Subject: Recommended turn limit for a shorter game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered Yedo and I'm planning on teaching this soon with 2 players and then with 4 or 5 players.

I plan on cutting these first games short, maybe to turn 8 or 10, instead of the full 11, with the option of going longer if everyone seems interested. I expect rules need to be taught, learned, and looked up, and thus I don't want these first games to go on too long. We're used to "throwaway" games or turns when first learning anyways, since I usually do a couple practice turns for a new game, but Yedo seems like it'd be best to just keep playing (no one wants to build up for a mission then suddenly restart).

Since I haven't played Yedo before, how much is "lost" if I cut the first game short to 10 rounds? What about 9? or 8? When should I be worried about potentially cutting into turns where it "gets good with everything coming together"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
You could cut a couple rounds at least without totally killing yourself. But I wouldn't cut more than 3 rounds out if anybody wants to do any black missions in addition to a variety of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep , right.
If I teach it to some groups, we do the same.
We say, 8 rounds to start off. And on turn 6 or 7 decide if we play elven or stop at 8.
Another thing we do is help eachotjer intill the end of round four. Gor exemple... Watch out, the watchpatrol is moving thzt direction,... From turn 5, you re on your own.

If you only play 8 rounds concentrate more on red as hardest missions , in first palay. Or if you do black , pick them really early in the game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mock
United States
MELBOURNE
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jonathan and Thomas 100%. The game will run about 2 and 1/2 hours if you play it out until the end, but I have to say.. this game really gathers speed as you go. Unless everything goes your way, you will have problems completing the bigger black missions before the 10th or 11th round. As far as your question of cutting into turns where it gets good with everything coming together, I think the whole game is like that, and every turn is just another notch of adrenaline as you get closer and closer to everything actually working to complete those massive black quests.
Incidentally, I wrote a review of Yedo that got rejected. I didn't really get any reasons why it was rejected. The comments just said "borderline". As such, I've been slowly revising my original review for resubmission.
I only bring this up because Thomas poked his head in here (as he and Wolf are obsessed with the forums for their game.. Hi, Thomas.. Hi, Wolf.) and I wanted them to know that I'm still working on it.
In fact, they both read my review before I got rejected from BGG and personally responded to me via Geek Mail. That was incredibly awesome. It's was like getting an email from John Elway or something.. lol..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but I plan to stop at turn 8 for our first game.

I had no idea moderators reject reviews here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Not moderators, really. Anybody can 'mod' submissions, and many people do habitually.

Go here to do some of that yourself. It's under Misc > Geekmod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, a reply from one of the actual designers! Awesome community, and thanks for your help everyone .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hints. A good thing to remember if we ever have another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, it's as rewarding for us to be here as it may be fun for you guys. It's great to hear and feel how people play our game. It's something we put some years in, and than you just can't drop it in the world and leave it behind .
As a good father we have to show it the way around the world .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wasp wrote:
Thanks for the hints. A good thing to remember if we ever have another game.

If?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on things, but no guarantee that it will succeed! We enjoy Yedo like it will never happen again... . And than we'll see where we get next time. So 'if' is the safe word to use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great submission. I was thinking the same thing after our first play. We have some consistently "thoughtful" decision makers in our group which can lead to games going longer than the estimate... and this game offers plenty of opportunities to think. After our game I thought 8 rounds would have been a great starter game... or even short version of the game.

I would concur that if you play short to do one of 3 alternatives in regards to black missions though.
1 - Draw 3 cards and choose 1 anytime you would normally draw one black card. You want them to know how difficult they can be, and this gives them a better chance at completing one.
2 - Ignore the above and instead relax one of the requirements to complete a black card (no relaxing consumed requirements).
3 - My least favorite, don't use the black cards and just show the others how complex they can be. The big thing with red being the most difficult is the sacrifices you make in giving up prestige is not going to be so thoroughly rewarded if you only go up to red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.