Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
In phase 4, calculating current score, are you basically just adding up your VP and seeing if you have 12 or do you add those points to the ones you scored in the previous round?

It seems like it is not a running total but rather just a check to see if you have 12 VPs. If so, what is the point of the score track? If I count my points and see I don't have 12, then then game continues. I can't figure out the purpose for marking my total if I just keep sliding it to whatever my score is for the round. Is it just for your opponent to know rather than asking how close I am to winning?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Yes, you are just checking to see if you have 12. Partially, this is to keep the information easily available to your opponent. Partially, it made it much easier to write the rules - because your score can go down (by building the 0 point bistro) or stay flat even though you build something, it was much easier to describe taking an updated count than to say "check if you have 12 VP" in a clear manner for non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It always made sense to me to have the information readily available. It's available anyway, since you can just add up all the VP on the board. But I think that this way:
a) a really important part of the game is now available to you without extra calculation, taking away brainspace and allowing you to focus more on your tactics/strategy or just enjoying each others' company and
b) it's easy to change after each round since you can easily check the changes you've made rather than needing to count up everything each time.

I think that if you and your opponent prefer to leave the scoring markers out the game (just letting the other person know when you won), you could totally do that. I think it'd detract from my personal experience, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.