Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it a bit underwhelming that there were several dice showing a "1" in our game tonight, so I thought of a house rule to reroll anything that is a "1" in order to have more incentive to sell one of those produce types.

After all, a die showing a "1" is no different than if that color die wasn't there at all!

Thoughts?

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have suggested a varying price market but not had the opportunity to try it.

Every time a goods type is delivered, the die value drops by one (but never going lower than 1). Every time a truck with the goods in demand passes by (e.g. to deliver a good in another village to meet a market card conditions), the price rises by 1 (never going higher than 6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
I thought it a bit underwhelming that there were several dice showing a "1" in our game tonight, so I thought of a house rule to reroll anything that is a "1" in order to have more incentive to sell one of those produce types.

Why is this important as anything more than a "feel good" ? There are still other reasons for making deliveries anyway, and it's not like you're selling at a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:

After all, a die showing a "1" is no different than if that color die wasn't there at all!

Thoughts?

Cameron

Hmmm...I thought I had read that any '1' value would equal '2' instead, for the very reason that you are a bit underwhelmed. However, re-reading the rules just now, I don't see where that is and can't confirm it. So perhaps I totally dreamed it up!! But that's what we do, anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:

Every time a goods type is delivered, the die value drops by one (but never going lower than 1). Every time a truck with the goods in demand passes by (e.g. to deliver a good in another village to meet a market card conditions), the price rises by 1 (never going higher than 6).

That actually sounds pretty interesting. A simple little variant to tweak decision making...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would add more fiddliness and AP potential to a game I would want to keep light.

The villages are supposed to have 4/3/2/3/4 goods "in demand", so the dice there should not have the same value as a good they don't want.

Jason: I thought about making them simply a two. I haven't had a chance to play with this variant yet though.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielemitkinder wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

That actually sounds pretty interesting. A simple little variant to tweak decision making...

Why not play with average dice then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we tested something similar...raising and lowering the dice on either harvest or sell. But we could have called it "Fiddly City" because it was super-laborious... and I'm just not interested in making a game like that. There are still PLENTY of things to burn your brain in this game...It didn't add, only took away form the experience.. So, "House rule" it with caution...and make sure that you let people know at the table that it's a house rule, so they know that it's not an accurate depiction of how the game was intended to be played. There were better mechanics that were implemented for a while like "during game crop majority seller" that were far superior than the up/down dice thing... But ultimately, the game had too much going on for it's target audience. As far as the "reroll/change 1 dice", it also didn't add enough to the game experience to add one more step to the set up. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike berk
United States
rancho cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the dice with a 1 rolled, doesn't it seem odd that a good a city wants is the same value as undesired goods?

Really enjoyed the game as played, a lot more thinking going on, then I thought at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the easiest is just to bump them up to 2's. Adds virtually no time to the setup.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisHandy wrote:
Yes, we tested something similar...raising and lowering the dice on either harvest or sell. But we could have called it "Fiddly City" because it was super-laborious... and I'm just not interested in making a game like that. There are still PLENTY of things to burn your brain in this game...It didn't add, only took away form the experience.. So, "House rule" it with caution...and make sure that you let people know at the table that it's a house rule, so they know that it's not an accurate depiction of how the game was intended to be played. There were better mechanics that were implemented for a while like "during game crop majority seller" that were far superior than the up/down dice thing... But ultimately, the game had too much going on for it's target audience. As far as the "reroll/change 1 dice", it also didn't add enough to the game experience to add one more step to the set up. Enjoy!

Thanks Chris.

I'll give that idea up then if you have tested it and found it detracts from the smooth play of the game (and adds nothing but fiddly tediousness to the game),

Did you try average dice to smooth out the issue around rolling a 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I didn't. But, I feel there isn't a compelling enough reason to make a 1, anything other than a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Maybe the easiest is just to bump them up to 2's. Adds virtually no time to the setup.

We have found that the "going for the expensive goods" strategy often fails miserably. So I am tempted to change all of the 1s into 6s. Perhaps having a few more "expensive good" will make that strategy more viable.

Roll a 1? Just flip the die over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:

Thoughts?

Cameron

You could re-roll the dice or keep the one results and sell unwanted produce for... zero points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or... just remove the dice with one results as they are redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rinie van der Heijden
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I have been thinking about this lately and am willing to try the following:

Re-roll every 1 ánd 6! So it will be a more leveled out market with only, 2s, 3s, 4s and 5s.
(maybe re-roll 5s and 6s will be even better, leaving only 1-4 prices, I'm not sure yet).

I think just going for the 5's and 6's is a really strong playing tactic, especcialy in 4 or 5 player games this will guarentee a 1st or 2nd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The House Rule for us is to turn all rolled 1's to 2's.
Also, no two d6 of the same color are allowed in a town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rules, there should NEVER be 2 dice of the same color at the same village. If playing this way, it can break it...and cause the hyper-seller strategy to become superior for that game. I wouldn't advise any tweaking of the die rolls. All values are based on 1-6 natural die rolls. I know it's tempting for us gamers as we want to see bigger die rolls...thinking it'll lead to "more fun". But tweaking the dice messes with the values on cards...and you'll have a more unbalance game. But, I guess if you're having "fun"...not sure it matters.

Cheers! And stay tuned for a major Cinque Terre announcement soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisHandy wrote:
... stay tuned for a major Cinque Terre announcement soon!

Oooo. Excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Also, no two d6 of the same color are allowed in a town.

If you followed the setup directions correctly, this should never happen.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ChrisHandy wrote:
Cheers! And stay tuned for a major Cinque Terre announcement soon!

When is "soon" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.