Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played with the Royal Bonus for the first time. We saw Fauns, Behemoth, Fireball, and Shrubmen in play. The Igors showed up in the last round, but never made it in play.

The only slight ruleproblem we had was when the Fauns attacked the Pygmies.

I what order would you give back the pygmies their conquored tokens?

A) Give back the pygmies all of their conquored tokens. The pygmies do not roll the reinforcement die, as they have not lost any tokens.

B) First you get all your tokens back, then you roll once for each conquored token, to see if they get any reinformcement from the storage tray (up to the number of Pygmies left).

C) Each time you Pygmy token is conquored, roll a reinforcement die and receive as many new Pygmies from the storage tray as you rolled pips on the die (up to the number of Pygmies left). At the end of the turn, you also get a number of Pygmies back equal to the number conquored regions (up to the number of Pygmies left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An official answer can be found at the bottom of this thread from the DoW forums:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=27866&start=0

It doesn't directly apply here, but I'd guess C is the right answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is essentially a turn-order question. We know what to do, we are just trying to figure out the order of operations.
The phases of standard turn order are as follows:
Quote:
TURN ORDER
1) Enter the game map (if you are a new race.) Or muster your available RTs (abandoning any regions you choose to.)
2) Conquer regions using RTs from your hand.
3) Roll for your Final Conquest attempt if needed.
4) Redeploy your RTs to/from any regions you occupy. (You may not now abandon regions.)
5) Place/move defensive tiles if applicable.
6) Score Victory Coins. Count in-decline races first, then active regions, then bonuses.
7) Opponents redeploy any RTs bumped from the board to their hands by your conquests.

Now let's look at the Pygmies. We know that we roll the die when we are conquered. And we know that they essentially go to our hand until the end of the current player's turn. That means we roll immediately in Phase 2 of the current player's turn, place them in our hand for use, and deploy them during Phase 7 (when all other players are putting their defeated tokens back on the board.)

Now the Fauns. The rules state...
Royal Bonus Rules wrote:
During Troop Redeployment, collect 1...your victims also receive 1...
This is happening in Phase 4, then. What is perhaps unclear here is whether the "victim" also gets to place his token during the current player's Phase 4.

One could argue that since the same word is used: "receive" (as in the Pygmy definition) that this new token for the victim is also "placed on the board at the end of the current player's turn." Meanwhile, it stays "in hand". In fact, I can't think of any exception to this basic rule: victims' tokens return to the board during Phase 7 (in clockwise order, if it matters).

So let's break it down:
I am the Pygmies. I have 2 tokens in a region and 1 in the tray, and I'm still active. The Fauns player conquers the region...
> 1 token goes to the tray. (I now have 2 tokens there.)
> The other token goes to my hand.
> I immediately roll the die and come up with 1 pip. I place 1 of the 2 tokens from the tray into my hand.
> When the Fauns stop conquering and move into Phase 4, they take 1 new Faun from the tray, and simultaneously they give me 1 new Pygmy from the tray.
> The Fauns player places/arranges his troops. I now have 3 tokens in hand and none left in the tray.
> After the Fauns score for this turn, I place my 3 Pygmies back onto the board.

What if my roll leaves no tokens in the tray?
> If there are no tokens in the tray before you roll we know that you get 0 tokens, regardless of the roll. The roll is immediate during Phase 2, and the result is taken from the tray instantly. This is always true, regardless of who attacks you.
> If (due to a lucky roll) there are no tokens left in the tray after you roll, 1 of 2 things may happen: (a) when Phase 4 comes around if you still have no tokens in the tray you get no new tokens (proving the Fauns were smart!) or (b) perhaps you lose another token or two before the Fauns stop their rampage, and perhaps you don't roll so well for those conquests. You will get the tokens in the tray (although perhaps less than you're due) during Phase 4 of the current player's turn, as promised in the Fauns' description.

(The player aids that the above turn order was taken from are here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't that say you have 3 tokens in hand to put back in play in phase 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Good catch. I changed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Np, it was a darn good write up, and answered his question better than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.