J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So I very happily got to test run the Cthulhu set and at the request of a user here I decided to test run the Innsmouth deck. Apparently people here were having issues about them being useful. For those of you who don't know Innsmouthians have only 1 type of minion and 10 copies of it. It is a power 2 minion called The Locals and lets you look at the top 3 cards of your deck for more "The Locals" cards. Having so many low powered minions and no high power ones apparently caused some concern for users.

So anyway I set out with the goal of getting a good feel for the faction so I could write an analysis for them. However you might have noticed that this is posted in Sessions and not Strategy. That's because I knew that there was one thing I did not want to happen. One thing that would completely negate any attempt at coming up with a reasonable strategy if it happened. So guess what happened?

That one thing was the Homeworld popping up (after you play a minion here you may play an additional minion of power 2 or less). The Homeworld is one of the most abbusable bases in this game but Innsmouthians take it to a new level. Innsmouthian Locals can simply look for one another and you can play nearly every Local card in your deck if it comes up.

Now to be clear given the chance to use the Homworld I was not going to pass it up (hey I wanna win here) but it would mean that I'd need another session to get a good feel for them.

Anyway 4 players each with a new faction and low and behold I got the Aliens. Starting hand had 2 Locals in it and what else? Terraforming (I get to replace a base in play with one from the discard). I could hear the Homeworld calling me but the Secret Grove was also in play (more free power 2 minion plays) so I needed to tend to that first (broke quickly I got 3rd, 1 Point).

Turn 3 I couldn't hold it anymore. I had 2 Local cards in my hand with 5 more in my deck (3 in play/discard) but I also had 3 Collectors in my hand (Power 2 Alien card, return a minion of power 3 or less). One strategy I had been planning to use was to play as many Local cards as early as I could so that I would not waste my regular draws drawing them. Sadly I did not really draw any of the "Play extra minions" Innsmouthian cards so Locals were not dropping as fast as I had wanted. However more importantly we had Tricksters in and Tricksters 101 states that if you have good cards and don't use them some little Imp will be along to take it away from you.

I knew that the Homeworld would likely allow my to get every single Local card out of my deck. The collectors could return my Locals letting me play them again effectively looking at the top 15 cards for any Locals which I then could play to look even deeper for more. Terraform did the trick and 7 locals ended up on the Homeworld with a few Collectors scattered about. Eventually it crumbled with me in first (4 points, 5 total)

After this I set my sights on the Antarctic base. The Elder things were working on breaking it and a Leprechaun saw to it that only the Strongest of the Strong minions would be allowed in. My Supreme Leader Slipped in picking me up a tied second place (3 Points, 8 points total)

Now I knew it was time for the Aliens to steal the show and the Invasion began. An Invader attacked the Asylum letting me get rid of one of the only 2 madness's I had that game and I beamed him up (1 Point, 9 Points total).

Next up I used my Invader to break the Rhodes Mall with 2 of my minions on it (1 Point +2 points, 12 points total) but rather than discarding my invader he returned to the sea (My hand).

Invader Crop Circles (13 points)

And lastly I got my second Invader So I double invaded for the last few points.I ended up with 1 madness in my deck giving me an easy first.

Sadly my Homeworld play kind pushed the Innsmouthians out of the Spot light. There are actually some tactics in card games whereby you remove all the garbage from your deck and your left with just good draws and I thought The locals might be something like this. You get them out quickly and fast and your left with a pretty lean deck full of good cards. Plus thanks to madnesses you can move through your deck faster to find your best cards. Though the Homeworld did do this the Homeworld won't be there for you every game so I plan to give them a second try anad here's where you guys come in. Pick what they will be linked to my next game (Note: Not aliens or any other Cthulhu Faction).

Poll
What Type of Innsomouthians will I be Playing Next time?
Bear Calvary
Dinosaurs
Ghosts
Ninjas
Pirates
Plants
Robots
Steampunk
Tricksters
Wizards
Zombies
      24 answers
Poll created by allstar64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i voted for robots. they are EVERYWHERE!!! lol cant wait to give this a try. they might be as good as bear cavalry pirates lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Have to be honest with you guys. I left Robots (and Zombies) on the poll cause I didn't think people would actually vote for them due to how strong they always perform. Robots Specialize in lots of small plays which is also Insomouthians specialty so there is tons of synergy there especially with the Robot Tech Center. In fact the polls we have show that Robots are regularly viewed as one of the strongest factions in this game and there's a danger of them overshadowing Insomouthians too which would work against what I'm trying to accomplish.

Robot - Insomouthians would work and probably very well but I don't think I'd be able to convince my regular group to let me play them (Less I draw them randomly which is how we usually do new factions). Further I cannot in good conscious request Robots against new players cause it would probably scar them and they might never want to play with me again.

Since they're viewed as being so strong I'm requesting that people not vote for Robots or Zombies cause I don't want to have to specifically request them during a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i actually tried insmouth robots today and they didnt synergize as well as i had hoped. maybe i just had a bad draw day.

also tried elder things, dinosaurs which also under performed what i had expected. perhaps after the decks are better shuffled from a few plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Borynski
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Must have been a bad draw with robots. Everytime I've played against robots/innsmouth they have been a wrecking ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone. Had my second game already and after telling my friends the circumstance they voted for me to have plants. Ultimately a loss but not because of any weakness of the Innsmouthians but rather because my 2 opponents did a good job at holding me back after I took a nice small lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.