Subject: Hoth Cycle Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while back someone was asking about building a deck using only cards from the Hoth Cycle, and that got me thinking, a complete set of the Hoth Cycle is 360 cards, precisely enough for six simultaneous decks.

So, here's the challenge, using only one complete set of the Hoth Cycle (so two copies of each factioned pod, two copies of Preparation For Battle, Hold the Line, Endless Reserves, and one copy of Sabotage in the Snow, Shadows on the Ice, Frozen Refuge and Echo Base Defense) can you make a viable deck for each faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
A while back someone was asking about building a deck using only cards from the Hoth Cycle, and that got me thinking, a complete set of the Hoth Cycle is 360 cards, precisely enough for six simultaneous decks.

So, here's the challenge, using only one complete set of the Hoth Cycle (so two copies of each factioned pod, two copies of Preparation For Battle, Hold the Line, Endless Reserves, and one copy of Sabotage in the Snow, Shadows on the Ice, Frozen Refuge and Echo Base Defense) can you make a viable deck for each faction?

I haven't tried yet, but frankly I wouldn't try to do all six. I feel like, failing at that, you'd be dismissive of how many decks you COULD build just using Hoth cycle cards. My goal now that I finally got the last pack, is to see what I can actually come up with. It's an open ended goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the set distribution like between factions? It sure felt like Navy got a lot more than any other, which might make the deck-building tougher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each Faction? No, since there aren't that many Hoth cards for some factions. For example, Jedi only have one Hoth Objective Set (the new one that has Luke Skywalker), so you really couldn't make a Jedi only Hoth deck. There are also I think ZERO Scum and Villainy Hoth Objective Sets. There aren't that many Sith ones either...

You can make a killer Alliance + Neutral deck. You can also make a good Navy deck (though I tend to include Vader since it looks like he's on Hoth even if the set doesn't have the "Hoth" keyword). Smuggler and Spies have a few Hoth sets, but not enough to make a good deck out of (you really need to supplement it with Alliance sets).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's looking for Hoth-themed decks, just decks built using only cards from the Hoth cycle.

Rebels and Navy are going to be the standouts, with Snowspeeders and Star Destroyers/AT-ATs respectively. Smugglers got some decent pods that work together, so you could have some fun with that deck as well.

On the other hand, Jedi, Sith and Villainy are all going to be pretty weak. They have some decent cards, but nothing that really joins together to make a good deck. The objective sets needed to make any of their strategies actually work are in the core set or EoD box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend built a LS Hoth Speeder Deck...killed everyone of my DS decks until I built a DS Hoth Deck built around AT-ATs. It certainly was a great thematic battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
I don't think he's looking for Hoth-themed decks, just decks built using only cards from the Hoth cycle.

Rebels and Navy are going to be the standouts, with Snowspeeders and Star Destroyers/AT-ATs respectively. Smugglers got some decent pods that work together, so you could have some fun with that deck as well.

On the other hand, Jedi, Sith and Villainy are all going to be pretty weak. They have some decent cards, but nothing that really joins together to make a good deck. The objective sets needed to make any of their strategies actually work are in the core set or EoD box.

The straight Scum and Villainy deck isn't actually that bad. It's got a nice mercenary theme going on. Though I agree about the Sith and Jedi decks. I have the feeling there might be a very unconventional Jedi deck using Undercover Dealings. Sith and Imperial are probably going to solve best as a mix of both, a space deck, using the Death Squad Star Destroyers and Executor, and a Ground deck using the 501st, Veers, and the Walkers.

I probably should have pointed out at the top, this isn't about monofaction decks per say, or about creating really good decks, it's just a puzzle to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McBride
msg tools
You can't build decks using only cards from the Hoth cycle. You need affiliation cards from the core set to start with.

*rimshot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.