaving Kyle to make a desperate attempt at escape which flew him off the board.

This was my first game to play with the shuttle or the bombers, though I have played 3 games against them. It was a lot of fun, not just due to the win, but I thought that since this may be both the first and the last time I win with the Shuttle, I should commemorate it with a Battle Report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. I feel like I enjoy close games (even if I lose) then landslide victories.

I feel like Fire Control Systems and Weapons Engineer are excessive. Did you feel that you actually got good use out of them? There's a lot you could do with those 5 points.

Personally I would drop Seismic Charge as well then you would have 7 points to add Heavy Laser Cannons on the Colonel. This would make him a much bigger threat. Maybe take some heat off of those bombers. Or if they ignore him and still go for the bombers, they have HLC breathing down their necks.

I wish I had 3 bombers to try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your questions/comments, Chris, I would first say that my goal in this list was to make a fun squad that used a Shuttle and as many bombers with ordnance as I could, not to maximize effectiveness or to be tournament worthy.

I definitely disagree with you on dropping the seismic charge. Those bombs are easily one of the most cost effective 2 points spent in the game. Likewise the Fire Control System is also a great value. I never was without a target lock and for the first few rounds helped the bombers get effectively two actions to unleash their missiles or improve their primary attacks. The Target Lock Super-Combo(TM) is probably too much to invest for competitive play, but it is a lot of fun.

I think the Heavy Laser cannon is an overrated upgrade generally, especially for 7 points. I will surely try it on some B-wings, and even a shuttle at some point. In most games against a more maneuverable list, I wouldn't expect my shuttle to be the cleanup hitter in the endgame like this time, so you might only get one shot with HLC. That's not worth 7 points to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the desire to push out a "fun" squad. Creating these random/themed/fun squads is how we learn of new strategies or combos we didn't think of before.

I guess I'd have to try it out. Since Colonel can only dish out one lock per turn, I feel like I'm missing the point of Fire Control System and Weapons Engineer.

I also agree that HLC is often overrated, but frankly while it's still overrated people are going to want to get it off the field asap. Leaves your bombers open to work without taking hits. Also having HLC will allow some significant firepower after your bombers have delivered their payloads. I could see both shuttle builds working, either being total support or additional firepower. Like I said, I don't have the bombers to try it out, and my shuttle is in the mail. Don't forget, HLC would synergize quite well with Captain Jonus allowing you to reroll 2 dice.

I've played with seismic charge a couple times but have not been too effective with it, probably due to personal inferiority. I just don't have enough targets in one place to get the proper punch out of it. I'm interested to see if it gets more use with Intelligence Agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire control system in this context was probably not necessary, mainly due to the limited options for actions on the shuttle. If I had a shuttle with engine upgrade and FCS, though, that would be a great combo because it would add the ability to target lock and boost in the same turn.

My goal with that Super-Combo was simply to ensure that there were 2 target locks per round on the Shuttle no matter what, and to pass them in the early rounds to ensure that the missiles hit, by allowing the bombers to focus.

And regarding Seismic charges, you should definitely play with them more, as they are great. Opponents often forget about them too, until it's too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.