Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the drill - you have a collage of images lined up on a page and would need to quickly slice it down to individual images.

Is there a standalone tool to do that?

GIMP has a plugin where you can create a grid of guides and then Slice the image by them, but if a small standalone tool with some basic options would exist (e.g. set automatic distance horizontaly/verticaly between cuts, or by percentage etc.), it would be great...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess posterazor will do it (only used it to cut down a big map to A4 sheets, but I guess you can configure it to whatever size you need to cut to).

If you don't mind command-line tools, ImageMagick is probably the best answer. Here are some examples of splitting an image into smaller tiles:
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/#crop_tile

EDIT:
Look at the "As of IM v6.4.8-4 you can also use special Filename Percent Escapes to generate and include special labels into the output filename. ..." example. Looks like just what you need, just replace rose with whatever your image is called. Not that I tested.

EDIT2:
Actually, it is probably only simpler, from one of the other examples:
convert rose: -crop 20x20 +repage +adjoin rose_tiles_%02d.gif

(Just put yourimage.png or whatever instead of the magic rose: test image.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know Posterazor only produces PDFs?

I was aware of Imagemagick, but that is really the last resort for me - being manual tweaking whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF from PosteRazor is likely to just be one big bitmap per page, so it should be easy to convert each tile back to some other format without losses (eg using convert from ImageMagick ).

It looks simple enough to use ImageMagick for this really. Just measure the size of each tile in Gimp and then you should be able to get the right command-line in a few seconds. Nice thing is once you have that you can just save it and reuse, something that is never fun to do with GUI tools.

EDIT: Also I saw there were some other options to convert you could use, eg to tell it how many tiles to create rather than what size each should be. Might be even easier to use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, converting PDF to images is really another (useless, for me...) step.

And when I am in Gimp already, I would not use Imagemagick anyway, as the "Grid of Guides" script together with Slice does the same in roughly the same amount of time...

That is why I am searching for such a tool that would combine this all into a small package and let me quickly define the slices by size/percentage and export those images...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which platform?

Foe MacOS, SliceAndDice is the tool (Stone software).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wee-n-doze

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use "splitz" - it's a really old tool, but I couldn't find anything newer. I like it as I can "load" a set of lines to cut on, and use it for each page that I need to cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use http://www.chip.de/downloads/Snipping-Tool-Plus_47471201.htm... (it´s German, but never mind, you don´t need to be able to speak German at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitz is nice! Too bad it has no "grid" creation (I mean defining a repeating cell-size and going from there), but for manual work it is easier and faster to launch and operate than Gimp.

Snipping tools is a screengrabber only, so not what I am searching for, but thx anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.