Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of many Apps that make you buy multiple copies of the same DLC to get more than one ship of each type.

I know that 'Sid Meier's Ace Patrol' has been compared to Wings of War quite a bit - and plays with a lot of the same strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not.

Some games are simply not meant to go digital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good Vassal module for the game. It's got movement shortcuts built in, so you don't have to fiddle with aligning the templates to place your ship. And yes, wait times on your opponent can be dreadful if they aren't working on being speedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
atraangelis wrote:
I hope not.

Some games are simply not meant to go digital.

Why do you think this one is "not meant to go digital"... seems like the perfect system for it, very little if any compromise of the rules or gameplay...

Curious

I quite like the miniature aspect. They're quite pretty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
There's a good Vassal module for the game. It's got movement shortcuts built in, so you don't have to fiddle with aligning the templates to place your ship. And yes, wait times on your opponent can be dreadful if they aren't working on being speedy.

I gave up on bothering trying to get that to work because the tutorial was talking about having to move all the templates into place and stuff and it sounded miserable.

But that stuff is automated?

But yeah, this game would be great digital! Not eveyone has to like it, but you can't say it wouldn't work.

Im not sure what FFG's stance is on this, have they talked about it much? I know they have elder sign. And a dice app that's priced like a boardgame, not like an app.

DoW seems to do great using digital stuff to advertise their game. Ascension the same way it appears. GMT seems to take a . . . weird approach . . . kinda amateur but we'll see if it ever bears fruit.

It'd be nice to be able to find opponents for X-wing anytime I want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

I gave up on bothering trying to get that to work because the tutorial was talking about having to move all the templates into place and stuff and it sounded miserable.

But that stuff is automated?

The early modules were all manual, save for some range overlays you could toggle. The 3rd or 4th iteration added automated movement templates. Barrel Roll is still done manually, last I checked, but the straight, bank, and turn maneuvers all had automated options added in.

Quote:
It'd be nice to be able to find opponents for X-wing anytime I want!

Another quirk on Vassal is that the server only lets you see certain other modules, and unless you both have the same module AND add-on packs, you probably won't be able to play against each other. But it's not a big deal to install the updated module and add in the extensions when they come out...which is pretty darn quick after release.

There's a decent sized Vassal community. Head over to Team Covenant http://teamcovenant.com/, it's one of the main games that site is hosting now. They're in the middle of their second Vassal tournament, and there's always a lot of traffic and discussion about the game going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren B.
msg tools
mbmb
One could argue that the X-Wing miniatures game is tabletop version of the classic LucasArts computer games X-wing (1993) and Tie Fighter (1994)

I consider the PC-DOS Tie Fighter Collector's cd-rom my all-time favorite game. It really perfected what X-wing had started. Btw. ignore the horrible Windows 95 versions of both games.

I re-installed Tie Fighter a few days ago and it plays really well on a Windows 7 laptop. Windows gives you General Midi compatible music options during sound setup so you get to enjoy the full effect of the dynamic iMuse musical score.
Only problem with the game is a slight stutter in speaks given during mission briefings. Tie Fighter is still a great game that gives you quite a challenge on Hard difficulty if you want all secondary and bonus goals.

For anyone interested: here's a guide for installing Tie Fighter on Windows 7: http://web.archive.org/web/20120605054357/http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/03/guide-play-x-wing-series-on-windows-7-with-an-xbox-360-controller/?page=6
(you have to copy the entire line above for the address to work)
There are links at the bottom for most of the other X-wing games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As much as I love the miniature aspect of this game, the movement system, perhaps more so than any other miniature game I've played, lends itself more towards a digital system. A slight 1 degree change in your ship's direction by a table bump can cause an entire formation to crash to a halt. And how many times have you measured from one base to another, only to have to roll off (or find an outside party) to determine if something is range 2 or 3.

A digital medium would remove a lot of these headaches. That said, I would probably stick to tabletop anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if there wasn't some sort of licensing issue with Star Wars in the electronic form, my guess is that it wouldn't happen. Only because of the shift in the purchasing dynamic. You buy an electronic copy of the game and I can't see how they would limit the number of ships they can charge you for. Sure there would be expansion waves and access to new ships, but I'm thinking that they would have a hard time limiting the numbers without loosing the customer.

For example, you buy the miniatures base set and you get one x-wing and two ties. If you want to field a larger battle you need to buy more ships. In the electronic game I can't see them selling access to one x-wing as the base game and then charging money for more x-wings. I can see them charging for different types of ships and even opening a market to ships that might not be available in miniature. But that would alienate the miniatures side and break up their market group and the current demand for the miniatures.

Is that too cynical? Or am I underestimating what people are willing to spend money on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
I don't see a problem with buying ships at all.

If I were to do it, I'd offer a digital code with each mini. That means you'd have to buy at a minimum, the core set, and one of each expansion.

I think the idea of being able to buy a whole fleet for say 45 or so bucks is simply unreasonable. Not when you consider the development costs behind such a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorenbuus wrote:
One could argue that the X-Wing miniatures game is tabletop version of the classic LucasArts computer games X-wing (1993) and Tie Fighter (1994)

I consider the PC-DOS Tie Fighter Collector's cd-rom my all-time favorite game. It really perfected what X-wing had started. Btw. ignore the horrible Windows 95 versions of both games.

I re-installed Tie Fighter a few days ago and it plays really well on a Windows 7 laptop. Windows gives you General Midi compatible music options during sound setup so you get enjoy the full effect of the dynamic iMuse musical score.
Only problem with the game is a slight stutter in speaks given during mission briefings. Tie Fighter is still a great game that gives you quite a challenge on Hard difficulty if you want all secondary and bonus goals.

For anyone interested: here's a guide for installing Tie Fighter on Windows 7: http://web.archive.org/web/20120605054357/http://www.savingcontent.com/2012/03/guide-play-x-wing-series-on-windows-7-with-an-xbox-360-controller/?page=6
(you have to copy the entire line above for the address to work)
There are links at the bottom for most of the other X-wing games as well.

I was going to say, "Yes, and it's called X-Wing" but someone beat me to it!

I really would like to see a redo of XvT, or if anything, just release the same game on Steam updated to run on modern machines (they did that for Dark Forces already)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holt
United States
Brooklyn
United States
flag msg tools
nuthin to see here
badge
honestly! you're rather nosey
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG can't even print digital copies of the RPG books- I'm sure the dice application is as close to digital they can get under the current license. There are bigger interests that have the license for digital Star Wars game.

I remember Wizkids having similar issues in trying to make a digital gaming version of their Heroclix games(specifically the DC and Marvel properties). The iOS/Ipad interface toys skirt the edge of this- but having a full digital game steps on the toes of other license holders.

Unless they can reach a deal with someone that has access to the license, or unless the agreement they are under allows them to do something that isn't totally a digital game (something AR that involves the physical objects still being the main component perhaps), I don't think you'll see a digital version of this game beyond the Rogue Squadron style shooters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K

Wisconsin
msg tools
EA has the license for all the digital versions forms of Star Wars. No reason to think they couldn't license the Flight Path system from FFG and do a collaborative digital version of it. Could see this being great on a tablet with touch controls. Doubt it will happen, but you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like Google Play & iTunes would be perfevt for this. The poker app on my phone allows players to restock chips for $2+ depending on how many chips you want, why not make the game so for $9.99 you get the base box and for $3 each, you can add ships to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Neutron
msg tools
mbmb
If this game came out for iPhone, I might actually be able to play more than once a month....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.