1 Posts

Dreadfleet» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thoughts on linking campaign scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not yet played this game, but looking forward to playing out the campaign over the holidays this December, I wanted to try to come up with a few ideas for linking the scenarios a bit more closely, and giving players some incentive to win other than just the scorecard in the back of the rule book.

I'm thinking we'll play with each of the players controlling one or two ships from the Grand Alliance, and me controlling the Dreadfleet (so that they will not necessarily know what to expect from one scenario to the next, to add a bit of roleplaying flavor to the game).

I thought it would also be fun and characterful to have damage carry over from one scenario to the next, at least in some capacity, though.

My initial thoughts were simply this: if a ship is removed from play, due to either taking too many hull or crew damage cards, then that ship starts every scenario from here forward with one damage card of the corresponding type (i.e. if sunk due to too many hull damage cards, then the ship will start every scenario with one hull damage card for the remainder of the campaign). That would be to represent irreparable damage to the ship, or irreplaceable crew losses. This damage would be cumulative, so if a ship acquires too many of these cards then it's permanently sunk and out of the campaign. Players whose ships sink could then come over to the Dreadfleet side and help me control ships for the remainder of the campaign, if they're knocked out too early on. On the Dreadfleet side, the Shadewraith and Bloody Reaver would be immune, but others would follow the same rules.

Also, for dueling, how common is is for a captain to be Mortally Wounded in a duel? I was thinking of a similar idea for captains - at the end of a scenario their wound card moves down one level, and they start the next game in that state. Maybe if they are Mortally Wounded two scenarios in a row, they're dead and command passes to the First Mate (Swashbuckling 1, Command 6, no special rules). Is that way too harsh?

Thoughts on the rest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.